Have any of you done the " quit smoking " thing ?
I've never smoked cigarettes , never liked the smell , but I was an occasional pipe and/or cigar smoker for many years .....cigars when I could afford a good Cuban cigar ( back when I was working ) .....and a pipe as I approached retirement on a limited income . Both were smoked in conjunction with sitting with a glass of wine or a scotch on the rocks . Very relaxing and enjoyable , with or without company . I supposed I convinced myself that they " weren't as bad " as cigarettes ....probably not true but I've never researched it .

I threw my pipe away about 2 months ago , in part because pipe tobacco reached $27 / pouch with all tha tax our government keeps piling on . So that was that and YES I do miss it but haven't deviated . Pipe replacement for a decent pipe is $75 and up !!

How have any of you made out on the subject ??

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Smoked cigarettes for 40 years, quit 14 years ago. Still miss it but I liked smoking, quit only because my daughters said they would stop talking to me if I didn't.

Cheers
Andy Kramer - modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin
The Milwaukee Road is alive and well and running in my basement
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.milwaukeemodelers.net">www.milwaukeemodelers.net</a><!-- w -->
I have been a heavy smoker since the first break at the first day in school. Some older boys offered me a cigarette in a quiet corner of the schoolyard for free and I like it from the very beginning.
I quit about 20 years ago. It was an extreme painful process. The first three month were like hell. I was often siting home in the evening and had tears in my eyes. All my mind was demanding a cigarette. An awful time... for my staff in the office too. I was for some time the worst manager ever seen.
I was through the painful time after about one year. After some years did my mind flip to the other side. I became very sensitive for tobacco smoke and hate it like shit. It simply stinks awful. I guess my subconscious mind is also afraid to go that time again and protects itself.
The good news is that because that time was so awful I will never do it again! Ones was enough for my lifetime.

Why did I quit?
- The constant cough was nasty
- Temporary dizziness was somewhat alarming
- None smoking areas were growing like mushrooms. It became very inconvenient to smoke
- The entire office building was none smoking area. Standing in rain and snow to smoke ......
- All flights became none smoking. The entire Houston airport became a none smoking area. A police officer approached me lighting me first cigarette after the flight "outside" the building but on airport property
- Hotel rooms became none smoking by default
- Rented cars became none smoking be default

ps. My wife quit together with me and provided full support.
Reinhard
I started smoking in 1969 when I was 14.....I quit in January 2009 when I spent 4 nights in the hospital. I liked smoking. However when I left the hospital on that 5th morning I was a non-smoker and have no intentions of ever going back. The whole concept of smoking now seems incredibly stupid,on so many levels that I just can't fathom it.
I started smoking a pipe in university. It wasn't anything I really enjoyed.
I just drifted out of it because I seldom had all the required apparatus with me at the same time.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Smoked for 49 years. Tried quitting many times. After my wife passed away I used a patch and still use an e-cigarette. However I am diluting the juice and slowly tapering off. When my wife was alive she smoked 2 cartons a week and I smoked one carton. Since I no longer smoke I'm saving about $600 a month. That alone is cause to quit.

I too have become sensitive to the smoke of others. Definitely no longer enjoy the smell/taste of a cigarette.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
I was up to 2-2 1/2 packs a day until March 2005..That's when I had a massive heart attack and made a round trip to death's door. For three weeks I laid near death in a induce coma and connected to life support. After a week in step down I was place in a nursing home for extended care for 30 days. I lost the use of my right hand and had to learn to do everything with one hand. Physical therapy return very limited use of my right hand. Due to the trauma I ended up with diabetes. The lower left side of my heart is damage, I have a pacemaker/defibrillator and take 12 pills a day to stay alive and use a inhaler. Think of my heart being a 6 cylinder car that's hitting on 4 cylinders because that's what the doctors tell me.. 12 years later I still take 12 pills a day to stay alive,still use a inhaler and have regain 80% use of my right hand. Needless to say I haven't smoke since March 2005.

If you haven't done so quit! Remember smoking is like Russian roulette sooner or later the hammer will fall on the loaded chamber.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
One day I started coughing up blood. Had a cough for years (had been smoking cigs for about 40 years). Went to a doctor, they ran tests, did a bronk and told me I had stage 3 inoperable lung cancer. They could give me radiation and chemo and I would have about 1 and half years. Otherwise 3-4 months. That was 2002 and I am still free of the lung cancer. It left me with COPD and I use a inhaler and a nebulizer, between em' 5 times a day. Needless to say I haven't smoked since.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Yup, tried that close to 50 years ago and it's worked. Kudos to those here that have had health issues and were able to quit in time, and to those that have quit just because they didn't want any health issues. I started when I was just a teenager and it was cool. Everyone in movies did it, and tobacco ads where everywhere and they were only fifteen cent a pack, a far cry from today's prices which makes me wonder why anyone would start now knowing what kind of issues that smoking causes and today's costs. When I quit, there was only one way, cold turkey and it was tough, but I got through it by giving up everything else that I used to do when I smoked. That meant giving up beer and a few group sporting things, but after about a year, I was able to go back doing them without smoking. So perseverance and education should be enough to get anyone through the process today....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Wow , 15 cents / pack ....here in Ontario I think it is around $10 for the name brands and a bit cheaper for no-name these days . . Guy next door to me in his 50's is a heavy smoker and , yes , it is in conjunction with beer ....can't seem to have one without the other . He has tried ( I would say half-heartedly ) to quit with no success .....like you say , you need to quit everything related to it .
The guys on here who have been long time smokers , and quit , should be congratulated for persevering .....very difficult I'm sure .

T
teejay Wrote:Wow , 15 cents / pack ....here in Ontario I think it is around $10 for the name brands and a bit cheaper for no-name these days . . Guy next door to me in his 50's is a heavy smoker and , yes , it is in conjunction with beer ....can't seem to have one without the other . He has tried ( I would say half-heartedly ) to quit with no success .....like you say , you need to quit everything related to it .
The guys on here who have been long time smokers , and quit , should be congratulated for persevering .....very difficult I'm sure .

T
Yeah, back in the 50's they were fifteen cents, which relates to $1.50 in today's money. Still cheep by today's prices. As kids, if you only had a few pennies, the local storekeeper had a pack open that he'd sell what we called, "loosies" for one cent each. When I quit in the late 60's, they were still around 30 cents a pack. Back then, the government wasn't interested in getting folks to stop, it was a fashion statement that everyone did, and kids did to appear grown up.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
teejay Wrote:Wow , 15 cents / pack ....here in Ontario I think it is around $10 for the name brands and a bit cheaper for no-name these days . . Guy next door to me in his 50's is a heavy smoker and , yes , it is in conjunction with beer ....can't seem to have one without the other . He has tried ( I would say half-heartedly ) to quit with no success .....like you say , you need to quit everything related to it .

T

TJ, I never like the taste of beer so, my thing was coffee and cigarettes and up until 2005 I always had a cup of coffee in my hand at home and at work I had several cups a day especially while doing my paper work-the shipping/receiving office always had fresh coffee.

Today I limit myself to 3 cups a day instead of the 2-3 pots I use to drink.

Over the 2004 Christmas week shut down for general maintenance one of the wags in the maintenance department made a cup holder and welded it to my assigned forklift and tied a ribbon and bow on the cup holder.. It worked quit well..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Amazing you could sleep at night with all that coffee .........2 cups for me and |I'm wide awake at bedtime Crazy

T
teejay Wrote:Amazing you could sleep at night with all that coffee .........2 cups for me and |I'm wide awake at bedtime Crazy

T

TJ, Sleep came easy especially after 10-12 hours of work your body will shut down for that needed rest when your head hits the pillow. I doze off when watching a movie even though I drink three cups a day..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Never started. Wife stopped many years ago.