We need your feedback, all of you...
Can you explain what you mean by "Right now, we can't interact with many social sites and we'd like to be able to do just that."
I have no idea how Big Blue and e.g. Facebook or Twitter could interact to my advantage.
Reinhard
I use Facebook...and there are a few MRR sites on there that I enjoy but I certainly dont use them the way I use forums such as this. Could there be a benefit to this site linking to something like Facebook...maybe. Would there be downsides..I don't think so but can't guarantee it. But I certainly wouldn't want to see it morph into a social media site.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.facebook.com/groups/646778685374576/?ref=ts&fref=ts">https://www.facebook.com/groups/6467786 ... ts&fref=ts</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.facebook.com/groups/353743434744468/?ref=ts&fref=ts">https://www.facebook.com/groups/3537434 ... ts&fref=ts</a><!-- m -->
I took it to mean Facebook Groups .....maybe I'm wrong on that .
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
teejay Wrote:When I play Pogo games , scrabble , word whomp .....then bridge on another site , I' noticed advertisements off to the side , of items I've been googling for previously . It's a little unnerving to think that I'm being tracked as to what products I'm looking at on google . This hasn't happened just once , it's been many times .

I needed a garage door opener , checked for products on line and those ads were shown on the game I was playing . Same with Ikea furniture that I had been considering as well as a new 32" tv for my wife's room . The ads showed up for a couple of days then .
One thing I do is to keep my ad blocker on. Sometimes I cant' get access to a site if I don't turn it off and so I move on. If I search for something on Amazon, I'm getting emails for the same or similar products, but no ads. Again, our commitment when starting Big Blue was no ads of any kind, no sponsor ads either, so you can count on that being this way regardless of what platform we use and what features we use.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Guys, let's say I am very happy with Blue and the format is great. If I have a complaint it would be on the limit and method of uploading pictures. The one picture at a time is really obsolete and I have not done any posting that requires more than one or two pictures because of that, and I use the site for the pictures. It would be nice to be able to write a post, with pictures, with word or a similar program and copy and paste the whole post, including photos into a thread,
I don't mind if you want to be able to interact with social media, as long as the people that don't use it are not affected/effected 35 (which ever is correct)
I have not been real active lately and it isn't because of the forum, I just hit a rough stretch of road and it is a relief to be able to read the posts without posting too much.
Thanks to everyone for being here.
Charlie
Thank you to all the administrators,moderators and everyone else behind the scene who have made this such a great web-site.Personally being "technically challenged" and one of those ''old farts'',my opinion would be "if it's not broken,don't fix it".Keep up the excellent work ,I really appreciate all your hard work.
teejay Wrote:When I play Pogo games , scrabble , word whomp .....then bridge on another site , I' noticed advertisements off to the side , of items I've been googling for previously . It's a little unnerving to think that I'm being tracked as to what products I'm looking at on google . This hasn't happened just once , it's been many times .

I needed a garage door opener , checked for products on line and those ads were shown on the game I was playing . Same with Ikea furniture that I had been considering as well as a new 32" tv for my wife's room . The ads showed up for a couple of days then .

Yup!!! Google has ad/browsing tie ins. If you googleize anything at all, google remembers where you went. It then talks to other places you visit and coordinates the ads to match your interests. This is probably happening on our old site now, but as Don said, we won't let it happen here!!!!

You signed on to the "usage and feedback" permission when you first used Google. That's the permission you give Google to coordinate the ads. Sad Sad Sad

Now what really scares me, is when I visit certain stores, if I have the location service activated on my phone, I get specific ads for that store... from Google.. That's a bit more than I care for, so I always keep the GPS/Location turned off, unless I'm navigating.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I am content with what we have now.
The only other forum I look at is RMWeb.

I don't use social media and I try to keep my wife from using Googol. I like the way the photos work as I don't store anything like that in the cloud or the smog.
The only change I might like is post ratings (see RMWeb) rather than making a new post that says "Right on."
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
"The one picture at a time is really obsolete and I have not done any posting that requires more than one or two pictures because of that, and I use the site for the pictures. "

I don't understand, I post multiple pics with text all the time ????
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I'm guessing that he means that in other forums,with a different type of system, he can load multiple pictures, lets say 4 pics by using 4 mouseclicks and then actually embed them in a post by a 5th click and using only one visit to his gallery at PB or his computer gallery...wheras here the whole procedure for 4 might require 12 clicks and 4 individual trips to his gallery.
Yeah, batch loading is something that we could use. When you can do that, you can select a bunch of photos from your computer, then upload them all at the same time rather than how we do it, select one, upload it, select another and upload and so forth.... I'm not sure, but I think that our old Gauge forum, that was using vBulletin, could batch upload. Whatever we do, we will not compromise the simplicity, look and feel that we have now, we just want to fix the broken parts, mostly those that we deal with in the background that are becoming difficult to work with.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:Yeah, batch loading is something that we could use. When you can do that, you can select a bunch of photos from your computer, then upload them all at the same time rather than how we do it, select one, upload it, select another and upload and so forth.... I'm not sure, but I think that our old Gauge forum, that was using vBulletin, could batch upload. Whatever we do, we will not compromise the simplicity, look and feel that we have now, we just want to fix the broken parts, mostly those that we deal with in the background that are becoming difficult to work with.

Honestly, I don't find the present system for adding pics to posts to be simple or user-friendly at all...
Yeah ,I don't mind loading pics one at a time ......I'm retired , lots of time on my hands ! Icon_lol Icon_lol
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
I use the site and upload the picture to the site directly. there is a five picture limit to each post and then you upload them one at a time, then do your typing and then place the pictures in line. I have my preference set to view the last post first, therefore if someone does what I do, and continues with another post to accommodate another 5 posts they come up with the second section last. I am not lazy but sometimes I have missed some things because the post can't be one continuous thread. I know there are ways to do it because Wayne does it and I appreciate him taking the time to do it, but just because there is a way to do something in a round about way is it practical to ignore finding an easier way. I can post hundreds of pictures at a time to some of the sites, not that I want to do that here, but if making things easier is not possible that's ok too.
Storing photos in one or the other forum is not what I prefer. It is best for me to store photos in professional photo containers and refer to them from wherever it is needed. That is straight forward to me as I try to refrain from discussions via comments in photo containers but do all my discussions in forums.
Reinhard