8x1.5 foot Port Able Railway HO Scale Time Saver Variation
The track plan makes perfect sense to me Mike and yes I wouldn't trade your time with the 2 year old either! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Mike Kieran Wrote:One comment that people have made to me is that they were concerned about the switchback in the upper right corner of the layout. The one at the top for E.D. Ibble Foods is designed to allow for whatever car is loading at E.D.Ibble Foods as well as space for two freight cars and a locomotive with a slight space in between. At 28 inches + 9.863 inches for a total of 37.863 inches, it's a drill track with a rail served industry at the end. This way, E.D. Ibble Foods doesn't have to be emptied.

That's why I moved the turnout going to the Yard and E.D.Ibble Foods all the way to the left. So that I would have more room for the drill track lead with a train of 2 cars and a locomotive (16 inches + 6 inches).

I hope that this explains the track plan better.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Tyson Rayles Wrote:The track plan makes perfect sense to me Mike and yes I wouldn't trade your time with the 2 year old either! Thumbsup

Thanks Tyson,
My wife and daughter are an absolute delight to be with. My wife puts up with my hobby and my daughter loves choo choos.

At first, I had the turnout going toward E.D. Ibble foods all the way on the left of the middle 4 foot section. I had to have it that way to provide enough room on the switchback going into Hardley Able and Uranus Hertz for 2 cars and a locomotive. It made the runaround a little tight, but manageable. I had originally planned what Kurt suggested, but I found that it would make that switchback too short. I had discussed my plan with a renowned track planner and he mentioned the same thing. The runaround was a little tight. It was a compromise that I may have had to contend with. With Chris's suggestion, I can have the longer runaround, an easier time switching the two industries in the upper left, and still have a yard (while smaller, it will still be enough to do the job).

That made a lot of sense. I just redrew the track plan to this:

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike, Your plan has put some thoughts in my head about rebuilding Slate Creek and adding a runaround but, no switchback-I prefer several car spots instead like Pattons. Pattons has four car spots so, its not unusual to have to respot boxcars.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I hear you Larry. Some people aren't into the switchback thing. Personal preference overrules all in track plan design.

The switchback is designed so that I don't have to pull the car from E.D.Ibble Foods. It has enough length to allow the engine and whatever cars are serving the industries. The previous incarnation allowed for two cars and a locomotive. The newer version only needs room for one car and one locomotive. I expect that no train on this layout will be longer than a locomotive and 2 cars.

btw, that orange square in the middle of the track plan will be the railroad yard office. I'm thinking of a grounded caboose, but I don't want to appear cliche.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike,No problems with a switchback.. I just like more car spots--makes life rough for my crew. Icon_twisted

Will this little gem work for your yard office?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ammodels.co/products/103-williamsburg-yard-office">http://ammodels.co/products/103-william ... ard-office</a><!-- m -->
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Oh wow. I have the similar Atlas Trackside Shanty. I may also go with a caboose on blocks. That is a great kit though. AM Models has really nice stuff.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Another fun building I always liked was Revells Engine Crew Shanty made from a wooden boxcar and the caboose yard office made from a wooden UP type caboose. The Revell kits was also released by Heljan and Concor.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

I might be leaning toward a caboose on blocks. That way the damage and/or replacement would be minimal after hurricane season. Nope Wallbang
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

How about a modern caboose on blocks? there should be a lot available in your era. Pennsy N5c anyone?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
My short-line can't afford a caboose they use a 20' container!!! Thumbsup
LOL Kamerad.

I'm hoping to maybe land a bay window caboose ala the Kendallville Terminal Railway:

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike,I like that idea and love the photo... Thumbsup

And Slate Creek is no more.. I tore it out today. Sad

Happily like a phoenix it will raise again but, in a different form.. Applause 2285_

I think a runaround will add one more industry and I can still have a transload track.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Larry, what kind of a track plan are you working with?
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike, As of now its in the thinking process with no solid plan and I do know it will be another 12 footer. I would like to maintain a engine and three 60' cars headroom between the end of track and the first switch which is plenty of room for a 4 axle unit and three 50' -53' cars or a engine with two 72' centerbeams.

At one time I had a easy to use track planning system that I down loaded.I need to find that system again.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry