8x1.5 foot Port Able Railway HO Scale Time Saver Variation
I really like the names of your industries!! Thumbsup
Thanks Mountainman. I don't think that I'll have problems with trademark infringement. Cheers Icon_lol
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:Thanks Mountainman. I don't think that I'll have problems with trademark infringement. Cheers Icon_lol

If trademark infringements was a issue (gulp!) I've been in trouble with every new ISL I've built. Eek Icon_lol

Even my planned new Slate Creek will have real industry names.. :o
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Nothing wrong with that Larry. I just remember the time that John Allen (crazy telling this story while on a timesaver variation thread) saw a business card for Hillside Lumber while in Los Angeles. He cut up the card to make a sign and the lumber company sent a letter ordering to stop using their company name.

I came up with a third plan variation. In this plan, I added a drill track under the siding in the upper right corner to the chair company. That way I could use it to drill the manufacturing and food companies as well as use it for yard sorting before I start switching industries.

I went back to my longer yard tracks just to give me more room. I also added an engine house where the railroad offices will also be located.

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Looks like a great layout plan. I might "copy" this in a few years! ... Or modify it to 6' long. Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
It would work on a 6 foot length if you're doing steam/transition era. I'm just building it for IPD box car era.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:It would work on a 6 foot length if you're doing steam/transition era. I'm just building it for IPD box car era.

Thanks! I mainly model British steam (or British transition era), so I think this layout plan would lend itself nicely to that. British freight cars are also much shorter than North American ones, so the small size would be good. 6' also fits better with the amount of space I have, but I'll see how things develop.
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
Mike Kieran Wrote:It would work on a 6 foot length if you're doing steam/transition era. I'm just building it for IPD box car era.

Mike...would the track-planning software that you drew your plan with be able to redraw it to a 6ft length in HO???? :mrgreen:
What minimum frog number are you using for this? The turnouts look even less than #4s? Maybe #3s?
Mike,I like your latest upgrade.. The engine house is a nice touch.

Which engine house are you planning on using?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Larry, I have a Pikestuff Single Engine House and an old AHM wood engine house, but I would most likely go with the Pikestuff (although, I may interchange the two if I decide to run transition era equipment).

Genetk44, I'm using XTrackCAD and I'll try to redraw it by the end of next week.

RobertInOntario,, I'll try a 6 foot deign by the end of next week.

Dingbat, the turnouts are all Atlas Code 83 18 inch radius Snap Track. If the 50 foot cars can't handle the potential S curve problems, i"'ll just run transition era equipment.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

the turnouts are all Atlas Code 83 18 inch radius Snap Track. If the 50 foot cars can't handle the potential S curve problems, i"'ll just run transition era equipment.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Mike,I've been there and done that and you shouldn't have any issues with 50' cars. I don't like Snap crossovers but, a small interesting to operate ISL beats no layout IMHO. As far as a 6 footer a snap switch is a very good choice.

I had a 8 foot ISL that I stored in a broom closet between operation. My "bench work" was the dinning room table-we had a kitchen table that we normally used.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Thanks Mike..look forward to it.
No problem Gen.

Larry, I don't anticipate problems, especially since the longest train will be 3 cars and speeds will be glacially slow.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

I designed a layout for 6x1 with folding wings, but for some reason, the text feature in XTrkCAD isn't working, so I'll just post a layout without text for now.

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines