"TENDER TUESDAY"
Yep Mr. Nut Bar. It's tender day Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

For today I have some more pics of my I-10's tender build.

A shot of the rear with the ladder removed.    

And one with the new details installed. I also removed and replaced the molded on grabs and striped the paint.    

I squeezed a LED into the backup light after I insulated the leads. The back was then sealed up some putty, I'll sand it smooth latter.    

All wired up and tested.    
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I had to add a lip to the inside of the tender to get it to set correctly on the frame.    

The factory grab was reinstalled along the cistern, steps added to the end beam, chain hooks on the side sill, a buffer, and coal boards added    

For now I am going to leave the factory draw bar on the tender until I have the drive running and boiler attached. I want to see what kind of room I have to work with on the converted model before I cut it off. I will called the build portion of this tender complete, she is pretty much ready for primer and paint. I will start another thread on the loco build, as this one is for tenders only. Big Grin
Tender looks pretty sweet, Steve Thumbsup . Did you make that ladder? Can't wait for locomotive build. The I-10 could be choice of mine if the forum does another build challenge.

Mark
Yes sir. That ladder was built from some brass wire soldered together.
It's that day again Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

For today I have some prototype pics to show, It's the tender for Boston & Main 3713. This tender and engine are currently undergoing a projected 5 to 7 year restoration at Steamtown in Scranton PA.

The cistern is currently being removed from the frame as it will be shipped out to another location for it's rebuild. Everything from the frame down will be refurbished on site. One of the items to be addressed will be removing the old friction bearings and replacing them with roller bearings that will be hidden inside the journal boxes.    

You can see that over the years she has been bumped around a bit,, All of this will be addressed.    

The Stoker engine has been removed and packaged up somewhere that I could not find. I wanted to locate it for a few photos, as I intend to do a bit on stokers for this thread. But, no luck :? In the pic live steam feed pipe is visible in the bottom center of the stoker compartment.    
The plexiglass window will be removed from the door and replaced with a steal one.
The rest of the stoker was easy enough to find as it's on the floor right next to it's tender.    

It's actually in very good shape with just some surface rust that will be removed and the metal treaded with a rust inhibitor.

The business end of the fireman's office as also in very nice shape.    

This shot gives you a good look at the coal bin. The cut out in the slope sheet was done some years ago for some unknown reason. That's another thing that will have to be fixed. This also gives you a nice look at the angled entry way into the stokers feed screw.    

The rerailer was welded in place on the hooks to prevent theft :o :o :o :o . Will be making this functional as regrettably, we do use them from time to time.

The bolts were drilled out of the brackets that holds the cistern to the frame and the wooden spacers removed. Soon the crane will do it's thing and pull the tank from the frame for shipment.

Great photos, Steve! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Here's the locomotive, as it looked several years ago...

[Image: Pennsylvaniatripphotos045.jpg]

[Image: Pennsylvaniatripphotos046.jpg]

I was, at the time, talking to someone working there about the locomotive's Coffin feedwater heater, which was on the floor, although I can't find my photos of it.

Wayne
At this time Doc, the Coffin feedwater heater and pump are in Englewood NJ. It was sent back at the original manufactures shop (Coffin Turbo Pump, Inc.) for rebuild and testing. Some parts of the feedwater system are now complete and back on site.

In a bit of strange coincidence, Coffin Turbo Pump is one of the accounts the company I work for handles. I just haven't been sent over there for any work in the last year or so. Nope
CNR E10A Mogul #81 has been preserved in Palmerston Ontario

[Image: 37424460146_36b879f40e_b.jpg]
Here are a few tenders on which I'm currently working.

This one is a shortened Bachmann tender from ex-EG&E Consolidation 24, which was recently transferred to the Grand Valley.
The joint between the two sections here is quite evident, especially with the glossy finish, but I hope that with some rivet decals applied (hence the need for the high gloss) and an in-service paint job with appropriate lettering, she'll look a little more presentable...

[Image: LOCOMOTIVE%20TENDERS......%20001.jpg]

[Image: LOCOMOTIVE%20TENDERS......%20002.jpg]

[Image: LOCOMOTIVE%20TENDERS......%20003.jpg]

[Image: LOCOMOTIVE%20TENDERS......%20004.jpg]

Here's the preliminary application of the rivet decals, with more setting solution required...

[Image: LOCOMOTIVE%20TENDERS......%20012.jpg]

...and a look inside at the weights added to improve electrical pick-up and tracking...

[Image: LOCOMOTIVE%20TENDERS......%20014.jpg]

Loaded with coal, the finished tender will weigh about 6.25oz.

This tender is from a recently purchased brass model of a CNR 10-Wheeler. The previous owner has modified the coal bunker, but I can't find any prototype photos of CNR 10-Wheelers with a similar modification, and especially not for the loco for which the model was originally lettered....

[Image: LOCOMOTIVE%20TENDERS......%20005.jpg]

[Image: LOCOMOTIVE%20TENDERS......%20006.jpg]

These models were supplied with an optional oil tank which drops right into the existing coal bunker, just like was done with the prototypes, which originally served in western Canada. Many of these locos were later transferred east, and converted back to coal. I managed to remove the modification fairly easily....

[Image: LOCOMOTIVE%20TENDERS......%20007.jpg]

...along with the factory-installed box on the tender deck near the water hatch. This box was for chemicals added to the tender water to prevent foaming in the boiler due to the poor quality of water available in some areas of western Canada. The real ones lost the box, too, when they came east.
Here's a photo of a similar loco which I acquired several years ago. It was modified with the coal bunker extension to match its prototype...

[Image: Steppinout032.jpg]

...but the new loco's tender, even with the former owner's modifications removed, does not match its prototype. The discrepancy is mostly in the shape of the top edge of the sides at the front. The loco which I'm modelling never got a bunker extension like that on 1383, but it did have a rather high arrangement of vertical boards right at the front of the coal pocket. In prototype photos, it looks almost as if it's a temporary arrangement, and I'd like to duplicate it, which will necessitate modifying the sides as mentioned.

This tender, also from a loco recently acquired, has had its glued-in coal load removed, and will get at least a partially-modelled coal bunker. It's from a CNR Mogul, like the prototype one pictured in Ed's previous post.

[Image: LOCOMOTIVE%20TENDERS......%20009.jpg]

[Image: LOCOMOTIVE%20TENDERS......%20008.jpg]

This is an older model, belonging to Ed, that I re-worked for him a few years ago...

[Image: CNRMogul018.jpg]

In addition to new paint and lettering, it got a new can motor to replace the old open-frame one, along with a NWSL gearbox, and all-new drivers, as the original ones had a severe case of zinc-pest in their centres.

However, the prototype CNR Mogul I wish to model has its tender ladder on the opposite side of the rear of the tender, and the coal bunker extension looks different, too. I'll move the ladder for sure, but will have to study the bunker extension further before making any changes.

This one will likely please my good friend Ed, as it's a tender from one of his recently acquired locos. The original owner apparently attempted to modify the top of the sides of the coal pocket in some manner, as cuts made with a cut-off disc extended almost the entire length of that area. I'm guessing that the work started on the fireman's side of the loco, shown here after filling the gap initially with quick-setting epoxy applied with the edge of a #11 blade. This was followed by successive applications of autobody spot putty (much better than the modelling-type putty available - finer grain, fast-drying, and easier to apply and to sand)...

[Image: LOCOMOTIVE%20TENDERS......%20011.jpg]

...but when the person doing the work flipped the tender to cut the other side, only then must he have discovered the ladder, which apparently complicated things enough that whatever conversion was underway wasn't completed. This cut was a bit wider and the tender side, where it drops just before the cistern, was pushed-in somewhat, and the repair here is still in progress. I may have to apply some rivet decals to this one, too, as many of the photo-etched rivets have been all but removed by the repeated sanding...

[Image: LOCOMOTIVE%20TENDERS......%20010.jpg]

I'll add updates as these jobs continue, but please don't hold your breath for them. Crazy

Wayne
Nice stuff Doc and Ed. Do you have any prototype pics of these tenders?
e-paw Wrote:Nice stuff Doc and Ed. Do you have any prototype pics of these tenders?

Thanks, Steve. Goldth

The first one in my last post is freelanced, so no proto photos. There are photos of the others in various books, but my models don't match the real ones, at least at the time that the prototype photos were taken. That's why I listed the apparent discrepancies. The unpainted brass tender is similar to that in the photo of Ed's Mogul, but the Mogul I'm trying to model has a somewhat different tender, and there are other CNR Moguls that have tenders similar to the one shown which was behind a Western Region 10-Wheeler. The prototype of my Mogul was originally number 910, but that was changed, in the '50s, to 88. Since I'm modelling the late '30s, I'll likely number mine as 910, but I recall seeing the real 88 lying on its side, in a street just a couple blocks east of where I lived. That was in May of 1953.

I doubt that the photos from the books would scan very well, as even in the books many details seem lost in the shadows...I had to look through almost all of the photos in one book just to find a one that showed the tender trucks of a particular loco clearly enough to know that they were archbars.

Wayne
Excellent work Doc Thumbsup

Steve---Whenever Wayne works on any of my locomotives we try to find pictures of the prototypes.The tender for S2A Mike #3547 was a bit of a mystery and we finally realized the tender was transferred from a rebuilt S1G (#3198) Mikado.When the S2A Mikes were built some had an oil-bunker tender and others had Vanderbilt tenders.This is how the models were produced.When I purchased #3547 from an estate sale the original owner had tried to modify the tender to match the tender from #3198 and Doc tried to explain some of the issues he encounterd during his repair.I found a picture of the prototype but I do not know the origin so I hope it's OK to post it :

[Image: 37453039412_1b5eda6159_b.jpg]

Here's a picture of the model with the modified tender

[Image: 36043064692_426618168c_k.jpg]

Here's a S2A Mike (3529) with her original Vanderbilt tender

[Image: 36774640114_80c86fb568_b.jpg]
Very nicely done Cheers .

Thanks for the pics and explanation. If this thread keeps growing, we may all have to join " Tender-holics Anonymous "