A Sad Day
cn nutbar Wrote:It wouldn't surprise me to see Walmart open a train/hobby department Eek

Ed, what I have been seeing in Walmart on line shopping are thousands of items "not sold in stores" but sold on line only. I usually need what I am searching for at Wallyworld now, not in several days and sometimes they show stuff in the store, then I make the trip and it isn't there. Walmart does sell some ho train set on line now. I am trying to cut back on walmart shopping but many times they are the only game in the area. Curse
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:
cn nutbar Wrote:It wouldn't surprise me to see Walmart open a train/hobby department Eek

Ed, what I have been seeing in Walmart on line shopping are thousands of items "not sold in stores" but sold on line only. I usually need what I am searching for at Wallyworld now, not in several days and sometimes they show stuff in the store, then I make the trip and it isn't there. Walmart does sell some ho train set on line now. I am trying to cut back on walmart shopping but many times they are the only game in the area. Curse
Charlie

That's their operational philosophy these days - to be "the only game in town."

Sam Walton would have hated it.
I have a fully stocked shop about 1.5 miles from my house. He is mainly HO scale but has a little of every thing including R/C cars & trucks. He opened up about 10 years ago when to owner of another local shop (about 3 miles the opposite direction) passed away. He bought out the shop from other mans wife. He has also bought out several shops within 100 mi radius. All of these shops customers know about him and go there now for supplies. He is trying to set up an internet shop but knows nothing about internet commerce. The location of this shop sucks. Just ask N gauger he can vouch for me about location. It is doing OK as far as I know. I have asked and he says it is OK. I am not his best customer @ maybe $50 a year. I have got my empire built and have few needs & desires now. I hope he figures out he figures out the internet stuff as it will help him stay in business. And make it good for me when I need a light bulb.
Les
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Keep in mind. Manufacturers and distributors can't always keep the brands, models, and road names that we want, not because of greed, but because of economic survival. Let's say, for instance, if I sold Athearn CF7s in Santa Fe paint and CF7s decorated for Pinsy railroads. The Santa Fe engines 10 to 1, I would be more likely to stock the Santa Fe engines. Why? I have bills to pay.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:Keep in mind. Manufacturers and distributors can't always keep the brands, models, and road names that we want, not because of greed, but because of economic survival. Let's say, for instance, if I sold Athearn CF7s in Santa Fe paint and CF7s decorated for Pinsy railroads. The Santa Fe engines 10 to 1, I would be more likely to stock the Santa Fe engines. Why? I have bills to pay.

But your business model would likely lead to bankruptcy in a relatively short while, because you serve only a small segment of the market which you will soon saturate.

Diversity is the key to marketing survival. Yeah, you may only sell on particular oddball item a year, but the person who buys it is also likely to shop for other items while he is at it, and if you cannot attract him to your business, you're a goner. Looking back through my old MRR magazines, I followed the ads for four, then three, then two and now no railroad hobby shops in Colorado Springs.

The Colorado springs owner who is retiring and closing his shop focused mainly on large scale stuff, mostly garden scale, which is expensive to purchase, and did not cater much to other modellers. He once told me that was where the money was - people came from all over to buy his large scale stuff, and no one bought much N-scale. At that time I jokingly pointed out that a) one can only put so much large scale stuff onto a layout before hitting the saturation point where sales drop off, and b) if your aren't selling offering much in N-scale, no one can buy it anyway and the word goes out that your store is not stocked across the spectrum, after which you involuntarily become a single scale shop like it or not.

Of course, he now has to dump his remaining N-scale inventory, which he did not choose wisely in the first place, and there are no takers, nor any prospective buyers seeking a failing modeling business. No "good will" to make it attractive.

So now we will see if The Caboose can get its act together and do better at its new location, which I have not visited yet, and given that it's on Alameda - a terrible place to drive - I may not.

The real downside here is which online businesses can be trusted, because nothing in the way of enforcement really exists for the customer.