Potential Switching Layout
Greetings from the UK.

Although I am currently building a Swiss layout using the Kato RhB stock. I am designing a US Ho switching layout.

Using my favoured APA style boxes as a base for the layout.

Railpictures.net has provided me with a lot of food for thought. This photo has really caught my eye:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/314729/

I really like the look of the Genset locomotives particularly in BNSF, UP, CSX livery. Am I right in thinking the reefer behind the loco on this photo is a 64ft Trinity Reefer?

More ponderings have come and plays on Anyrail have led me to the plan below.

Key to Cars:

Yellow - Genset
Turquoise - 50ft Boxcars
Orange - 64ft Trinity Reefer
Purple - 3800ft3 Cylindrical Hopper
Pink - 62ft Gondola
Black - 55ft Tank Car

This plan is based on using 3 APA boxes similar to my Swiss layout. They are easy to build, and store when not working on or running trains.

Do people have any experience with Atlas Gensets and longer freight cars with Peco Setrack points?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Welcome to big blue.
I am a Genset fan too and have a bunch of them. They are beautiful in my eyes (a not very popular opinion in the US Wink ).
The problem is the length and even worse UP and BNSF used them almost never alone. They almost ever run in a pair or together with some GP15/38/50....
That makes it very difficult to use them on small California layouts.
Good news is CSX. They run their blue ones frequently as a single engine. The new Atlas CSX Genset with dynamic breaks is a special beauty.

The Atlas models are smooth running engines but you have to add and change some things if you are a rivet counter. The internet is full with details you may want to change. Do not forget to get the thin updated handrails available from Atlas parts shop. They are a must even for none rivet counters.

ps. Do not know anything about Peco. I use Atlas tracks.
Reinhard
Which Atlas points are you using?
wollastonblue Wrote:Which Atlas points are you using?

#4 and #6.
Two Genset (Atlas 2.nd run with dynamic breaks) on #4
[Image: 34759258993_fe8415a8fa_c.jpg]
Reinhard
Is there room for an engine, two boxcars & a reefer on the lead to where they are spotted in one move?
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
There is a hidden siding under the Pub and Apartments, which is big enough to hold the loco and the two longest of the wagons.

I have had another play and come up with this which I think will look better:

Another play with Anyrail, but this time with Peco Code 83 track, It would mean using homemade cassettes for off stage storage, but that also means the opportunity to run other locos Big Grin

What do you think of this: