Model railroad prices, a comparison
The new Athearn N scale Big Boys are out, listed for $370 at MB Klein. By coincidence, I opened the June 1996 issue of Model Railroader (remember those?) to the Standard Hobby Supply ad. Listed there is the Con-Cor Big Boy model for $226. Some have no use for DCC or sound. Fine. But I contend that $144 is a worthwhile investment for factory-equipped DCC and sound on a large and complex steam locomotive. An online inflation calculator tells me that $226 in 1996 is worth about $352 today. That makes the difference just $18. Maybe some of the progress within the hobby in the past two decades isn't so bad.
Indeed that is remarkable stable price over the time. It would be interesting to know how the cost and therefor the profit margin developed over time.
Reinhard
While I don't care about Steam, DCC or sound I agree the price is reasonable. However of the half dozen N layouts (including mine) that I have run on the Big Boy wouldn't be able to run on any of them due to the curve radius'. Unless it can handle a 10 inch radius and look decent doing it they have a very limited market for the product. That said I'm sure they know that and probably won't produce all that many.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I'd say that the price is well within reason for that locomotive, even though it's not one which I've ever wanted.

I'd guess that they'll sell quite a few of them, though, as people seem to buy Big Boys whether their layouts can accommodate them or not. Crazy Just because the models can handle a much smaller radius than is prototypical doesn't mean that it's a good idea, but people are free to enjoy the hobby as they wish.

Wayne