Bachmann 2-8-0 DCC sound install
Hello, I recently purchased a Bachmann 2-8-0 locomotive and I would like to install a DCC sound decoder.
It is a DC only locomotive, I would need some tips and suggestions on decoder choices and installation methods.

Thank you
Serge
I am going to be following this since I also have one that eventually I would like to install a decoder.

Serge is your loco a Spectrum?
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
There are several different models (DCC EQUIPPED/DCC WITH SOUND) so I need just a bit more info on the loco.
Does yours have some wires going between the loco & tender?
Photo 
Hello Woodone,
Here's a photo of the decoder installed in the tender.
I removed the little circuit board to expose the 8 pins socket.
Thank you

Attached Files Image(s)

Serge
Not sure but it looks like the 8 pin socket would let a decoder to be plugged in and you would have a DCC locomotive.
Sound is a whole different ball game. How many wires between the loco & tender?
I would just trash that board. Hard wire a sound decoder in it place. You have to keep track of the wires that are soldered to the board- I solder a short pice of wire (color of the function) to each wire I cut so I do not have to chase them down later. Like the headlight wire it white. -right rail is red- the left rail is black- motor + is orange- motor- is gray. You will need a micro sound decoder, a small sugar cube speaker to get going.
You are going to be challenged to fit all of this and wires into the tender. That is why to board needs to go, you do not have room to use the 8 pin socket. Hope this may help?
Hello Woodone,
I was also thinking of hard wiring the DCC decoder and getting rid of the small Bachmann board.

Thank you for your input on this subject.
Serge