MLW RS-10 and RS-18, what's the difference?
I recently was given a Proto1000/Canada Hobbycraft RS-10 in CP rail. I'm wondering about the outside differences of a RS-10 and RS-18. Also I believe it has dynamic brakes, what does a non-dynamic brake RS unit look like?
Hi Glen---here's a pair of Proto 1000 MLW RS diesels.#3079 is a RS10 and #3632 is a RS18.The only external difference between the two I can see is the vent openings along the roof lines.I'm not sure of any other differences especially any internal variations.

[Image: 36774340966_abf46a9dd7_z.jpg]
Thanks for the reply. As for the vent openings are you talking about the black squares above the doors? Those are car body filters and from what I've seem in photos they varied not only between the 10' and 18' but also from railway to railway. I'm figuring those were options from the factory. From what I've seen so far the only difference is internal on the locomotives. I'm just hoping someone out there can either confirm my suspicions or be able to correct them.
I'm still trying to get a decent picture of the long hood on a non-dynamic brake unit though, any help out there?
cn nutbar Wrote:Hi Glen---here's a pair of Proto 1000 MLW RS diesels.#3079 is a RS10 and #3632 is a RS18.The only external difference between the two I can see is the vent openings along the roof lines.I'm not sure of any other differences especially any internal variations.

[Image: 36774340966_abf46a9dd7_z.jpg]
wow nice layout! Worship Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

greetings Frank
Santa Fe all the way
Greetings from Germany!
Google is your friend.

An RS10 is an "RS3" in a high hood carbody. 1600 hp 244 series engine.

An RS18 is an "RS11" in Canada. 1800 hp 251 series engine.
Thanks but I meant external differences
I found this from the Model Railroader forum:
Posted by cx500 on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:03 AM

The external differences are mostly in the body filters along the side of the carbody. The attached picture shows the RS-10 with 3 spaced body filters and then a twinned pair. The RS-18 has 5 equally spaced filters. But it is not that simple. On the RS-10 that twinned pair is for the dynamic brake, so units without that feature, or with it in the short nose, will not have it. Later RS-18s had two triple sets of filters at each end of the carbody, and there are other variations. The RS-10 had only a short period of production so there was little variation as delivered.

Then to complicate matters, CN had a program in the 1960s that essentially added carbody filters to both models and their fleet developed a very standardized appearance. A few units escaped, but very few.

On CN the long hood was the front for both RS-10 and RS-18. On CP the RS-10 was long hood front while the RS-18 was always short nose front. That affected the paint layout and items such as horn, radio antenna and bell placement.

That other company's magazine, RMC, had some useful articles on the subject back in 1994.
Thanks for clearing that up. I was more concerned if the long hood doors were different. I wonder does anyone make castings or photo-etch carbody filters?
I'm not planning on making a CNR RS-18 but one from another Canadian Railway. But that will be an upcoming project, if I can locate decals for it.