Brooklyn 1st Ave waterfront
I realized my northern branch plan was all over the place and couldn't realistically fit all the industries and aspects of the branch that I would have liked to include without peninsulas jetting out everywhere. So, I'm going back to the drawing board and back to one of my first posts on this forum almost 6 years ago <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5883">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5883</a><!-- l --> . I'm just annoyed that I sold off all my cross harbor engines Nope

I think I've come up with a track plan that will depict bush terminal even after moving around some key features of the area. Although the duck under corner of the loft building is on 41st & 2nd it'll be on 1st and the car float bridge will be on the north end of the yard not the south. I'll probably come up with a freelance railroad with my own paint scheme and logos but that's still up for debate. It takes up much less space and I think this will be more fun to build and operate.
Here's what I drew up:
[Image: Screenshot_20171126-104002_zpszijnt8do.png]
Looks like it would be a nice little layout with plenty of action
Thanks lears, I'm going to try to sell a majority of my northern branch models then use that money to start buying supplies for this project. I already bought an undecorated sw1500 and sw1200 and have my eye on an nw2. I think I have narrowed down the name of the freelance rr and currently going over paint schemes and logos.
Hey,

I always liked the Bush Terminal waterfront and wanted to do a layout design based on the area a few years ago. I did a bit a research, but never finalized a plan. However, reading this thread has piqued my interest again. I hope you don't mind, but I played around with a design for a layout in your space. I'm hoping it may give you another option or additional ideas for using the room.

Take care,
Rob.

Two fine looking track plans to consider. What era are you going to be modelling?
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Dingbat that is a good looking plan but I'm going to stick to my hand drawn plan as much as I can. I want to include the corner loft building and the street running which extends into the laundry area to the interchange with lirr nya and sbk.

Peir right now my planned era is present day. I want to come up with a freelance railroad this way I can basically model any era with the substitution of vehicles. I also have a pretty large collection of mid to late 90s trucking models like A-P-A, Jevic, Preston etc. I want to use.
Hey,

No problem. I was just giving you some food for thought. Good luck with the layout, I will be watching your progress.

Take care,
Rob.
Doing some research on customers, some will be former customers of Bush Terminal before they were all moved to the 65th street yard. The left most corner is Sims recycling, there won't actually be a facility but I'll shuffle some loaded and empty gondolas in the yard to and from the carfloat. Next along 1st Ave will be Yi Pin Foods (chinese food condiments like duck sauce, soy sauce etc.) and East Peak Trading (distributes bagged rice). Even though the building wont be accurate to 1st ave I want to use 2 Walthers grocery distributor kits for these 2 customers, that should fit up to 4 boxcar spots. Continuing right will be Atlantic Waste, they'll have 2 or 3 spots for 60' boxcars of baled garbage. The last one on 1st ave will be Franklin Polymers, they'll get 2 spots for covered hoppers of plastic pellets. The 2 teams tracks will be for Midwood Lumber, they'll get boxcars of finished wood and center beam flats. The other team track will be Bass Oil who truck over waste oil and send it out in tank cars. Lastly there will be traffic for the LIRR/NYA and down the road I'm thinking of picking up subway cars to interchange with MTA/SBK. I'd like to include a couple abandoned tracks going to former industries along 1st ave also. So that's the plan for now.
I was going over paint scheme ideas and came across this Grand River Railway sw1200.

[Image: 439774717-1_zps7ouj5zgd.jpg]

I really like the way it looks on the sw1200 but I couldn't completely rip off the B&O scheme and will change it to a grey over green and change the "Linking 13 Great States" slogan to "Linking New York Harbor With The Nation" and add the Statue of Liberty inside the circle logo. Deciding on the grey over green paint it just made sense to name the railroad Brooklyn & Greenville Railway, Greenville is a section of Jersey City NJ that the other float bridge is located. I got my Athearn sw1500 and Proto2k sw1200 in the mail and hope to start working on them soon.
This thread on another Forum might be of interest - It features places named for the 87th Precinct police procedural novels of Ed McBain (pseudonym of Evan Hunter), which was supposedly part of New York
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34735&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=Isola">http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topi ... erms=Isola</a><!-- m -->
If you follow the thread on there is an altered/updated map , linked to on page #7, in which he has converted it to a shelf-type layout
hope it is useful
If you keep the black stripe, then you can print your own decals. You get the Micromark WHITE decal sheets, go into Microsoft Word, you change the page to black, set the font to white, and print out Brooklyn & Greenville Railway (I like the reporting marks BGR, it looks like BIGGER). I was actually considering a similar concept with a friend of mine who lives in New Jersey and I was going to call it the Brooklyn & New Jersey RR.

As a side note, there's a really great guy on You Tube, Bill Graham, who has a Layout in Staten Island called the South Brooklyn/Catastrophe Railroad. He leans more towards modeling the Suth Brooklyn end of things. It's an interesting set up.

P.S., I'll be watching/stalking this thread.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Thanks for the link Shortliner.
Mike I get my decals made from Precision Design Co. and they come out really great. I don't have a decent enough printer and smaller lettering is very pixelated. I'll have to look up that youtube page you're talking about. Thanks for your interest on the layout, I just bought $80 worth of photo etched parts from KV Models so I hope to have some more updates soon.
Now that the holiday season is just about over, I got started working on Brooklyn & Greenville SW1500 #3217. It'll be based off NYNJ Rail #1133. I added some KV models photo etched parts, cannon & co treads and steps, SP style numberboard and details west parts.
[Image: 20171228_204845_zpsoxojoqsa.jpg][Image: 20171227_170746_zpsdm66ymwl.jpg][Image: 20171227_170824_zpsvslxyimc.jpg]
This is a fine looking engine!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
sailormatlac Wrote:This is a fine looking engine!

Matt

Thank you, waiting on a few more parts and should be ready for paint soon.