Brooklyn 1st Ave waterfront
I don't think that this scheme would work on Alco switchers. The lines would be broken up by the radiators. An example of this is the Erie Lackawanna switchers. It looked great on the EMD switchers and not as good on the Alco switchers.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
I took some more accurate measurements today and went back to the pad and pencil. I think I can get away with benchwork being 2 feet deep and I was curious how it would look with car float and bridge on the other end making the car float removable or able to swing up under the bench work. I'd like to keep everything away from the left side where the furnace and hot water heater is. This is the first sketch
[Image: 201802092015281000_zpsc7miopkh.jpg]
I had an idea to make a car float out of a butler's tray -- littlw wooden cart on wheels.

If you're going 2 feet deep, you should measure to the underside of your arm stretched out, then deduct the height of trees of buildings that will be near the front of the layout. Measure your arm with a bulky sweater on.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I've thought about the cart but my basement floor isn't exactly level being pitched towards the sump pump. I'd have to level the cart to where the bridge is but will be lop sided everywhere else I move it to. I don't think I'll have to worry too much about knocking into scenery. Trees are very few and far between and barely taller than a trailer, aside from that I'll only need to worry about street lights. There's no utility poles, everything is under ground. So any tall scenery will be along the street so switching the yard won't be an issue.
But don't trees grow in Brooklyn? or, at least, a tree? Wink
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Yes there are but they're short and don't think I'll need to worry about bumping into them
[Image: 20180211_082619_zps2yxmy8v4.png]
Would love to see this scene in 20-30 years. I applaud whoever is planting trees again.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
It's NYC's Project Green Streets. They're planting trees wherever they can and they're neglected vacant lots and making them community gardens. My wife and I belonged to one that had abandoned cars and was a drug addict haven. Whenever anyone planted anything, it grew fast. I think it was all the crack in the soil.

Project Green Streets is also replacing trees destroyed by the Japanese Beetle infestation. As we know, you beat the Japanese Beetle by Rolling Stones on them and showing them Who is The Boss. 35 Wallbang
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Groan! Icon_lol
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Mike Kieran Wrote:...They're planting trees wherever they can ....
I know. I looked at hundreds of those ....... trees when I tried to grab images of buildings with Google Streeview Sad
Reinhard
The neighborhood will be gentrifying soon. The old Bush Terminal lofts are going retail. Hipsters are renting in "South Slope" (Sunset Park) and "Industry City" (Industry City is the project name given to Bush Terminal. The Brooklyn Nets practice facility is in Bush Terminal across the street from Costco (former Davidson Pipe). I really wonder how long this area of Brooklyn will be industrial use.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Other than Sims, all that work they did to the south Brooklyn marine terminal they'll probably never see any other rail traffic and I'm sure that brand new spur for Yipin will never get used again since being forced out.
Going back to the tree discussion for a moment, what type of trees are those along 1st ave?
Scott,

They're talking about putting an automobile unloading terminal in the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal (Between the Bed Bath & Beyond and the water).

The trees are London Planetrees https://tree-map.nycgovparks.org/#speciesId-66603.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

I know they had a test run with an auto rack, I just don't see it happening
It doesn't make sense to me either, but what do I know. I can see the Brooklyn Army Terminal either becoming a shopping mall or a residential complex. At one time, they were talking about making it a prison, but the neighborhood protested. They didn't want criminal elements passing through the neighborhood. I guess they preferred them on the streets in the neighborhood. I lived there, it was not a great neighborhood at the time.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines