What boxcars would be appropriate for my layout?
So I am getting started working on a modern proto-freelance layout based very loosely on Model Railroader's 2010 Beer Line Layout, and I was trying to figure out two things:
1) What would be the appropriate modern boxcar specifically for moving beer loads? I am guessing insulated boxcars would be best, but I wasn't sure if that would be correct or not?
2) What size are the most common modern boxcars? 50' or 60'?

Cheers, thanks. Cheers
————————————————————————————
Modeling the East Broad Top as it was between 1937-1942
~Amanda
Beer is usually shipped in insulated plug door boxcars (RBL), either 50' or 62' would be appropriate. Some of the Class I roads had fleets of 62' RBL's dedicated for that service. Several of the manufacturers have cars of the correct type available. Although boxcar traffic has declined some in recent years, I still see more 50' cars than 60' running around. I model the late 70s to early 80s when boxcars were quite colorful compared to what you see today and in fact have two 62' beer cars that come on the layout now and then for a local beverage distributor.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
FCIN Wrote:Beer is usually shipped in insulated plug door boxcars (RBL), either 50' or 62' would be appropriate. Some of the Class I roads had fleets of 62' RBL's dedicated to that service. Several of the manufacturers have cars of the correct type available. Although boxcar traffic has declined some in recent years, I still see more 50' cars than 60' running around. I model the late 70s to early 80s when boxcars were quite colorful compared to what you see today and in fact, have two 62' beer cars that come on the layout now and then for a local beverage distributor.

Here locally we see a lot of boxcars in mixed freights (I live like smack dab in the center of the old PRR middle division). Usually, it's either container/trailer trains, coal trains, tank trains, or mixed freights heading between Altoona and Harrisburg, PA. I only ever see boxcars in those mixed freights, but I have a few industries planned that will use boxcars.

I had assumed the insulated plug door cars were what I needed, but stranger things have happened than leaving warm beer in a regular boxcar to move it.
~Amanda
In Austin Texas there is a beer distributor that gets beer in 50' single door boxcars from Mexico. I was surprised as I thought all beer traveled in plug door cars I guess there is an exception to the rules.
You could also receive loaded cars of empty cans or bottles for filling or raw materials to make their own. Depending on the size of company they might also either receive packaging likes boxes or they could receive raw materials to print their own.
Coors at one time shipped unfinished beer in tank cars to various distributors that would then unload the beer and make it into beer at the final destination.
Grain hoppers of grain or hops could also be brought in for making beer from scratch.
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
That's definitely interesting! As of right now, I am planning to have one major brewery modeled on the layout, receiving covered hoppers and shipping in insulated boxcars (with a side track for an open top hopper to load broken glass in to). I am not delivering all of the materials to make the beer by rail, as the brewery I am modeling would receive most of that by truck delivery. I am also thinking about modeling another large-ish brewery, but not modeling *most* of it, only the grain elevator.

I am basically following the Model Railroader series from 2010 on their Milwaukee Road Beer Line project layout, but I instead of following the Milwaukee road in 1947 as my prototype, I am making it a proto-freelance layout that could eventually be expanded into a larger display at some point. I don't have space for a layout at the moment, though, so I am instead working on amassing rolling stock, motive power, building kits, stuff like that, with the goal of it eventually all fitting on the layout when I get it built. I've been out of the hobby for several years, so I am relearning some skills, too. I really like modern urban and suburban railroading, so that's mostly where my layout is being set. Just trying to rough out some ideas for what rolling stock I'll need. I am planning a couple of team track, too, so that I can have an excuse to run basically whatever equipment I want on the layout (I like container cars, for instance, but don't really expect to have room in the track plan to even *suggest* an intermodal yard, so I can just drop a single well car or two of containers on a team track and voila Big Grin).

Anyways, I think I've ranted enough. As I get some more stuff and start working on things, I will definitely be sharing project photos
~Amanda
Beer is usually shipped in 62' plug door boxcar however,as was already pointed out any boxcar would do except 86' for autopart cars.

BTW and just for fun.. The term used today for team track is "transload" track. Nothing more then a play on words by the railroads marketing department. 357
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:Beer is usually shipped in 62' plug door boxcar however,as was already pointed out any boxcar would do except 86' for autopart cars.

BTW and just for fun.. The term used today for team track is "transload" track. Nothing more then a play on words by the railroads marketing department. 357

And "railroad" is now alternative freight conveyance route? 8-)
One consideration for boxcar size is the spacing of the doors at the warehouse. If they were buit for 40' cars, longer cars have to be spotted at every second door. (Unless there's a full platform between rack and wall.)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:One consideration for boxcar size is the spacing of the doors at the warehouse. If they were buit for 40' cars, longer cars have to be spotted at every second door. (Unless there's a full platform between rack and wall.)

That's something I hadn't thought of! Thanks for mentioning it!
Brakie Wrote:Beer is usually shipped in 62' plug door boxcar however,as was already pointed out any boxcar would do except 86' for autopart cars.

Yes, you're right, my mistake. It's a "transload" track. I have been spending too much time around those transition-era guys at the local model train club.
~Amanda