A bit of a problem...
Wayne my layout is similar to yours in that it is DC with block control however I didn't use a common rail so it is a lot easier to track down a problem. That said whenever I have had a problem like you are having it has always been a bad toggle switch except one time when it was a bad turnout.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Well, I've decided, for now at least, that the layout will become a diorama. That way, I can stop wasting time on looking for the problem, and concentrate on finishing some of the scenes and structures. If I later decide to tear out the existing layout, I'll have a ready-made stock of structures. I'm actually thinking of Larry's idea of an ISL, perhaps in conjunction with a harbour scene, inspired by Greg's Magoun Pier.

If I decide to relocate, there's no way that the existing layout could come along, but a well-designed ISL, perhaps 3'x24' done in an "L", could be broken down into three or four sections and easily transported. Such a design would, of course, make use of existing structures, for the most part. I'd definitely stay in the same late '30s operating era, though - I've spent too much time and effort on rolling stock and locomotives, appropriate to that time frame, to change.

Wayne
[quote="doctorwayne"]Well, I've decided, for now at least, that the layout will become a diorama.

Sounds like my layout Doc Thumbsup
cn nutbar Wrote:
doctorwayne Wrote:Well, I've decided, for now at least, that the layout will become a diorama.

Sounds like my layout Doc Thumbsup

Except that yours could be run if you wished to do so.

Wayne
SNIP! I'll have a ready-made stock of structures. I'm actually thinking of Larry's idea of an ISL, perhaps in conjunction with a harbour scene, SNIP

Wayne, With that idea you could have two districts the Dock district with warehouses and the industrial district. A tank farm for inbound oil or perhaps export Gern could be modeled as well.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Evidently, I forgot to update this thread, as things are running normally, and have been for some time since my last post here. 

The culprit was the 'phone plug on the walk-around throttle:  the clip that clicks the plug into the jacks on the fascia was broken-off, with the result that the plug was slipping out partially, although not enough to be visually noticeable, messing up the connections with the results mentioned earlier.  I snipped it off and put a new one in its place, and everything is back to normal.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Wayne
i don't use those so that never occurred to me. Glad you got er' fixed!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks, Mike.  I don't usually have a lot of time to run trains, but it's nice to be able to do so when the opportunities arise.

Wayne