Flickr Notice
As is this one

[Image: DSCN2270-M.jpg]
I fully agree with the limit of the file size for photos.
But I want to have it done automatically while posting. Flickr was set to 800 x 600 and rescaled the photo within that boundary. My post a few minutes ago got automatic resized by FB. The original in my library is 1600 x 941 and has a size of 200 kB. After posting in FB is it resized by FB to 960 x 564 and has size of 67 kB. That is the image I posted via reference here in big blue. But all that happened without intentional resizing and storing a second low res copy on my computer just for posting in big blue and erasing it afterwards.
But yes, I will not post large images. Just looking for a nice and easy way to get it done.

[Image: 31195737_1817870368278925_37971172613957...e=5B599A89]
Reinhard
ezdays Wrote:Even 640 x 480 has enough resolution and it will fit on most screens just fine. I usually try to keep my photo files under150K and no more than 800 x 600 resolution.

This ceased being a problem about 10 years ago. If you don't want to pay for server space, that's one thing, but don't hide behind screen resolutions being a reason. My four-year-old Macbook has more than four times the resolution of a 640x480 image and the new iMac completely blows past that.

I used to contribute to photo threads here. But then the content posted didn't engage me, and some of that was due to image sizes, so then I wouldn't visit regularly and then I wouldn't remember to contribute my own photos. I only look at the site every few weeks now even though I'm doing more modeling than at any other point in my time here (or the varies other incarnations of The Big Gauge Blue).
railohio Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:Even 640 x 480 has enough resolution and it will fit on most screens just fine. I usually try to keep my photo files under150K and no more than 800 x 600 resolution.

This ceased being a problem about 10 years ago. If you don't want to pay for server space, that's one thing, but don't hide behind screen resolutions being a reason. My four-year-old Macbook has more than four times the resolution of a 640x480 image and the new iMac completely blows past that.

I used to contribute to photo threads here. But then the content posted didn't engage me, and some of that was due to image sizes, so then I wouldn't visit regularly and then I wouldn't remember to contribute my own photos. I only look at the site every few weeks now even though I'm doing more modeling than at any other point in my time here (or the varies other incarnations of The Big Gauge Blue).

Sorry to hear that you don't visit here as much due to the restrictions on image size. I have a 24" monitor and I can see good detail at 640 x 480 and 800 x 600. Some people with smaller screen sizes have to scroll to view a whole photo at higher resolutions and file sizes, that's just the way it is. And no, we are not hiding behind not paying for server space, we have unlimited space right now, just why take up space if you don't need to? The larger the photo, the longer it takes to load. Remember too, we still have people that have dial-up service, yeah, not everyone has access to cable and not everyone has the latest and fastest computers so we try to keep things down to the point that they don't get frustrated while a photo "paints" itself on their screen yet keeping the resolution good enough for most other folks.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I found a FQA on Flickr and it says all old account, data etc. will be kept untouched for the foreseeable future. Looks it is only a legal and administrative change of ownership with no implications for users like us. Let's wait and see.

https://www.smugmug.com/together/faq
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:I found a FQA on Flickr and it says all old account, data etc. will be kept untouched for the foreseeable future. Looks it is only a legal and administrative change of ownership with no implications for users like us. Let's wait and see.

https://www.smugmug.com/together/faq
Sometimes that "foreseeable future" means we are going to charge as soon as we can. Goldth
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:..... Sometimes that "foreseeable future" means we are going to charge as soon as we can. Goldth
That was my thought too but we are optimists aren't we Wink
Reinhard