La Mirada, CA BNSF Switching Project
After Russ pointed me in the direction of modeling something closer to home (actually very close to home, about an hour at most from me), i have decided to go with a spot local to me, which is La Mirada, California. The BNSF serves quite a few industries in this little area. There are 2 what looks to be small yards just off the mainline that runs through the area. This is a definite plus since this will not be a continuous run, and instead a group of modules.

Rather then start a new thread, ill just edit this one.... lol

It all comes down to this area, the yellow markers border the industrial district that the BNSF serves:

[Image: Picture11.png]

This will give my M&ET some serious competition, And i may just go all out on this one and scratch the M&ET plans (well not scratch completely, just hold off for a long while and maybe something later on in life lol). 2 Reasons for this, 1. is this area is SO CLOSE TO HOME for me. I can make several trips out there when i need to, and the M&ET located in Modesto, CA is about 6 hours away from me, so getting pictures will be pretty dang hard lol. 2. i can use all my locos for this project, i will not have to get locos in other paint schemes like the M&ET since the BNSF does its own switching in this area..... More money to spend on building supplies and track laying lol

Here are some pictures of the overall area i snapped off real quick. I know the tracks are pretty hard to see :oops: close-up pictures will be posted when im working on certain areas to better see the tracks....

[Image: Picture1-1.png]

Shows one of the small yards id like to model. Right/Center

[Image: Picture2-1.png]

[Image: Picture3.png]

[Image: Picture4.png]

[Image: Picture5.png]

[Image: Picture6.png]

Thanks Russ for pointing this area out to me, this will definitely make the prototype modeling process alot easier on me Misngth

Next to come will be the start of the area in the planning program Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Josh....excellent aerial pics of the area! That should help immensely with the planning Thumbsup

How many layouts you working on?!!!!!....LOL!

Good luck buddy!!!
Steve
Hi Josh,

Dont now about your layput but it has given me some good ideas how industries are served Icon_lol off to wire up the crossing 2285_ 2285_ Icon_lol
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/">http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/</a><!-- m -->
[Image: up_xm40o.gif][Image: up_lo-1.gif][Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
This area of Denver really reminds of the switching district of Miami I am modeling. With a bit of scenic compression it will make for an interesting switching layout.

Josh, my friend, I really hope that this time you really found what you were looking for and that you won’t lose interest in it again within a few days. Wink
Kurt
Steve Wrote:Josh....excellent aerial pics of the area! That should help immensely with the planning Thumbsup

How many layouts you working on?!!!!!....LOL!

Good luck buddy!!!

LOL Steve Misngth Well lets see here, this will be the 5th actual layout/modeling project i have done/started in about 5 years Misngth

The aerials and street views are a must when your modeling the prototype, its truly amazing what satellites can do nowadays Eek

LOL Nick, glad i could help Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
cnw1961 Wrote:This area of Denver really reminds of the switching district of Miami I am modeling. With a bit of scenic compression it will make for an interesting switching layout.

Josh, my friend, I really hope that this time you really found what you were looking for and that you won’t lose interest in it again within a few days. Wink

Thanks Kurt Misngth I really wanted to model Miami, but with you and Lance both doing it, i figured if i joined in i would be over exposing the areas and being more of a copy cat then anything LOL, plus you and lance do some beautiful and outstanding work, and i dont feel my modeling skills are even as close to your guys skills get LOL, i need to do more scratch building and such, and these modules will certainly be a good start Misngth I dont plan to use any kits for these modules buildings, all scratch built and totally unique, well following the prototype, unique in the way of nobody makes them Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
note, this has been changed to a local area near me of La Mirada, CA where the BNSF serves a industrial park, see first post Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Trucklover Wrote:Id like to say thanks to everyone that made some suggestions on areas to model.

I think i have decided to go with this particular area around Franklin St & E. 66th Ave. in the city of Denver, Colorado. Thanks to Jim and Stein for suggesting this area Misngth

Glad you liked it - it looked fairly modelgenic.

Trucklover Wrote:We start here with this shot of the area. This is where the line comes off the mainline (actually the line comes off a little ways up further, but for mine it will just start right here and serve this industry first) Im not sure what mainline this is right here to the left, ill have to do a little research and find out, but the business that is on the corner and rail served is called Gypsum Products. They specialize in Wallboards (drywall...), Steel Framing, and Acoustical Ceilings. After the siding, the branchline curves around the GP yard and travels up and serves rather large building (not sure of the business name yet).

[Image: Picture1.png]

A google search for "E 61st Avenue" Denver yields a possible match for the second industry: Hamilton Linen and Uniform, 1480 E 61st Avenue. According to this (http://www.superpages.com/bp/Denver-CO/H...564869.htm) web page they have been in business since 1911, and produces "Aprons, Linen, Uniforms, Continuous Towels and Dust Mops".

Trucklover Wrote:Then it continues on to serve a Budweiser building/warehouse and also another building materials yard/business.

Seems to perhaps be Colorado Forest Industries, 1530 E 64th Avenue ?

Smile,
Stein
Stein, thanks for the info, you are correct, those both are the businesses Misngth Thanks Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
**Edit**
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
:cry: Makes me all nostalgic. This was my stomping ground for a few years. I used to throw my son (2 at the time) on my shoulders and walk down to where you've got the pin for switching area #6. The oleanders along the fence were pretty thick but you could hear if something was coming, then watch as it zoomed by. I caught the local switch job at work a couple times, but only got it on film once, I think. If you know where to look (almost due E of pin #6, there's a green blob) you can see Windermere Park and the church where I worked, along with the parsonage where we lived.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
ocalicreek Wrote::cry: Makes me all nostalgic. This was my stomping ground for a few years. I used to throw my son (2 at the time) on my shoulders and walk down to where you've got the pin for switching area #6. The oleanders along the fence were pretty thick but you could hear if something was coming, then watch as it zoomed by. I caught the local switch job at work a couple times, but only got it on film once, I think. If you know where to look (almost due E of pin #6, there's a green blob) you can see Windermere Park and the church where I worked, along with the parsonage where we lived.

Galen

Hey Galen, so this is where you used to live? I had heard you lived somewhere out here near LA and Orange County, but i wasnt sure exactly where. My grandparents own and rent a house out in Yorba Linda (was almost lost in the Fires last year....) which isnt too far from La Mirada (at least it doesnt look like it following the tracks lol). Thanks for the tips on where to go Misngth I hope to make a trip out there soon, maybe next time i go visit my grandparents at there Tustin house i can convince my grandma to drive me out there so i can get some shots lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
So here is what i got so far, an overhead shot of the area ive been working on for the past 2 hours or so lol:

[Image: Picture8.png]

You can see the BNSF mainline on the right/center running next to Stage Road. The tracks and the road both cross that narrow little channel for water.

Here are some closer shots showing this general area for a view of the tracks and buildings/streets:

[Image: Picture1-2.png]

[Image: Picture2-2.png]

[Image: Picture3-1.png]

and finally the plan where im at right now using the above aerial images and Google Earth:

[Image: 43bba605.png]

BLACK Numbers are module dimensions
  • 1. 18"x60"
    2. 18-20"x60"
    3. 24"x60"
    4. 24"x60"
    5. 18"x48"
    6. 18"x60"

WHITE Numbers are Special Tracks and Buildings
  • 1. Beaulieu Group Llc‎
    2. US Foodservice‎
    3. States Logistics‎
    4. Metrics LLC‎
    5. G a Doors Inc‎
    6. Cook King
    7. Kyees Aluminum Inc‎

RED Numbers are Streets and Watter
  • 1. Water Channel
    2. Stage Road
    3. Desman Road
    4. Dolly Ave.

Specifications of the modules include:

Name: La Mirada Switching District
Gauge: HO Scale
Size: Coming Soon lol
Prototype: La Mirada, CA - Burlington Northern Santa Fe
Era: Modern
Style: Modules ranging in size from 4-6' long x 18" wide
Mainline Run: not known yet
Color Code: RED = Mainline, BLACK = Branchline, Sidings, and Yard Tracks, Orange = Buildings
Minimum Radius: 28" all around
Minimum Turnout: no. #8 Central Valley's
Grade: None
Benchwork: Box Frame with 2" Blue Foam
Height: 50"
Roadbed: Woodland Scenics Foambed
Track: Mainline ~ Central Valley Code 83, Branchline and Sidings ~ Central Valley Code 70
Control: MRC Prodigy Wireless

Well thats all that i have so far, comments, questions, suggestions are always welcome
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Got some more with the planning program

[Image: b2847f36.png]

And a couple shots of the aerials of the areas i added in on the plan above:

[Image: f2e9bb7c.png]

This is the large building on the left side of the pic above is at the end of the line (well the prototype keeps going a bit i chose to stop mine here) on my plan (#12)

[Image: 5a6f6eee.png]

This is the yard thats at the top

[Image: 9ffa22fe.png]

And this is where Stage Road and Alondra Blvd meet right above the tracks. This is raised above the tracks, this overpass will be modeled.

Numbers in the above pics:

BLACK Numbers:
  • 7. 18"x60"
    8. 24"x48"
    9. 18"x60"

WHITE Numbers:
  • 8. Cordova Bolt Inc‎
    9. Remet Corporation‎
    10. NO BUSINESS NAME AT THE TIME, HAVE TO DO MORE RESEARCH lol
    11. Wesanco Steel Products Corporation‎
    12. Corporate Express Imaging‎

RED Numbers:
  • 5. Trojan Way
    6. Alondra Blvd.
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
And here is where i am currently at

This is getting to be VERY lengthy lol.

Much like the M&ET plans i had, these will not be all set up together all at once, a few hooked up to run on at a time. Im going to have to do some work on the yard to make this doable though, So the yard will need some turnouts so i can maybe run half the large yard at a time, picking up cars and switching into the industries on the left (still havnt been drawn in yet)....

[Image: 7840855e.png]

and the over head of the yard

[Image: 7fc84e9e.png]

This is a very large yard, being about 21 feet. As i mentioned above, i will likely not be able to run all these modules together, just hook up a few at a time. The yard needs to be re-worked with turnouts added in to better make this happen

Where that turnout comes off the yard is where a short branch will be. I am also going to add one more short branch in on the far left and that will be all of it that i would like to model

The real yard is 8 tracks yard, mine is only 6 lol. The 2 modules are offset to allow the extra track at the bottom, still keeping the 24" width of the modules. Ill post another shot when i re-work the yard
Josh Mader

Maders Trains