Things I miss or can't find
(05-13-2018, 04:54 PM)ezdays Wrote: We have most of our old smilies back,

Waveof7 Waveof7

Still tying to find a few others, be patient, baby steps....  Waiting

Not sure what smilies are missing. I pulled everything I found in the "Smilies" folder on the old server.
------------------------------------
Creator of the comic Flatt Bear.
A comic about... well... a bear

Flatt Bear
One thing I have noticed is that sometimes the green arrow (no relation to the DC Comics hero) doesn't always take me to the first new post. It seems this mostly occurs in threads with lots of pictures such as Trains on This Day in the Past. This occurred occasionally on the old software (maybe once every few months) but is a fairly regular occurrence with the new software.

I don't know if it's on your end or mine so I ordered a new computer yesterday. It was time anyway. This one is about 5-6 years old and running Win 8.1.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
(05-17-2018, 07:29 AM)FiatFan Wrote: One thing I have noticed is that sometimes the green arrow (no relation to the DC Comics hero) doesn't always take me to the first new post.  It seems this mostly occurs in threads with lots of pictures such as Trains on This Day in the Past.  This occurred occasionally on the old software (maybe once every few months) but is a fairly regular occurrence with the new software.  

I don't know if it's on your end or mine so I ordered a new computer yesterday.  It was time anyway.  This one is about 5-6 years old and running Win 8.1.

Tom

yeah, I've noticed this myself. I can't find any settings in the "back room" part of the forum that changes this or effects this. I'm NOT a fan of these micro-icons that mybb uses by default. There's no real obvious way for me to know what threads have new posts to read. The green arrow was potentially a great way to indicate this, but it appears it's random as to when this shows up and what is actually does. 

I'm looking into this, but could take a bit to fix.

Flatt Bear
I don't have trouble finding my way around any other forum I visit. I belong to several camper and truck forums. For some reason I just can't find anything here like I used to. I expected some change but I guess I am not technical enough to get around, and I think I may not be the only one. Lack of posts is not a good sign. I used to go to the board index and view active topics and I could get a couple of weeks up to 2 months, now no matter how I set things I get only a couple posts.
I enjoy this forum immensely so I will be giving it more time but there has to be some way to make it work more like the old way.
I don't know why every software upgrqde has to change everything including the things that work well. It is almost like the designers are testing us old folk and if we don't pass the test, well that's too bad, we didn't need you anyway.
I know you are working on it and I am trying to be patient but I thought you should know how I feel right now.
(05-17-2018, 03:47 PM)Charlie B Wrote: I don't have trouble finding my way around any other forum I visit. I belong to several camper and truck forums. For some reason I just can't find anything here like I used to. I expected some change but I guess I am not technical enough to get around, and I think I may not be the only one. Lack of posts is not a good sign. I used to go to the board index and view active topics and I could get a couple of weeks up to 2 months, now no matter how I set things I get only a couple posts.  
I enjoy this forum immensely so I will be giving it more time but there has to be some way to make it work more like the old way.
I don't know why every software upgrqde has to change everything including the things that work well. It is almost like the designers are testing us old folk and if we don't pass the test, well that's too bad, we didn't need you anyway.  
I know you are working on it and I am trying to be patient but I thought you should know how I feel right now.

Please be more specific at to what "I can't find anything" means. It's like someone telling me "my computer doesn't work." If you give us more specifics as to what you mean and we'll either tell you how to find it, fix it, or tell you it is what it is. Unfortunately, every software has it's own way of doing things and that's inherit of the upgrade process. We needed to upgrade because the old software was so outdated, it was a nightmare to manage. We were always one database crash away from total unrecoverable failure..

And as for the lack of posts you're seeing, I don't think that has any thing to do with the software, it's the fact that this forum is sorely lacking posts. Participation has dropped considerably in the last year, even before this upgrade.

Flatt Bear
I will just wait until the forum is set the way you guys want it and then I will see if I can figure it out. In the meanwhile I will work on my many projects that have been left undone. 
As for participation A lot of people have passed away and others have just drifted on.
(05-18-2018, 03:11 PM)Charlie B Wrote: I will just wait until the forum is set the way you guys want it and then I will see if I can figure it out. In the meanwhile I will work on my many projects that have been left undone. 
As for participation A lot of people have passed away and others have just drifted on.
Thanks for being patient Charlie. I've gotten a bunch of settings changed and still have a few pages left to go. The process shouldn't take long, but I've been running a slow speed since I'm still recovering. Once we get it tuned up to how we think it should be, as Pat says, let us know what you are having issues with and we'll do our best to help. We will do our best to make things work to satisfy everyone, but we many not be able to please everyone. As we've said, this new software is highly flexible, we just need to understand how to configure some of the things that are important to our member. We are here for everyone, so we're open to change things that we may not be aware don't work as well as we thought they would.

Yes, we've lost a number of members over the years, others have personal issues, health problems or changes in interests. Even a few of moderators that have been with us since the old Gauge have been affected. These things happen, and we care about them all whether they're here or not. Social media is also responsible in part for declining members showing up, we're hoping to do something about that as well. What we plan will take time to implement, but we've just gotten over a big hurdle, and want to see what we have once the dust settles.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I would suggest, and you are probably all ready trying to make it as close to the other software as possible. Right now I think we are just overwhelmed by the differences, not that it is good or bad, but different. A lot of our changes come one at a time so we get them handled as we go along, but there is a lot to absorb here, and I haven't had the time to do it justice.
Regards
Charlie
(05-18-2018, 07:33 PM)Charlie B Wrote: I would suggest, and you are probably all ready trying to make it as close to the other software as possible. Right now I think we are just overwhelmed by the differences, not that it is good or bad, but different. A lot of our changes come one at a time so we get them handled as we go along, but there is a lot to absorb here, and I haven't had the time to do it justice.
Regards
Charlie
Yup, I fully agree with you. We're trying to make it as close to what we had, but to dress it up a bit. The new software is just that, new to us and quite a bit newer than what we had, so there are lots of things that we all can get confused about. I have a Tracfone that I've had for four years now. It decided to take a bath in the washing machine the other day, nice and clean, but it's now just a paperweight. My new Tracfone does a lot more, just that the firmware is entirely different, things aren't in the same place as they were and it's frustrating trying to find out how to even answer a phone call. The same goes for every time they upgrade Windows, but we all try our best to learn it before it gets upgraded again...... Confused

We're all in the same boat, but we're still working on tuning it up as we learn just what we can do with what we've got so we're not finished yet.

What's that? I think my Tracfone just went ding-dong, what the heck does that mean?????? It's still asleep, it's probably just dreaming...  How the heck am I suppose to know.Huh
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(05-19-2018, 07:16 AM)ezdays Wrote:  I think my Tracfone just went ding-dong

Maybe it's Avon calling. Big Grin

Tom

(05-19-2018, 12:14 PM)FiatFan Wrote:
(05-19-2018, 07:16 AM)ezdays Wrote:  I think my Tracfone just went ding-dong

Maybe it's Avon calling. Big Grin

Tom

Hmm, I was thinking the Good Humor Man getting an early start.... Confused
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Another thing, you guys are working too hard. walk away for a day. We will be here when you come back and you will feel better after the rest
Charlie
(05-19-2018, 03:46 PM)Charlie B Wrote: Another thing, you guys are working too hard. walk away for a day. We will be here when you come back and you will feel better after the rest
Charlie
Agree1

(05-19-2018, 04:45 PM)FiatFan Wrote:
(05-19-2018, 03:46 PM)Charlie B Wrote: Another thing, you guys are working too hard. walk away for a day. We will be here when you come back and you will feel better after the rest
Charlie
Agree1

Me too. Sometimes one cannot see the forest for all the trees, as it's said..... Agree1 Agree1
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
OK this is a pet peeve of mine about the forum. I may be dumb but I have a hard time finding the place to start a new thread.  Now there is a page that says "Portal" which in my way of thinking would be where to start but it isn't, so could we have a link at the top of the page that says "start a new thread" or something like that that would take us to the page where we decide what forum our post should be under.  Currently I have to type in the menu line "big blue trains .com to get to the dispatchers office.
Charlie