Need input from you all
I experience a severe performance degradation since yesterday. Any changes done?
Reinhard
(05-30-2018, 02:33 AM)faraway Wrote: I experience a severe performance degradation since yesterday. Any changes done?

Yes, I get notes from GoDaddy occasionally that we had been stressing our resource limits. We've upgraded once at a cost, but they still would like us to upgrade even more. I think it usually happens when Pat is doing something, like this time he added a plugin for "list unread posts", followed by another warning from GoDaddy. We should be OK for now.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Not really. It is still crawling slow. The progress bar of the browser stops for 10 - 30 seconds after about 20%. That is the usually the DNS lookup. I changed the DNS and used even VPN tunnel into the US using US DNS without success.
All other US sides perform as usual.
Reinhard
(05-30-2018, 11:49 AM)faraway Wrote: Not really. It is still crawling slow. The progress bar of the browser stops for 10 - 30 seconds after about 20%. That is the usually the DNS lookup. I changed the DNS and used even VPN tunnel into the US using US DNS without success.

Yes, that would be me. I was trying out some new backup plugins on my own website and the plugins were sending the resources through the roof. Since we share server space, it effected the forum as well. We will, undoubtedly, get an email in the next day or so claiming we've exceeded our resources.
------------------------------------
Creator of the comic Flatt Bear.
A comic about... well... a bear

[Image: Flatt-Bear-Banner.png]
Flatt Bear
(05-30-2018, 12:55 PM)Duffy Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 11:49 AM)faraway Wrote: Not really. It is still crawling slow. The progress bar of the browser stops for 10 - 30 seconds after about 20%. That is the usually the DNS lookup. I changed the DNS and used even VPN tunnel into the US using US DNS without success.

Yes, that would be me. I was trying out some new backup plugins on my own website and the plugins were sending the resources through the roof. Since we share server space, it effected the forum as well. We will, undoubtedly, get an email in the next day or so claiming we've exceeded our resources.

Uhhh, got one yesterday. Eek They don't hesitate  to pounce on you when you do normal things like that.... As usual, we just ignore and wait. I did see some slowing down yesterday for a while, but today it seems normal again. I think we just have to put up with it while we try to get things in order. I don't think GoDaddy is getting upset with us, they just would like us to spend more money on upgrading, on the meantime, I guess we'll just get an occasional slowdown while you do what you need to do.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ok, thanks for the update and thanks for the effort spend for our hobby.
Reinhard
(05-30-2018, 03:13 PM)faraway Wrote: ok, thanks for the update and thanks for the effort spend for our hobby.

We're trying, so thanks, we appreciate your being here and we're doing our best to make Big Blue a comfortable place to come back to. The move to our new server and our new software  was traumatic for sure, but it's turning out to be a good choice. We didn't lose any posts, attachments or people, and that in itself is an achievement. I just got off the phone with GoDaddy and we're ironing out a few more wrinkles.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(05-30-2018, 03:28 PM)ezdays Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 03:13 PM)faraway Wrote: ok, thanks for the update and thanks for the effort spend for our hobby.

We're trying, so thanks, we appreciate your being here and we're doing our best to make Big Blue a comfortable place to come back to. The move to our new server and our new software  was traumatic for sure, but it's turning out to be a good choice. We didn't lose any posts, attachments or people, and that in itself is an achievement. I just got off the phone with GoDaddy and we're ironing out a few more wrinkles.

Well I'm done experimenting with plugins. I've come to the conclusion that I can't run a third party backup plugin on a shared hosting site. They throttle massive file transfers because they are trying to save bandwidth for the other 60,000 users on the same server (rightfully so). I winds up causing socket disconnections and eventual failure of the backup. That's using different plugins so I know it's GoDaddy, not me.

We'll just have to rely on the built in backup procedure godaddy has put in place, although, it's not exactly reliable either. unless, of course, you subscribe to their legit backup add on for $24 a year. It's all about the green.
------------------------------------
Creator of the comic Flatt Bear.
A comic about... well... a bear

[Image: Flatt-Bear-Banner.png]
Flatt Bear
Big Blue is fast and snappy this morning (10am CET). What ever you did you did it well ! Thanks a lot.
Reinhard
(06-09-2018, 03:55 AM)faraway Wrote: Big Blue is fast and snappy this morning (10am CET). What ever you did you did it well ! Thanks a lot.

Well, as Pat says, we are on a shared hosting site. That means that we share resources with a number of other sites. How many? We haven't a clue. For the most part, we should be snappy all the time, but if these other sites start to hog resources, we pay the price. Also, if we go over our allotted resources, they will throttle us down during that period. That has only happened a few times when we've been working in the background though....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and