OK, here's a new one...
Thanks David, Pat can use all the input he can get. He's trying to get in touch with myBB tech to see what he has to do. There are many "unread posts" that actually have been read. The only place that shows up with green arrows is the index page, and all posts there show up as unread. It's frustrating, but we are working on it, so please bear with us....

Mikey suggests that we us the "last post" to the right of the thread in place of the green arrow for now, but even then, it's not completely accurate since it takes you to what it thinks is your last unread post and it may not be. Still, it's better than anything else right now.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Yep. It's still broke. I can't figure out what's wrong. The feature that marks all forums read is not working at all. It won't visually clear out the post markings. In fact, if I use the link at the bottom of the page, it will actually mark all the forums green for me. There's no "tech support" for this software since it's open source (this means the software is written by a committee of people and not a company. That's why it's free to use. the other software we were using was open source as well). This means I have to get my tech support through a forum on the website and I absolutely hate  this approach with every fiber of my soul. There's always one guy who feels it necessary to yell at you for: 1. not using the right form of "their", 2: Not follow the obscure posting rules on the forum for tech support. 3: pokes you with a stick then rolls in on you when you try to defend yourself.

We'll get this worked out eventually. Stand-by.
------------------------------------
Creator of the comic Flatt Bear.
A comic about... well... a bear

Flatt Bear
Don't be frustrated. Software debugging is a real challenge but the eventual victory is very sweet ;-)
While lots of techies love open source I think it has been invented by someone with an MBA to save cost. The labor time of volunteers fighting open source bugs is a dimension not covered in the MBA education.
I wish you the best luck!

ps. I had the pleasure of 40 years in the computer industry but mostly avoided open source.
Reinhard
(06-27-2018, 12:46 PM)faraway Wrote: Don't be frustrated. Software debugging is a real challenge but the eventual victory is very sweet ;-)
While lots of techies love open source I think it has been invented by someone with an MBA to save cost. The labor time of volunteers fighting open source bugs is a dimension not covered in the MBA education.
I wish you the best luck!

ps. I had the pleasure of 40 years in the computer industry but mostly avoided open source.
We would too if we could, but since we won't accept ads or sponsors, we are supported by the generosity of our members, a few auctions now and then and if need be, out of our own pockets. Other forum software usually have reoccurring fees, although they do have support, we need to look at what it takes to keep Big Blue on the air and take the risk.

I agree, solving a problem is the best part of the encounter.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don, I understand and support the idea of using open source software for a hobby forum. It is a good choice for none critical applications like a pure hobby board. I got used to a nice column of green dots greeting me each morning :-)

My last appends should not be understood as critique but I tried to encourage Duffy to proceed debugging open source software.

It was wart part of my last job to assess the risks of using open source in customer projects. It was a constant battle with the young guys grown up in their Linux world at home to guide them into multi million dollar projects at major insurance and banking customers. A bunch of willing and friendly forum supporters can not replace a software vendor with a support contract and written legal liabilities if you have to fulfil a very demanding customer contract.
Duffy's tough luck to have to deal with a not so friendly open source support forum is a double hit.

ps. I love and use some open source like VLC on my iMac.
Reinhard
Reinhard, got to agree, it's tough when you have few choices, and with open source, there are so many fingers in the pot, it's hard to pinpoint who did what. The good thing is that there's more checks and balances today then there was in the past and things aren't as full of holes as it used to be. What should be a help forum for myBB, appears to be inhabited by a few trolls, making it difficult to get answers. We appreciate your insight, understanding and concern.

We have a possible solution, but we will need to shut the forum down for an hour or so to try it. We'll let everyone know before we do that.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
just a tes

Flatt Bear
Don't know if this is related to what's being discussed here, but I can't view any of the photos I have posted (also can't see pictures posted by some other members) unless I'm logged in?  

Bruce
(06-30-2018, 05:22 AM)bdw9535 Wrote: Don't know if this is related to what's being discussed here, but I can't view any of the photos I have posted (also can't see pictures posted by some other members) unless I'm logged in?  

Bruce

As far as I can see, "Guests" (non-logged in members and non-registered) can view forums and attachments, but I'll look into it since apparently, a few settings have changed.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(06-30-2018, 11:38 AM)ezdays Wrote: As far as I can see, "Guests" (non-logged in members and non-registered) can view forums and attachments, but I'll look into it since apparently, a few settings have changed.

Don,

Thanks, it's back to being viewable again without signing in.

Bruce
(06-30-2018, 11:38 AM)ezdays Wrote: As far as I can see, "Guests" (non-logged in members and non-registered) can view forums and attachments, but I'll look into it since apparently, a few settings have changed.
(06-30-2018, 05:42 PM)bdw9535 Wrote: Don,

Thanks, it's back to being viewable again without signing in.

Bruce

Something has screwed us some of our settings. We've been going through them over and over in hopes of getting things back to normal. I'm glad we got this one taken care of.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
So far it looks like we're halfway there, at least from my point of view. Right now, if you go to the bottom of a page and click on, "mark All Forums Read", you will then find from that point on, when you click on "last post" (right panel of any thread), you will be taken to the first unread post of that thread. It seems to work for me, using two different usernames. The things yet to be resolved  is (1) that there are no green arrows on a thread that has unread posts, and (2), the exception to that is the index page where all threads show as having arrows, even after marking all threads as having been read. All the large dots are green too. You can click on one and turn it grey, but when you refresh the page, they'll turn green again....

We are working on it, and believe me, it isn't easy, especially without technical support. But we're doing our best.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Looks better, 500 unread, looked into two and both turned read, marked all read and all green is gone.
New, todays and read posts looks good.
Reinhard
The issue brought to our attention today where using: "www.bigbluetrains.com/forum" would take you to a PhpBB test site has been taken care of. Sorry about that, but that was something Duffy had done while he was trying to find the cause of our "new posts" problem. He has since changed the link back, so you can get here with or without the /forum attached to the URL.

And thanks Tom for pointing this out to us, sometimes we don't get everything right, but give us credit, we try.... Big Grin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I might suggest that those who are still using the old bookmarks that might be referencing https://bigbluetrains.com/forum, that you create a new bookmark that's referencing only the https://bigbluetrains.com. The one with the "forum" in the link is something left over from the old server. You'll still get to the current website using "forum" but I had to set up a redirect for those who are still using that link.

Flatt Bear