HO Streetcar
First run of a Bowser PCC on a Luna track oval. The curves have a radius of 8" only. The Bowser PCC negotiates that curve without problems.

I am currently split between my stationary CSX,NS HO layout, the N scale streetcar and the brand new upcoming HO streetcar layout. My intention is to replace the HO CSX,NS layout with a HO streetcar layout. The N streetcar layout was and still is a test case to see if I really like streetcars etc. The answer is yes but N scale does not fit my eyes and fingers....

The next key tests are the Luna track system switches. They follow European rules (Made in Germany). We will see how NMRA streetcars behave on that switches made for European trolleys.

A small video clip:

[Image: 30495458138_3df729fe4b_c.jpg]
Reinhard
That certainly looks like it runs well, Reinhard.  Are you planning to run overhead wire, too?

Wayne
(08-30-2018, 02:00 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: ...Are you planning to run overhead wire, too?

I am not decided yet. In any case will it be dummy at best case. I could think of tin rubber etc. but my 050 is a strong argument against anything over the tracks.... and track cleaning under catenary might be no fun too. The other thing is how trolly catenary is built in curves, intersections etc. It becomes quickly a nasty spider net. I don't know ???

ps. I have got an unexpected full stop. The ordered switches are sold out and no restocking date is provided. I am trying to get some other source to get switches. That is essential because US wheels most work satisfactory with Luna tracks or I must change all my plans. The current layout will be untouched until that issue has been solved.
Reinhard
Got two switches and a second PCC. Testing and planning continues.

This fascinates me: https://hiddencityphila.org/2014/05/capt...s-and-all/ Do you remember when I plated over half of the layout do create some city scenery last year. Industry and city is what I love to model. 

[Image: 42666550040_7fb4ec720c_c.jpg]
Reinhard
In Charleston SC they run those trolleys with a onboard diesel engine to run the generator and no overhead wires and the trolley pole still on the top so there is a prototype for it.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
@Tyson, I will do the poles but no wires etc.  I assume one line will be at the very front of the layout. That would place the catenary in the most dangerous place and require a sidewalk to place the poles. i will save space an reduce risk by cutting the front street about at the cerbstone. 

A new layout has been established today. The old layout is cleaned up and this is my brand new trolley layout at day zero.

[Image: 29555675437_3c904d9216_c.jpg]
[Image: 29555675407_e9870eab26_c.jpg]
Reinhard
I hate to see the previous layout go but I'm interested to see your take on streetcars. I've been following this YouTube channel that has videos of a very nice streetcar layout.
https://m.youtube.com/user/dandsparks
I am defining my minimum street width in two scenarios
1. Single track, two way street traffic
The sample is not bad (add yellow lines to protect the trolley lane) but there is no space for parking along the street. That is not realistic downtown anywhere in the US. The white board strips at the sides must be added as parking strips on at least one side.
2. Single track, one way street traffic
That is the absolute minimum (turn the white car around). Parking on both sides and one combined trolley and street traffic lane in the center.
Intersting study to get a balanced rail / street relation.

[Image: 44527034381_8d26177cf5_c.jpg]
Reinhard
Moved to phase 1a, the very first track layout more close to the solution I am heading for.
Both ends are connected to the four track staging yard at the other side of the room.
A trolley lines shall run from the staging yard to the west side, pass main street, run the east loop and return.
The other line enters from the staging yard at east side and return via the west loop. A third line may run the the loop only as the small video shows.
It is draft only but it is a layout and I am back in business ;-)

[Image: 30662574998_383cf75011_c.jpg]
Reinhard
I don't know if it would interest you, but since you have Philadelphia PCCs on your layout,  there are a limited number of powered  IHP Kawasaki street-cars  left at the SEPTA store, which is around the corner from my job in Center City Philadelphia.  These are the cars that have been in use since 1981, and the cars are available in several paint schemes depending on the era.  

[Image: 6ABEE38F6687466A8E9D3369157A7A33.jpg]

The drives are supposedly identical to that of the Bowser PCC (my streetcars are first-run dummies, before powered ones were offered),  but they might require some weight.  The models are going out of production due to a lack of interest, so I figure I'd mention it.    IHP used to offer all sorts of Philadelphia area trolleys in the form of resin shells but they are mostly discontinued. I believe IHP offer types some on their shapeways site.  

(09-07-2018, 01:34 AM)faraway Wrote: I am defining my minimum street width in two scenarios
1. Single track, two way street traffic
The sample is not bad (add yellow lines to protect the trolley lane) but there is no space for parking along the street. That is not realistic downtown anywhere in the US. The white board strips at the sides must be added as parking strips on at least one side.
2. Single track, one way street traffic
That is the absolute minimum (turn the white car around). Parking on both sides and one combined trolley and street traffic lane in the center.
Intersting study to get a balanced rail / street relation.

It definitely must have been like scenario 2 in the city.   I saw the old cobblestone streets and street car rails that pass by where I work several years ago when they were tearing up the road.    The street outside is pretty much exactly as wide as your photo.   Today, none of the street cars run above ground in the center portion of Philadelphia.  They run underground in tunnels  before emerging west of the city center.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I saw the Kawasaki streetcars and also the Bowser PCC in Septa paint schemes. It toke me some time but I decided to stay with the green scheme of PTS in the pre SEPTA area. Thanks for your kind information of a source. I would be glad to use it if it would match my layout.
Reinhard
A switch and two crossings arrived to proceed with the track plan development.

The switch was easy and permitted a better use of the east end by the east loop.
[Image: 43917574654_1389f49b8a_c.jpg]IMG_6245 by Reinhard Peters, on Flickr

The crossings did not work as anticipated. I intended to have a second track left of the old one and use the crossing to get from the curved end of the west loop over the old track to the new parallel track. 
[Image: 44586551512_385422e78e_c.jpg]IMG_6245 by Reinhard Peters, on Flickr

The Luna design does not permit that kind of crossing. The crossing fits into the end of the loop and builds a second track right of the old one. Nice try but in the overall track plan a  useless location for the second track.
[Image: 44586551552_7515dd9292_c.jpg]IMG_6245 by Reinhard Peters, on Flickr

Anyhow, I will be busy with sun bathing, ice cream, pools, restaurants etc. on Gran Canaria the next two weeks and the trolley layout will be on hold.
Reinhard
The second best solution to have a two track directional trolley traffic on the main avenue at the front of the layout (The Atlas code 83 will be replaced with LUNA track later). The transition to bidirectional track traffic at both ends together with the street traffic is "complicated" at best. That's it for now. 

[Image: 42844605430_9494ca4690_c.jpg]
[Image: 30784256038_b31c4b7db3_c.jpg]

Suitcase is packed. We are ready to go!
Reinhard
Back from two sunny weeks on the island of Gran Canaria and ordered missing track parts immediately. Remarkable few tourists from UK this time in the hotel. Looks like the British pound to euro exchange rate takes it's toll.

Received all Luna track system components needed pretty fast and mounted the tracks finally. Lots of track parts are not on stock at various dealers and will not be restocked in the near future. Getting Luna tracks is sometimes harder than installing them. I had to accept one switch without the cobblestone surface and used the plain grey version.

Next step is wiring the feeders and the reverse loops (I am living under the layout today Icon_cry ) to continue with the side elements covering the feeders of the Luna system.

[Image: 44350017774_6c546deef0_c.jpg]
[Image: 30133213227_847cdcfe3b_c.jpg]

I have been stupid or brave depending on the outcome and bought two brass Philadelphia PCC streetcars on US ebay. They are on their USPS way and I wonder how well they will perform and how well the DCC update will work. In worst case will I plug the brass shells on standard Bowser PCC streetcar drives. I will keep you updated when they arrive.
USPS has them currently close to Boston!!?? on their way from Philadelphia to Cincinnati for final eBay shipment to Europe.
Reinhard
All tracks installed and wired (10 feeders). Next step is to find a 3.5mm/0.14" thick easy to shape board to get the entire layout at the Luna predefined street level.

[Image: 30141368187_beddd78407_c.jpg]
Reinhard