where are the pix/vids ?
Hi all. i just became a member a few days ago !..I don't seem to understand what the steps are to view pix/vids. I go to a post which displays them. But nearly every time I click them, 'photo unavailable' comes up... I love seeing layouts and their trains. What steps am I seemingly missing to accomplish this ? Where do members' shots open up whether they be stills or YouTube vids..? Might it be because I'm still a hobo in the group ?
Thanks, Mark, Los Angeles
You should be able to view all photos without regards to how many posts you've made. The message you're  getting is when you are viewing a post that linked to Photobuckets. A while back, they changed their policy that you could not link to a photo on their site unless you were a paid member. Many people just went on with their life and left things as is. Sorry about that, but we have no control over that.... We always recommend that photos be uploaded to here for this very reason.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Yeah, I've seen the same comment/question in other forums as well. It's photobucket - or perhaps someone deactivated their account (or got booted) from a photo hosting site. I knew of one guy on another site who got POed and that was his way of burning the bridge on his way out - he deactivated his photo hosting site and all his photos disappeared.

I always upload my photos directly to this site.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
The only time I used Photobuckets for links was when I had a few things I was selling. Those links now show as "photo unavailable" because I decided I didn't need a paid photo site to link to. Lots of other folks didn't think they needed to pay Photobuckets either, and their links were cut off as well... Photobuckets links intentionally show as a frame with those words in it, other sites may do the same. I keep getting pestered by Photobuckets to join in and send them some cash just to release a few outdated photo links. You can still go to my site there and see them and other photo groups I have there, but no links allowed and I just don't care.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
So, am I correct to assume I will see very little pix in BBTF unless I pay a fee to, is it, photobucket ? I left a couple other forums for other reasons, but neither were difficult to find tons of vids/pix in nor was there a fee to do so...So far I like BBTF allot because it seems to lean more toward fine-scalers more than to say, the toyish end of the hobby. I'm lame about allot of I-net nomenclature/navigation...I'm not fully sure what I'm being told by you. Is there going to be a void for me, of photos ? Or, am I misunderstanding just how TO pull them up ?  Thanks again, M
(11-29-2018, 05:07 PM)MarkinLA Wrote: So, am I correct to assume I will see very little pix in BBTF unless I pay a fee to, is it, photobucket ? I left a couple other forums for other reasons, but neither were difficult to find tons of vids/pix in nor was there a fee to do so...So far I like BBTF allot because it seems to lean more toward fine-scalers more than to say, the toyish end of the hobby. I'm lame about allot of I-net nomenclature/navigation...I'm not fully sure what I'm being told by you. Is there going to be a void for me, of photos ? Or, am I misunderstanding just how TO pull them up ?  Thanks again, M

You are misunderstanding what we are telling you. It's the member that has the photos there and have linked them, not only to here, but anywhere, can only be shown if they pay the fee to join Photobuckets. You cannot pay to see them, but you could see them on their Photobuckets site if you did find their photos there. Photobuckets is a photo sharing site that used to be free and allowed external links, but about a year ago, they changed the rules and started charging members if they wanted to link to external sites such as ours or any other forum, train or otherwise.

That being said, we have tens of thousands of photos that have been uploaded to here or linked to sites that are not blocked.It is just a small percentage of our photos that are affected by this, but as I said, we're not the only site that these links are blocked on, it is universal on any site that has these links. Most photos here are uploaded to our site and that's where they stay, unaffected by the whims of photo sharing sites.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Big Grin 
..I think I savvy now..  The person with the pix pays 'Phobux' to down load them onto BBTF.. Yes ? But there are lots of pix/vids otherwise, in the forum(s) anyway..Yes ? ( I have seen several now. So, that ends that little quest...
Unless I never noticed before, compared with prior forums I do think this is the 1st forum I've encountered which does require a payment to an outside business (phobux) to post certain pix. Well, lots of vids on YouTube which were free for years, now require a payment..I knew way back that that was inevitable. No longer can you watch, full feature, say, A Hard Day's Night, Wizard of Oz, (original) Frankenstein, or, say, Yankee Doodle Dandy for free.. 
So, why should it be any diff for certain forums ? In this case BBTF.. If I'm now on the 'right track' (HO code 70), no need reply. 
Thanks Don and others, ....M
(11-29-2018, 09:24 PM)MarkinLA Wrote: .....compared with prior forums I do think this is the 1st forum I've encountered which does require a payment to an outside business (phobux) to post certain pix....

Mark, this Forum doesn't require a payment to anybody or from anybody (unless they wish to financially-support it by clicking on the "DONATE" button).  Some of us, me included, pay photobucket to have our pictures available to post wherever we choose.  I do use my photobucket for some pictures here, but this site also allows Members to post their photos here as attachments, in their own posts and/or replies to other Members' posts. 

You can view any of the attached photos in this Forum, and also any pictures from photobucket or other similar sites, where the person posting them either pays, or has free access, to link his photos thus-stored to this Forum.

The pictures in the links below are from both photobucket and as direct attachments to the threads in which they appear.

This Forum is one of the most photo-friendly of the on-line train forums, but as Don has pointed out, the photobucket debacle caused a lot of photos on a lot of sites to disappear.  
I have lots of photobucket-linked photos here because I opted to stay with photobucket, but I also have a number of threads illustrated with attached photos.  Most of the latter ones had the order in which the photos appeared reversed from their original placement when Big Blue's site was recently upgraded.  I have re-done several, and will provide some links, just to assure you that we do have pictures.  Simply click on any link to go to that particular thread:

Building Beeg Boy...

Extra 727 East...

Hurry up and wait...

Only a few photos here:  Give 'em a foot...

A short video here, courtesy of photobucket:  Thirty days in the hole...

Rollin' on the river...

Boosted output...

Throwing your weight around...

Moving day...

Used cars - low mileage and in good condition...

There are lots of other photo threads, too, by both me and others, so take a look around.

Wayne
Thank you Wayne for making it clear that it is not Big Blue that requires the payment, but Photobucket for linking to any of the photos there anywhere on any site, including but not limited to Big Blue. Nobody, no other sites shares in those payment either, it all goes to Photobucket. We were OK with these links, but we've lost photos from a few other photo-sharing sites that shut down without warning and this was a blow to a lot of forums, not just ours. These changes in policies is one reason why we keep harping on uploading attachments (photos, videos documents) to Big Blue rather than linking to other sites. We have no control over what they do.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
OK ! Thanks.. I'ts clear now. Mark
Just for laughs, I just got this email from Photobucket. It is posted today @ 11:00AM... Today is Dec. 1, note the date on the notice:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and