A Little Help Please
Just fired my layout up after a long time away, I was running 2 of my engines just a few laps and it seems they have lost there minds. My Kato GP35 just sits and hums with the lights on and my Kato GP30 ran a few laps and now its doing the same thing! should I flash and reprogram them? or do you think something else is up? I have several other engines that are running fine.
Don't know much about DCC - But I'd say go with your thoughts and reprogram.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
If all the others run fine I would put them on the program track and do a complete reset. Be sure to remove the locomotive from all power for the reset to complete. I assume you have never had them consisted, but if you have you might want to try setting CV 19 to 0 before trying the reset.  Remember the locomotive will respond to the address 3 after a reset. The instructions for the locomotives should give the settings for a reset. Sometimes it works better on the main but make sure no other locomotives get reset if you have to do that. 
Charlie
(01-01-2019, 08:51 PM)Charlie B Wrote: If all the others run fine I would put them on the program track and do a complete reset. Be sure to remove the locomotive from all power for the reset to complete. I assume you have never had them consisted, but if you have you might want to try setting CV 19 to 0 before trying the reset.  Remember the locomotive will respond to the address 3 after a reset. The instructions for the locomotives should give the settings for a reset. Sometimes it works better on the main but make sure no other locomotives get reset if you have to do that. 
Charlie

OK you have gone off the reservation with this!!! I'm Old and New at this DCC stuff! what is code CV19 and address 3? I have the  NCE Power Cab. didn't see any reference to those codes in the book? 
Thankyou for the help If you could just explain or simplify your Reply
If your track has sat idle for some time you may want to clean it.  DCC track doesn't like dirt.

Bruce
Big Grin 
(01-02-2019, 12:45 PM)pennman Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 08:51 PM)Charlie B Wrote: If all the others run fine I would put them on the program track and do a complete reset. Be sure to remove the locomotive from all power for the reset to complete. I assume you have never had them consisted, but if you have you might want to try setting CV 19 to 0 before trying the reset.  Remember the locomotive will respond to the address 3 after a reset. The instructions for the locomotives should give the settings for a reset. Sometimes it works better on the main but make sure no other locomotives get reset if you have to do that. 
Charlie

OK you have gone off the reservation with this!!! I'm Old and New at this DCC stuff! what is code CV19 and address 3? I have the  NCE Power Cab. didn't see any reference to those codes in the book? 
Thankyou for the help If you could just explain or simplify your Reply

OK. when you run a locomotive you put an address into the throttle the default address for most new locomotives is 3. when you program them to a different address you are changing the Configuration Variable so the decoder only responds to the address you use for the locomotive. That is how you are able to run different locomotives in different directions at different speeds. DCC is all gobbly gook until you understand it and that isn't hard. It is just different. I recommend you read this https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/arti...hange-a-CV  and then ask away. PM me if you need to. (some times I don't get the notifications for a PM so if I don't respond let me know in this thread with a post. 

To answer this specific question CV 19 is used to make a locomotive respond to a consist number. If you want to MU several locomotives  you build a consist using the throttle, as you add locomotives the throttle changes the value of CV 19 to the consist number you are using. you can use any number from 112 to 127, other systems can use from 1-128  https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/arti...-Explained

When I first got DCC I didn't have a clue but with time and patience and a whole lot of help from Deano it started to make sense. I use MRC A squared so it is slightly different, but the programing is the same Read the basics, and like Bruce says make sure the track is clean (or the whels on these locomotives) 

The instructions are really not clear at all, you may even find some better information on wiki or youtube.  I am a lousy teacher, but I will try my best, I too am an old fart... Misngth 
Charlie
Thank you sir, just got done reading your message and opened the link you sent me, looks like I have some reading to do. I cleaned all the rails and wheel sets, several times, other engines are running good, just these 3 want to be problem children. going to work on what I know and hat you have just explain, plus read all the info on that site. will let you know soon.
Thanks again