Track problems -- short circuit?
Suddenly having track problems on my layout which might be a short circuit. 

The layout and its wiring it ultra simple. Basically, I have two loops. My outer loop is divided into two halves. Power has suddenly stopped getting to the left-hand half. The layout was working perfectly when a train I was running suddenly stopped on this left half. Basically, the transformer lights up as it normally does when power is going to the R/H part of the layout. But, if I turn on (i.e. have power going to) the L/H side, the transformer light goes out. The transformer also gets very hot.

Again, I had not made any changes to the track, etc. The layout was working fine until this suddenly happened.

I have my wires going to an Atlas switch (terminal #205). Is it possible that switch is failing? I've had it for about 15 years.

Thanks in advance!

Rob
are the two loops connected with a switch if so, is the dead part where the switch is ?Jim
Rob,    check first for something on the track that is causing a short. (You do have a short from the sounds of your post) something may have fallen from the train. If nothing there check all turnouts if you have any and make sure the frogs and points have not shorted. The next step would be to remove the switch wires one by one. 
      A defective switch is possible because it was sudden, but the turnout and metal shorting the track cn do likewise.
Charlie
Thanks for your feedback above! But I just found out what my problem is. It was the Atlas #205 switch. The 'port' on the far left where the wires join in bad. Once I disconnected the wires from that port and used the middle one, everything worked fine.

Only problem is that the middle one was used to give power down a siding. Will have to get a new #205 this week.

Thanks again.
Thanks, Charlie. I had wondered if the frogs or turnouts were causing this -- and this might still be partly the issue. But, now that I'm not using the far left switch (on the #205) and just using the middle and right one, maybe that does indicate that the #205 is at fault?
From what I see that switch has both wires running to all 3 switches so you have a total shut off to each track/block so it is possible that the #3 position has shorted internally which would cause the transformer to heat up. By changing the wires to position #2 you have eliminated the possibility of a short elsewhere because now the track in question runs fine so it is almost certain the switch is bad. A new switch should  solve the problem 
Charlie
"Only problem is that the middle one was used to give power down a siding"
Make sure there is not a short on that siding.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks, that may be the case. But how do I find the cause of the short?
wire the section of the switch that you are no longer using to the siding and see if it heats like before. If it does it is in the switch, The siding was not a problem before because that is where the section of the switch you are now using was originally wired. Actually for a siding you only need one track insulated and a single SPST switch to cut and restore power across the gap.
Thanks, Charlie! Will try this.