The rebirth of the Canyon State RR
The Canyon State RR was formed back in 2002 located in a garage and on a door mounted on a mobile base. A few years later, we moved and the CSRR was made more permanent since it had a room all its own. Eventually, it was doubled in size to a U-shape and even had a backdrop. Unfortunately, when we decided to downsize in 2014, I had to put that room back the way it should be. For some stupid reason, I removed what I could from the layout and brought what was left to the local landfill. I would like to think it got destroyed in an earthquake, but that’s just my world. Everything that was not destroyed by that really localized quake was packed up and remained that way through four moves. I still miss that layout and I miss building things, but I now have the time, space and desire to start again, and I hope that I can document my progress from a thought to  sketches to reality.

Here are a few photos of my old layout, like most layouts are, it was a work in progress. I hope I can reuse most of the structures that I was able to save, especially the scratchbuilt ones:

Main St., Mar. 2006

Chapel, Aug. 2006

Pond, Dec. 2010

Denny’s, June 2013

Fuel Depot, Sept. 2013

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
This is the first step, a CAD drawing of, yes, a 36” x 80” door on a somewhat mobile base. It has storage under the door and the layout will swing open on either side for access to wiring and anything stored inside. I’m making it low for now, just 30” so I can work on it while sitting in a chair; parts of me just aren’t what they were back in the old days, although I’m hoping that my hands and fingers can still work with N scale. I can always change the table height later by replacing the legs.

Layout table assembly

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Oh, the base was made from a single sheet of 4' x 8' MDF, here's the cutting plan:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
The bench is just about done, just need a bit of paint, move it out of the garage and attach the legs. Meanwhile, I’ve been looking at a lot of track plans and decided I liked the one I had before, mainly because it allowed for a lot of room for scenery and structures. I’ve modified it a bit and probably won’t stick to it exactly once I get started, since I don’t want to replicate the old one anyway. Here’s my first cut on the track plan, the old one had a large hill and tunnel, I think I’ll use that space for industrial, beyond that, it’s anyone’s guess, even my own....

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(02-05-2019, 04:21 PM)ezdays Wrote: The bench is just about done, just need a bit of paint, move it out of the garage and attach the legs. Meanwhile, I’ve been looking at a lot of track plans and decided I liked the one I had before, mainly because it allowed for a lot of room for scenery and structures. I’ve modified it a bit and probably won’t stick to it exactly once I get started, since I don’t want to replicate the old one anyway. Here’s my first cut on the track plan, the old one had a large hill and tunnel, I think I’ll use that space for industrial, beyond that, it’s anyone’s guess, even my own....

It certainly looks like a great layout and will give you hours of enjoyment. I'm glad you are finally able to get back at it.
Charlie
I agree with Charlie, and a layout is a great place to which you can escape. 

Wayne
Thanks guys, I'm changing my attitude and allowing time for myself. I've now got one day a week (8 hours) all to myself, and I've put everyone on notice that I'm going to start weaving in some things that I want to do and ease off a bit on those that require more of me than I have to give. In short, I've finally gotten some outside help for my wife who needs a full-time caretaker. I'm still it, just that I'm giving myself time to do other things, and this is one of those things that I enjoy doing.

Enough about personal things, but this is actually happening after a few years of just hoping... Worship
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don it's good to see you are back at it! Model railroading can be great for getting your mind off of any worries you might have. I know it has helped me get thru some major health issues. When I do get back in the RR room time just seems to slide on bye and any problems I might have are left outside the door and cease to exist as long as I'm in there!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I'm happy to see you finding time for a layout again! Very important for you to have time to take care of you when you are taking care of others. I've got twins turning 2 tomorrow - and since they were born my modeling time is extremely limited - but I know that I am a much happier person if I can do any kind of creative project.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Thanks again, you are all right on the mark. I should have done this at least a year ago. We moved so many times that it would have been foolish to just start something then have to dismantle. We are here for the long haul, and I need the respite. I'm glad to see that doing modeling is helping you all, I guess it doesn't matter what you're doing, knitting, painting, collecting, working on cars or, in our case, model railroading, it's a much needed break. Building something, anything, is my passion and this is going to be what I want to do....

The bench is completed and ready to move as soon as I can get Pat (Duffy) to come over to help. Meanwhile, I've got to order track and roadbed, going to go with Fifer unless someone can recommend another place. All the places I used to buy from are now closed, both local and on the Internet.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Nothing against Fifer and I think he is out your way. Here on the east coast I use Trainmaster Models in Buford, Ga.

https://www.trainmastermodels.com/

They are a train only store. You can take a tour of the place on your computer or smart phone. Of course I also use Walther's as well.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Don - glad to see you working on the layout. Being a health care provider is not an easy task. I hope you have good luck finding track. I have seen on other forums where Atlas track is getting hard to find. One place that apparently still has it in stock is Trainworld. The discussion was about HO but may (or may not) also apply to N. Looking forward to pictures.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Lots of people out of stock on Atlas code 80 flex track. Did find some at Trainworld though. Thanks Tom, got the roadbed there as well, and the prices were good. I've bought from them before, a long time ago. My go-to place used to be Standard Hobbies, but they've been shut down for many years now.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Got it together and in the house. First photos of my layout base. Next step, add foam sheets and start shaping the terrain:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Note to self:  Remember to remove all loose items before opening handy storage area!   Misngth

Nice and neatly-done, Don. Applause Applause Applause

Wayne