The rebirth of the Canyon State RR
(02-09-2019, 06:26 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Note to self:  Remember to remove all loose items before opening handy storage area!   Misngth

Nice and neatly-done, Don. Applause Applause Applause

Wayne

Ahh yes, I remember that well. My last layout had one side hinged and I didn't always check first. Icon_redface Icon_redface

And thank you, let's hope this works as well as I think it should. I did it this way more for access to the wiring, but I am short on storage space elsewhere, so this should help.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Nice work, Don. Looking forward to watching the progress.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
You could use the old Lionel Magna-Traction trains, They might stay on when you raised the roof ! Big Grin
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks all for the kind words

(02-10-2019, 07:55 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: You could use the old Lionel Magna-Traction trains, They might stay on when you raised the roof !  Big Grin

I didn't know they came in N scale.... Icon_rolleyes
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Leave em' out in the rain and maybe they will shrink? Big Grin
Mike

Like I said that I probably would, once I started to put down foam I had to make changes to my track plan. Several structures that I saved from my old layout were presenting problems, but most of all, I found that if I started at one particular point, I could not return to that point without backing up, Icon_redface  so I now can run an outside oval, an inside oval, switch between them or loop back and forth. My passion is in doing the scenery anyway.... Worship

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Well, that didn't work like I thought. Once you start putting down foam, you get to see the faults in your thinking. I'm redoing the west side and modifying the track plan once again. I think what I've got now will work, but I won't know until I start sculpturing what I settle on. After all, it's been a good many years since I've done this and I have to learn things over again. Fear not, I am making progress and it feels good to be able to finally get back to modeling again. Worship Worship
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don I used to use one of those CAD programs but when it came to actually building the layout I had to make so many changes I went back to using the ol' pencil and paper routine. Big Grin
Mike

(02-27-2019, 06:41 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Don I used to use one of those CAD programs but when it came to actually building the layout I had to make so many changes I went back to using the ol' pencil and paper routine. Big Grin

Yeah, things never seem to work out like you put down on paper. I do it because it gives me a chance to sit down and rest while I play in my CAD program. I might do better if I used a real MRR design program, but I tried that a few years ago and it never seemed to do what I wanted it to. Some programs are like that, obstinate, uncaring and unhelpful... Icon_rolleyes
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Well, I am moving right along. Just posting this so you don't think I'm not doing anything. I'm at the point where I can start laying roadbed. I've got progressive photos of how I got to where I am, I'm not sure if they're worth posting (kinda don't show a lot), but I will at least take a shot later today and post it. I spent a bit of time sorting bits and pieces that I had in those small cabinet drawers. It seems like with four moves, all sorts of small parts jumped into each other's drawers such as pins (two types) and rail nails (two sizes). Lots of fun, but I think they're all sorted back now and I think I know what I have and where things are, so I can move on to modeling again.

Modeling time is kinda at a premium when you're a caregiver, but I do manage to squeeze in a few minutes when I can, and I now have one day a week that I can spend hours modeling if that's what I choose to do that day. 2285_ 2285_
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Well, I took a couple of shots to show that I'm really working on this layout. A few that I don't really need to post show the base foam, then the basic shaping using plaster-soaked paper towels. After that, I did more shaping of the terrain using joint compound. I like that over sculpture mold because it has a long set time, I can put it on rough and a put more details on it hours later, sometimes even the next morning. All that plus it's cheap and available just about anywhere. Anyway, I have my semi-finished shapes and grades and put on a coat of brown paint as dirt. Doing that brings out a lot of the imperfections in the surfaces that's hard to see if it's all white. The black tape shows about where the tracks will go.

The chapel in the background is on I scratchbuilt years ago and was on my old layout. It's the Chapel of the Holy Cross up in Sedona, Arizona, hence the red rocks. I added to it's base so I could put a tunnel under it. It is 220:1 scale since it would have been way too large if I did true N scale.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
A great beginning Don. We are looking forward to see your progress. 
Charlie
Moving right along! I really need to get of my butt and get back to my layout.
Mike

Thanks, it doesn't look like much right now, downright ugly and depressing for sure, but it is the bottom layer of what's to come. Think of it like a woman that just has her base makeup on with a lot more to go. I'm just excited to be able to keep going on this. Some of my modeling time is taken up with sorting out the mess and repairing damage from moving so may times. Most of the damage is to structures that I saved from my old layout, locos and cars seem to be OK. But, regardless of what I'm doing, I'm enjoying every bit of my modeling time. Icon_e_biggrin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Model railroading is our escape from the real world, and is a place where the sun always shines, and the trains are on time.  Would that we could make it real.

Wayne