The rebirth of the Canyon State RR
That is so true Doctor Wayne---I was reading the paper this morning and got really upset with all the negativity and stories about hatred in the world.I went down to my train-room and suddenly things calmed down and I felt at peace----my substitute for drugs and alcohol
We went to a local Chinese restaurant for dinner today. My fortune cookie said:

Quote:Begin nothing until you have considered how it is to be finished

How did they know that I just started a new layout? And I'm wondering how that applies to model railroading anyway. Nope  I doubt that any modeler can think ahead that far. Like most, I haven't a clue how this will look,  even as I'm going along, and that's a good thing since we're all open to change and trying different things as we go. That's the fun in it, nothing we do is cast in stone and we can make our own rules. Cool
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Ahh, things are moving right along. All the roadbed is down (with a few changes), turnouts are in place and I'm starting to lay track. I'll post a few photos as soon as I can clear off the junk that's scattered around. But I just wanted you all to know that I am indeed getting things done.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Good to hear Don.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Some real progress. Got all the roadbed down, turnouts (or switches) in place and some track down as well. I detailed the canyon since I have two bridges going over it. This took a while since it's been so long since I detailed or built anything that I must have eight coats of paint on the rocks and several attempts at the water before I called it done. Not too sure about the water though, still not as I would like it, but there's time to redo if I want.

Overall, messy but in progress:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I think you are making great progress Don, and working in N is beyond me. At one time I had N, but my eyes have gone past that. I am thinking I would go back to 12 inches equals a foot railroading if the stuff wasn't so heavy.  I am impressed with the great look already.
Charlie
Thanks Charlie, I chose N because I could get a lot more details in a lot less space. That, plus my eyes and fingers were use to working with small electronic parts. Not as easy nowadays as when I started, but I try. Goldth
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
The water looks great in the pics Don.
Mike

Thank you Mike, I have always valued your opinion.

Now, for a bit more progress. Yet another bridge, this one over a small pond, but enough that the little guys can't lay any track until the bridge is complete. I still have a bit more to do on the scene, but it's finished enough that I can get the track layers back on the job.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Well, here we are a month later and I finally have all the track down. I just finished yesterday and haven't tested anything, but in due time. I did unpack a lot of the structures that I salvaged from my old layout, and there's lots of damage. Most I can fix, again in due time. Here's a few shots of how things might look once things get to the point where I can put a few of these structures in place. I'm also missing a few, they're hiding somewhere, but I'll find them all, yup, in due time....

Here's a few shots of some of the damage. I think they all can be repaired, first I'll have to decide if I want to put them on the new layout. Got lots of bits and pieces that I haven't a clue where they go:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Nice progress Don! Has the track been wired so you can run a train?
Mike

(06-13-2019, 05:19 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Nice progress Don! Has the track been wired so you can run a train?

Not yet Mike, that's the next step since I need to make any corrections before I do the ballasting, I also need to put in the manual throws. Got one overpass bridge that I need to put in somewhere, but I'm not sure where it gets located until I get my downtown arraigned since it'll tie into one of the streets.

Just a question, when do most of you put down your ballast and weather the ties? Before putting down any structures or creating scenes, one of the last things you do, or as you go?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I always put the ballast down after the track is in place and thoroughly tested. If some of the scenery or ground cover starts to cover the ballast I can always add a little more ballast. I've regretted that method only a couple of times where I had to pull up a section of track and redo it.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
(06-13-2019, 06:52 AM)FiatFan Wrote: I always put the ballast down after the track is in place and thoroughly tested.  If some of the scenery or ground cover starts to cover the ballast I can always add a little more ballast.  I've regretted that method only a couple of times where I had to pull up a section of track and redo it.

Tom

Yeah, I've always done it upfront as well. Trackwork is not my favorite thing to do, best to get it over before the fun start. I was just wondering if there was a better way to go about this task.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Ballasting is the last thing before tearing the layout apart to move house. (Youngs's rule)

Seriously, though, I like to run it for a while before ballasting. Most of my scenery is removable from in front of the tracks.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.