It's been a long time....

Here is today's epic progress.  I weathered and put some final touches on some more boxcars.  Painted up the trucks and wheels and attached them for a photo op too.  All that's left to do is to dulcoat them and I can install the couplers and enter them into revenue service.  Thanks for looking and have a good night.
Nice weathering job on those boxcars, Shane. Applause Applause Applause

Wayne
Thanks Wayne!!  

I applied the dulcoat to models the other day.  Off camera I'm building another tank car and I've primed a few more boxcars.

Thumbs Up 
Hello,

these Box cars are remarkable well built and weathered. Thumbsup

Lutz
Excellent weathering!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Good evening all,

Finally got around to applying the first colour coat to another round of boxcars.  I'm using ProtoPaints...gotta say...I'm not impressed.  They are pretty finicky and clog the airbrush pretty fast.  I've tried distilled water which makes them too "watery" and tonight I tried some reducer which didn't seem to help at all either.  Somehow I muddled through and managed to get some paint on... constantly stopping to clean the airbrush was a pain.  Gotta figure something else out. 

Also managed to get the first coat of black primer on my tank cars.  The tanks are very delicate once assembled so attention to hand placement is required when turning or flipping them over.  Basically I applied the primer to the topside surfaces...waited 24 hours then primed the undercarriage.  Anywho...That's all for tonight.  

They look good regardless.
I've also had issues with the Protopaint. I found it clogged my internal mix Badger airbrush almost instantly so I switched to my external Mix Pasche airbrush. I kept the air pressure fairly high (can't really remember the exact pressure and thinned it with protopaint's thinner considerably. It still had a tendency to dry quickly and I had to soak the airbrushes in Isopropyl Alcohol to clean them later.
They remind my of airbrushing with the tamiya Acrylic paint as both have a similar smell to them, like they are alcohol based instead of water based.
Just my 2 cents
Progress continues on the rolling stock front.  I finished building yet another tank car which I find are a lot of fun to build.  In the background you can see two that I've added the final colour coat to.  Going for that grey black been in the sun too long kinda look.  I'd like to vary the colour of each one.  Once I receive my decals I'll apply them, weather and call them done.

Starting to decal some USRA cars with the LS&W livery.  Here is where I'm at layout wise so far.  Need to figure out how I want to number these and I'll be good to go.

That's all for now.  Have a great night.
Looking real good! Nice work.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Thanks Tom!  I appreciate the compliment.

So settled on a number scheme.  2112.  I'm a big Rush fan ...so yeah.  The other two cars will start with the prefix 21 as well however I'll just pick the last two digits at random for the remaining two boxcars I've set aside for the LS&W. I have some Tichy USRA boxcar decals that I can use for the specs which I'll add tomorrow.  Splicing the numbers was easier (not really) then I thought.  I need the practice as the remaining CPR boxcars I have to decal all have to have their numbers spliced.  Ugh...  

One down...two to go.  I still have to put the decals on the end but man...this is taking longer then I thought.  My newest best bit of kit is as much of a curse at they are a blessing.  While I held off getting a set for the longest time due to the "geek factor" my Optivisor has been essential and has really upped my game.  But they also mean I can see details so much better and now fuss about getting things just right.  Still...I'm glad I finally purchased a set.

Nice to see bil's railroad represented on such a well-done car.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne. I'd want to do the man proud. So I'm taking the time to do it the best that I can.
Done the lastest batch of decals in my never ending quest to build everything myself...hahaha.  I could not have done the splicing of all those numbers especially on the bulkends without my Optivisor.  The decals are just too small for my eyes.

A couple more pics I meant to upload.