American Flyer Train Set...
Wayne, this says what I am trying to point out : Most American Flyer "S" and "O" engines were designed to run on AC or Alternating Current. Although, the motors are what is referred to as "series wound", so they can also operated on DC or Direct Current. Maximum voltage is 15 to 17 volts.  http://www.rfgco.com/tips.html?trans.html

Charlie
Charlie, if I had read more carefully the second post, in the first link you provide, I would have known that. 35

My wife might be right...I am getting more stoopider!   Misngth

Wayne (used to rhyme with "brain")
Wayne my driveway has been repaired and I will be going to town today so I should have some prices for you tonight. I still wouldn't try running the engine on DC myself.

Remember his name is AC not DC Gilbert! Big Grin
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Wayne the book only gives good and excellent and judging from the pics those would be rated as fair. Bottom line is about $50-$75 for everything. The one exception is the semaphore. I can't see the number on it. Most are $5-$10 dollars but if the number is 588 you have hit the mother lode! Excellent shows $2450 and good $650, I would guess fair condition at $400-$500. No idea why so high. There are several variations of the loco with the fair values ranging from $15-$45.
Mike

Thanks for that information, Mike.  It's much appreciated, as I haven't a clue about such trains - I had a Marx set as a kid, but other than that, I know only of HO, and am generally not too concerned with prices, as much of my stuff was bought "used".

I agree that the condition would be considered fair, but I'll have to give the seller a call regarding that
semaphore. 

If it's the right one, he might be able to afford the cost of shipping it somewhere.

Wayne
You're welcome Wayne, I hope your friend has that magic number 588!
Mike

I've contacted my friend about the semaphore, but he said that a quick inspection of it showed no number at all.  He did mention that there's a screwed-on plate on the bottom of the base, and is going to remove it for some closer inspection.  The semaphore seems to be one of the most detailed items of the set, with a bulb to light the lense in any of the three colours (red/yellow/green) and a mechanism to position the blade in the three proper positions to match the colours.  Lots of wires, too.

Wayne
Maybe he will find #588 on the inside!
Mike