The New PistonBroke Line
Jack, 

The old PistonBroke Thread was a hoot!  Only on page 6, but your postings bring a smile to my face.  To see you start literally from ground zero with almost no experience at all to having fun with our hobby is great.  Glad to see you're trying this adventure once again.
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
(01-24-2023, 07:49 PM)TMo Wrote: Jack, 

The old PistonBroke Thread was a hoot!  Only on page 6, but your postings bring a smile to my face.  To see you start literally from ground zero with almost no experience at all to having fun with our hobby is great.  Glad to see you're trying this adventure once again.

Thanks Todd, seems like a million years ago now, but lots of fun times and steep learning curves.

So onto the next iteration of the PistonBroke line. For those interested I will try to explain this journey I'm now on, I'll also accept all help, advice, and brickbats I receive with grace.  Icon_e_biggrin
Any questions you may have I'll try to answer.

I realise its not everyones cup of tea, but for me who has no idea of how a real RR operates I am intrigued by the idea I can watch many trains operating at once, stopping at destinations I tell them to, obeying schedules and timetables as programmed all the while obeying rules of the road. And all the while I can sit back and enjoy with a frothy in hand....  Popcornbeer

First thing to know,  the programme I use is Very Expensive. So you need to make sure this is the route you want take, I'm not sure of the price of other software options.. and there are others. 
I use Railroad & Co which has a programme called Traincontroller.
And Digikeijs is my controller of choice.

It has the simplicity of being able to connect straight into the computer, and the ability to connect loconet and Lenz type systems was a winner for me.

Traincontroller has three different levels of programming and of course ... $$, Bronze Silver & Gold.
 I purchased the gold edition. In for a penny, in for a pound.
And I know nothing of where I'm heading, except it sounds kinda cool, to me.
 A Laptop is all that is needed, old is ok as not much RAM is used, but I did purchase a larger screen just to be kind to my eyes.

Now we are Ready to Rock & Roll   2285_

Jack  219
LIFE....
..... Abandon the search for truth
Look for a good fantasy
Beats the heck out of my wired throttle!

Looks like there is a ton of capability - hope the learning curve isn't too steep, but based on your previous layout in the old place, if there's one thing you do not lack, it's the bravery to take on a challenge! A couple of years ago I looked (briefly) into computer control DCC systems. It was primarily brief because of the number of shekels necessary - I didn't think my Commander-in-Chief would have understood the expenditure. Then again, she's looking into tearing up our ceramic tiles and replacing with waterproof vinyl in the kitchen and she's willing to experience a little sticker shock to make that happen....
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
(02-08-2023, 11:31 AM)TMo Wrote: Beats the heck out of my wired throttle!

.........  A couple of years ago I looked (briefly) into computer control DCC systems.  It was primarily brief because of the number of shekels necessary - I didn't think my Commander-in-Chief would have understood the expenditure.  Then again, she's looking into tearing up our ceramic tiles and replacing with waterproof vinyl in the kitchen and she's willing to experience a little sticker shock to make that happen....
    Icon_e_biggrin

Todd, I used Xtrakcad to draw both PistonBroke RR iterations (design I suppose). I reckon stick with it if you can, because if the parameters are set correctly, it won't let you design a radius to tightly or mis-align turnouts, it correctly draws parallel tracks etc.
I did print the layout off and stuck all the million pages together (in sections) and then used a dressmaker's pin wheel to transfer the centre line onto the foam baseboard as seen in the photos at the beginning of this thread. 

I see that Iron Planet Hobbies are a great promoter of the Digikeijs system, which I use.    Digikeijs DR5000 ~ 18 Volt ~ Command Station ~ LocoNet, XpressNet, RailCom, WiFi, USB – Iron Planet Hobbies

The Gold version of Traincontroller costs US$699, so for me, add on another 30%. (That's probably a lot of waterproof vinyl. Goldth )
However, as I am retired, the War Office here thinks it was a good investment to keep me off the streets and out of the Pub.

I settled on the DR5000, which is the DCC controller as it plugs straight into the computer via a USB. it was relatively cheap, and no other modems or paraphernalia to buy or worry about.
You can also use it as an ordinary DCC control station and run trains with it as a loconet or xpressnet  system with the appropriate handsets.  I had (still have) a Lenz system and use the handset when I want to.
You can use it with its built in wi-fi to control trains via a phone or ipad. 
It seemed pretty versatile, and the rest of the Digikeijs stuff has held up so far as well.

The DR5000 also compatible with software such as itrains, Rocrail, and others I can't remember.
Wiring for computer control is no different from DCC.
Except more  ... but not a great deal if done right .......... because we need to have occupancy detection, and electrically controlled turnouts for the basics.

Pictures next time 'cause this keyboard stuff is tiring, I spend more time correcting than words than typing new ones.  Icon_mad

Jack  219
LIFE....
Look for a good fantasy
Good info!

If my current DCC system decides to go up the kerflooey, I think I'm going to make the dive. I ran into a hell of a deal a couple of years ago for a booster (Power Station 8) for my Prodigy Express. $25 new in opened box (retail was well over $300 I think) from a reputable shop.

As I alluded to from a post about a month ago, have the good ole computer keep track of switches would certainly be a boon to discourage derailments. Can't count the number of times when I've forgotten to rethrow a switch after moving a train up from the storage level and then having to hear the sounds of locos and rolling stock piling up in a bad spot to get to on my layout. One of the major switches on my layout is INSIDE A TUNNEL. Brilliant planning, and I thought long and hard about it.
Hi there Jack,

loving the layout and the ideas, I definitely need to poke more around your old thread too.
My favorite... can I name one?... I like the goods shed... but the haunted house has to be it Smile
Also will happily look a bit more into your digital system.

Looking forward to see more in the future, thanks for sharing.
Kitty
Playing with trains in scale 1:87 and 1:1
My modeling motto: “too many tools, but no clue”
Where are we at?

OK we have the brains, which is the DR5000, and I plug it into the computer with a USB chord which comes with it.

Once plugged in an Icon appears in the taskbar.
If you click on the icon the app opens up onscreen and can be operated (if you want to) from there.

There is also a minimal amount of setting up to do to enable it's features like it's wi-fi, and the type of connection you require.

You can see that you can use either LocoNet or FB (which is Lenz Roco etc) with it.
There are feedback ports for both systems

It does not have to be hooked up to a computer to work, but will work like any other controller

So simply by clicking on any of the buttons or port names on the image on the screen a window will open to enable you to edit or see the settings contained therein

ie: if I click on the red button off the image it will stop the RR
Click on the green button and it starts the RR
There is a port to attach your programming track, and then open the window by clicking the programming track port and begin to programme your DCC locos.
It just seems simple and easy to use just by clicking on links/buttons with windows opening so 
you can see what you are doing.

If I can get this Video to stick it may explain what my garbled rhetoric doesn't!

Jack   219
LIFE....
Look for a good fantasy
the layouts looking good , all that electronic stuff looks impossible (for me) , all my stuff is 12 volt DC .
(02-27-2023, 04:32 PM)mr bachmann Wrote: the layouts looking good , all that electronic stuff looks impossible (for me) , all my stuff is 12 volt DC .

Looks impossible to me too Mr Bachmann.  Goldth   Really  ........  But most of the stuff is plug and play now. 

Just plug the controller into the computer and let the computer do all the work!! Computer just takes over from the hand throttle, if you want it too.

I use tortoise for DCC turnout control.
Below is a group of Wabitts that send messages to the Tortoises. Nothing unusual for DCC
Plus 2 current detection modules to detect what section of the RR is occupied

I started like most with a circle on the floor and a 12 car battery, (yep, a car battery inside  Icon_e_surprised ) with a screw inserted into the casing 3/4 of the way along to make the connection to the Hornby line @ 9v. Most likely about 1955.

Life got in the way about 8 yrs later. Then Grandchildren came along, I bought a train set for them one Christmas and helped them put it together.

It stayed with us, and was brought out each visit,  then they found other things to do and I stole their Christmas present.

And from a straight DC circuit train set it just got bigger than Ben Hur in a very short time. Maybe going on 15/16 yrs now it is what it is.

From DC to DCC and decoders in trains and then to Computer control, learning all the time. Mostly from sites like this and good ol' Google, because the nearest reasonable size town is 200km (120miles) away, so interaction and advice was hard to come by.

I have let a bit of magic smoke out of a few things along the way, but mostly all has been OK and the mistakes not too expensive.

When people see the wire mess under my baseboard they have a fit, but it is just progressive wiring as you know, and any modeller will tell you. One thing/wire after another.   Icon_e_biggrin

Below are 3 "wabitts" .... each control 2 turnouts. for future reference I have put the turnout identification number next to the side which controls that turnout.
Same wiring for a hand throttle.
The yellow & orange wires go to temp. on/off switches to also control said turnouts.

Jack  219
LIFE....
Look for a good fantasy
Peter, I am really enjoying this even though I know nuthung (SGT SHULT) about it. I would love to do this but I doubt the good Lord will give me enough years to get into this.  As for neat wiring, compared to mine yours is a masterpiece. This photo shows neat wiring compared to mine.      .
Great work and I am following along but in the dark. 
Charlie
OBJack , you was well off using a 12 volt car battery , my first train set was Trix Twin with a hand cranked controler the faster turned made the trains go better .
(02-28-2023, 11:22 AM)Charlie B Wrote: Peter, I am really enjoying this even though I know nuthung (SGT SHULT) about it. I would love to do this but I doubt the good Lord will give me enough years to get into this.  As for neat wiring, compared to mine yours is a masterpiece. This photo shows neat wiring compared to mine. .
Great work and I am following along but in the dark. 
Charlie

Big Grin Icon_e_biggrin
 I see yours and raise you ...

Counterpunching 1,2 and 3

Besides being sloppy, the only excuse I can give is that at least I can trace any wire if need be, and when all is ok I will cable tie them into bundles of sorts. I also hear that you can get cross-talk (false indications) if wires are too tightly bundled.

That is wiring for all digital or computer controlled sound, turnouts, lights, signals, reverse loops, turntable, block detection.

Jack  219
LIFE....
Look for a good fantasy
For those following 

If you have a DCC controlled RR with electrically controlled turnouts then the only other thing required to run your trains by computer with a Digikeijs 5000 controller (or any other DCC controller) is to divide the layout into Blocks, or sections, using insulated rail joiners. It is preferable to have these sections or Blocks as long as your longest train although not mandatory.

One of your BUS wires makes a deviation to go through the Feedback module.

Then wire in detection and feedback modules of choice (A DR4088 gives feedback from 16 Blocks and about $60 US)

This will have no impact on running trains with your DCC system if you don't have it connected to a computer.

Most of my "Blocks" are the section of rail between two turnouts, so as long as the same side of the rail is isolated (you only need to isolate one rail) that the detection module is connected to then that's all that needs to be done. See 1st diagram

The computer needs this information to see where your loco is. These modules work on current detection, so if something is drawing current on that section be it loco or lighted carriage then the Computer knows about it.

From my office right now, might have to go fishing......

Jack   219
LIFE....
Look for a good fantasy
Ouch! Beats the view out of my office - the rest of the basement. Love the wiring shots, Charlie - now mine doesn't look so bad....
(03-03-2023, 04:37 AM)TMo Wrote: Ouch!  Beats the view out of my office - the rest of the basement.  Love the wiring shots, Charlie - now mine doesn't look so bad....

Oh dear, I can see I am going to have to do a "before and after shot" on the spiderwebs under my bench now. ? 
Coming in 2026 .... ono.

Now onto Traincontroller.....
There is a fella who does youtube video walkthroughs on all aspects of Traincontroller.
I think he is one of the most valuable resources to get going with the Traincontroller programme.

He is very easy to follow, and gives all the step by step detail required to get it up and running successfully.

In this link below, I have cut into his Video at the point where he shows how easy it is to draw your own RR into the programme.

https://youtu.be/0mwh5cn3Cfc?t=191

Jack  219
LIFE....
Look for a good fantasy