Ezdays' 2020 a bit over one sqare foot challenge
(03-22-2020, 03:18 PM)ezdays Wrote: ....It's like retracing one's learning curve, only it's a lot slower now than before.... Icon_rolleyes

I dunno, Don, I'd say that you're sailing along rather smartly.  I wish that I could get things done that well and that quickly.

Wayne
(03-23-2020, 08:10 AM)doctorwayne Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 03:18 PM)ezdays Wrote: ....It's like retracing one's learning curve, only it's a lot slower now than before.... Icon_rolleyes

I dunno, Don, I'd say that you're sailing along rather smartly.  I wish that I could get things done that well and that quickly.

Wayne

Thank you both, Mike, first order of business is to get those parking meters in. Can't run a town without revenue... Nope

Wayne, I wouldn't be this far ahead if I didn't have those buildings from my old layout. Most needed repairs or rebuilds, but as for current progress, I'm not so sure there is so much of that.... Waiting
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Some progress. Got the foamboard secured in place. Glad I had a lot of ammo to weigh it down since it really got warped. The firehouse and commercial buildings are pretty much done. Just have some detailing to do on both. The apartment house is in process, the construction crew took a break but will be back as soon as the glue dries. None of the buildings are fixed in place yet since I'm still not sure what's the best arraignment. No big giant steps, but moving along as best I can.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Looking good Don!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
That looks Great!!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I agree, but I also like those right-angle clamps that you're using, Don.  I'm not sure if I have even one structure on my layout where all of the corners are at 90º to one another.

Wayne
Thanks everyone. Wayne, those clamps are very special. I got them at Sears and I think they're older than I am. Well, close enough to be considered a family heirloom. Pat (Duffy) says, "don't ever sell them at a garage sale", he uses them as much as I do.  I have a difficult time getting corners to align and I always seen to have to fiddle with them after assembly. These clamps not only keeps them square, but also aligned, top to bottom. Don't think Sears has them anymore, but Lowe's has similar ones for around $10.00US each.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
OK, I have the three new structures finished, but the apartment building gave me a run for my money. I left the roof off so I could put in sheets of window dressing that I made on my computer. I backed the sheets with black paper and cut out where I wanted light to shine through. No biggie, but when I finished the Gambrel roof, the two sloping pieces were too big. Why? Well Model Power used a plastic tree from another model and they just didn't fit, and was a bear to trim after they were glued in place, just glad they weren't too small..

The second issue I had with this is when I submitted the plans for adding the fire escape, the Town Building Commission rejected the plans (see photo), because there was no way to get from one floor to the other (who's dumb idea what that at Model Power?). Fortunately, after a bit of research, they said that the building is grandfathered in. Apparently, 140 years ago their code only mentioned fire exit doors, no ladders or stairs. So we're good to go the way it is. The only thing is, you'd have to jump from the fourth floor (about three inches) in case of fire Eek .... (hmm, who's dumb ideal is that?). Icon_rolleyes

Anyhow, I'm starting to blend the foam board into the existing landscape (see last photo), so I've been busy, just wasted a lot of time on the apartment house.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
WOW!!  Eek  G Scale clamps on those tiny buildings...  I can relate to that  Goldth

Looks Great!!!!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
(04-02-2020, 08:12 PM)ngauger Wrote: WOW!!  Eek  G Scale clamps on those tiny buildings...  I can relate to that  Goldth

Looks Great!!!!!!

They're going back to the store, I was assured that they were 1:1 clamps.... Icon_rolleyes
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Building looks great Don!
Mike

(04-03-2020, 06:26 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Building looks great Don!

Thanks Mike, not bad for a 140 year-old brownstone. I do see a few areas that I meant to touch up, that's what I like (or not) about close-up photos, they show all the flaws. Eek
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(04-03-2020, 06:51 AM)ezdays Wrote: ....that's what I like (or not) about close-up photos, they show all the flaws.

Yeah, but they also show the good stuff, like those window treatments, which make the place look like people actually live there.

I like it! Applause Applause Applause Applause

Wayne
(04-03-2020, 07:42 AM)doctorwayne Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 06:51 AM)ezdays Wrote: ....that's what I like (or not) about close-up photos, they show all the flaws.

Yeah, but they also show the good stuff, like those window treatments, which make the place look like people actually live there.

I like it! Applause Applause Applause Applause

Wayne

Thanks, that was the idea, blank windows on an office building is OK, but not where people live. What I like about the closeup shot is the chance to fix those things that aren't quite right, especially working in N scale and with aging eyes. Icon_e_surprised It's good that you can now see what needs to be changed, and still have a chance to be able to go back and do it.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Aging eyes? Really? Come on Don you are only in your 70's, you are still a kid! When you hit your 90's then you can talk about aging eyes! Big Grin
Mike