Samhongsa 2-8-2 S-2 Mikado
Photo 
        Hello,

I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of a well loved and cared for Brass Samhongsa CNR painted 2-8-2 S-2 Mikado.
The previous owner has said that after approximately 15 years in storage the motor is working in forward and reverse but the locomotive will not move. He suggest it could be drive chain linkage has become disconnected or that the coupler has dried up.

This is a lovely looking engine and I would like to see if we have any other owners of this type of brass locomotive that could make some suggestions?

Thank you

Sean
Hi Sean, and Welcome to the Big Blue Trains Forum!

A friend, also a Member here, has a couple of those locomotives, and I've worked on both of them. 

Until you receive it, though, it's not going to help much, speculating on what the problem might be.  I can think of several causes, but all would be fairly simple fixes. 
When it shows up, remove the boiler/cab assembly and post some more photos, specifically of the motor's driveshaft to worm-shaft connection, and if we can't see anything wrong there, I'll give you a few other photo requests.

Those locomotives are generally nice runners, and I'd guess that I may have been sitting for a while, so there'll be several things to inspect.

Wayne
Hello Sean---welcome to BIGBLUE and congratulations on your recent purchase---the CNR S2A Mikadoes are beauties.Doctor Wayne certainly is an expert and I'm sure he can provide the information you need.Looking forward to seeing your locomotive on future threads.Here's one of my Mikadoes that has been modified as #3547.

[Image: 49682501883_e8a9c8cdca_k.jpg]P1390843 (2) by Ed Creechan, on Flickr
Hi Sean---here's my other S2A Mikado---#3529.This locomotive was highly modified and painted by my friend Wayne.Samhongsa produced two versions of the S2 Mikes---your version has a different pilot (horizontal slats) and has an oil bunker on the rectangular tender.Both of my models have the "tube" pilots and 3529 came with the Vanderbilt tender,the tender on 3547 was replaced to more closely represent the actual prototype locomotive.

[Image: 49323208976_6d1b70b563_k.jpg]P1390144 (4) by Ed Creechan, on Flickr
Good morning Wayne and Ed,

Thank you both for replying, I was hoping that you both would as I have admired your work with CNR locomotives for some time.

I will let you know when the Mikado arrives,

Sean
Hello,

The Mikado has arrived with a few tender issues:

The first I think is a simple fix, the front truck sagged and when I compared it to the rear truck noticed one had a spring to cope with the sag and the other did not.
The second issue is a little more serious in that the rear tender step on one side is missing. There is a corner bracket but the steps are gone, not loose in the box either.

I will take a few days to review the locomotive for other issues before addressing the drive issues

Regards,

Sean
(05-26-2020, 08:49 PM)Wheeltapper Wrote: Hello,

The Mikado has arrived with a few tender issues:

The first I think is a simple fix, the front truck sagged and when I compared it to the rear truck noticed one had a spring to cope with the sag and the other did not.
The second issue is a little more serious in that the rear tender step on one side is missing. There is a corner bracket but the steps are gone, not loose in the box either.

I will take a few days to review the locomotive for other issues before addressing the drive issues

Regards,

Sean

After painfully slowly learning how to remove the boiler and cab I have some photos. Even before removing the boiler and cab I noticed on the bottom there was a gear box which was able to rock back and forth through maybe 50 degrees showing no link to the drive shaft.

Once the chassis was opened up I could see no link between the motor and the gear.

I have to say its one of the scarier maintenance projects working on a brass loco.

Attached Files Image(s)

Probably rubber tubing as a driveshaft - not uncommon, but it hardens with age, and then often crumbles.

Model airplane fuel-line tubing is a good choice for a replacement, but you'll need to either measure the diameters of both the motor shaft and the worm shaft, or take the loco along if you can find a nearby model airplane shop.

If you don't have a supplier for model airplane stuff, contact me via PM.

Wayne
Hello Sean,

without wanting to offend you, in advance some questions from me:

What do you want to do with your loco?
Should it become a showpiece reperesented onto a shelf or in a showcase and for this very seldom running?
Would you like to use it on your layout in a regularly manner and should it run flawless like a todays diesel loco model?

My background; i have rebuilt dozens of elderly brass locos to running conditon for layout use. Some of this rebuilding and upgrading projects i have posted here in the forum.
(05-27-2020, 09:28 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Probably rubber tubing as a driveshaft - not uncommon, but it hardens with age, and then often crumbles.

Model airplane fuel-line tubing is a good choice for a replacement, but you'll need to either measure the diameters of both the motor shaft and the worm shaft, or take the loco along if you can find a nearby model airplane shop.

If you don't have a supplier for model airplane stuff, contact me via PM.

Wayne

Well that was unexpected, would be it be hard to just replace the motor and worm gear with something more effieicient?
(05-28-2020, 03:12 AM)Schraddel Wrote: Hello Sean,

without wanting to offend you, in advance some questions from me:

What do you want to do with your loco?
Should it become a showpiece reperesented onto a shelf or in a showcase and for this very seldom running?
Would you like to use it on your layout in a regularly manner and should it run flawless like a todays diesel loco model?

My background; i have rebuilt dozens of elderly brass locos to running conditon for layout use. Some of this rebuilding and upgrading projects i have posted here in the forum.

Hello,

Yes I would like to see it running as efficiently as possible for my DC layout