Remaking of the Ridley Keystone & Mountain
Aha...the Revell sandhouse and fuel tank.  I still have the sandhouse, but it's missing a door or two, and needs some other minor repairs.
I did use the fuel tank support structure last year to make a service area for the Erie Northshore's "BEE", and its trailer cars, but I had previously shortened the fuel tank for use elsewhere, so I had to create a new one.  
I used a plastic tube from the paper roll of a Telescript machine from work.....I might have a few more somewhere, as we ran through those rolls pretty quickly.  This tube has been shortened a bit, with styrene ends added to it...

There's further development to be seen HERE, as it was part of a Challenge from last year.

Wayne
I added some cinders and ballast along with ground cover around the structures. I added many of the detail parts included with the kits. Once these are placed on the layout there will be additional work and detailing completed.

[Image: cuhpeo5.jpg]

[Image: GLKr61V.jpg]

[Image: ASHrCVX.jpg]

[Image: UVTj6kp.jpg]

This is what is next, Walthers Wood Coaling Tower.

[Image: mqYPvJ9.jpg]

[Image: fZwpfKS.jpg]
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Great work Tom---looking forward to future additions.
I realized I have not posted any progress on the Coaling Tower.

First shot is from Monday, the 15th. I have gotten most of the conveyor tower done at this point. This was something of a problem as the backwall piece (with the bracing) was warped. It took some time and patience to get the side walls attached properly.

[Image: KJjkZB7.jpg]

By Tuesday I have the bin nearly completed and the chutes for the covered track. The chutes are a pain in the rear. I gave upon trying to rig them and have them move. The black thread that came with the kit is useless. It frays and unravels too easily and is too big for any of the holes it is supposed to pass through. I did find a metallic thread in my wife’s craft box which was thinner and seemed to work but the fact you must have X-ray vision and move the thread with your mind as you set the two sides of the bin together made it impossible.

Again, the warped piece made for some frustrations, but it was not as bad as the first time.

[Image: CYI63GV.jpg]

Tonight, I finished adding parts to the front of the tower. I also built the chutes. I am debating whether I am going to rig them, so they move or not.

The small walkway was a pain as there are no marks or anything to tell you where the braces go. The instructions just say to glue them. From the picture on the box, I figured out they go against the diagonal braces at the vertical member. The ones on the end have nothing to help you. I placed the walkway and then the end braces to match it.

[Image: Xr8OIwj.jpg]
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Nicely done Tom!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I finished building the coaling tower. This proved to be somewhat of challenge and very frustrating at times. Several pieces were warped which made for difficulties getting pieces to fit correctly. On several occasions the instructions were vague on how pieces went together and there were no marks, pins, holes, etc. on the pieces to help. Luckily, I was able to determine where they went by trail and error or the pictures on the box.

The most frustrating thing, however, were the coal chutes, in particular the rigging. The thread supplied was too large. I tried different thread and wire, but nothing looked right. After a rather annoying session of trying to rig one of chutes and a couple of pieces coming off the model and a glue spill, I seriously contemplated throwing the kit against the nearest wall. After a long break I made my peace that the chutes will not have rigging.

I painted a few items on the model and declared it ready for weathering.

[Image: 8AW7BXG.jpg]

[Image: sxJA1Ky.jpg]
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
You did a great job on that coaling tower Tom---if it were me building this kit it would end up smashed against the wall or put back in it's box.Keep up the good work---I'm looking forward to seeing your steamers fueling up.
I realized it has been a while since I posted an update. So here we go.

I finished weathering the coaling tower. Adding the tracks for the hoppers to unload and the tracks under the coal bin are the only things remaining. I plan to add them when I place the tower on the layout.

[Image: tsAfiCe.jpg]

[Image: j2RajRm.jpg]

[Image: BIKFt6y.jpg]

[Image: LHFjgcF.jpg]

I am going to work on the track laying for the next few days.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Thumbsup
Big thump up!

Lutz
I am a little behind on posting updates. Here is a quick one.

I finished the inner loop.

[Image: 7pAHwmD.jpg]

[Image: OTrLRrE.jpg]

This is temporary as there are switches to be added to create the third partial loop. Once the switches arrive, I can begin working on that aspect.

Two things that will occur before the addition of the third loop is the laying of the yard for the engine facilities. I am not sure how this is going to look since this is a change from the original plans which called for a yard with some industries in the area of where the engine facilities will be.

The other is adding the Water Tower Diorama. At this point I have no clue where it is going to go or how I am going to manage it. The location will be on the other side of the layout from the city. That part of the layout will be the last to be worked on. Wherever it goes it will most likely be a temporary location.

Another note. I am working on the Engine House. Since the Engine House is my Challenge Project I will post information in my Challenge post found here: https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9315
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
(03-22-2021, 09:44 PM)tompm Wrote: I finished building the coaling tower. This proved to be somewhat of challenge and very frustrating at times. Several pieces were warped which made for difficulties getting pieces to fit correctly. On several occasions the instructions were vague on how pieces went together and there were no marks, pins, holes, etc. on the pieces to help. Luckily, I was able to determine where they went by trail and error or the pictures on the box.

The most frustrating thing, however, were the coal chutes, in particular the rigging. The thread supplied was too large. I tried different thread and wire, but nothing looked right. After a rather annoying session of trying to rig one of chutes and a couple of pieces coming off the model and a glue spill, I seriously contemplated throwing the kit against the nearest wall. After a long break I made my peace that the chutes will not have rigging.

I painted a few items on the model and declared it ready for weathering.

[Image: 8AW7BXG.jpg]

[Image: sxJA1Ky.jpg]

Can you use some fine chain instead of cable?  Chain was used commonly on the coal chutes around here, since it wore better than cable.
I have thought about chain. If I decide to revisit the issue it will be an option.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Since I cannot work on the Engine House due to either paint or sealer drying, I decided to fiddle with the engine yard. I am not developing anything that I truly like. I feel there is too much wasted space. Also, the missing switches are not helping things. I went an order a few more on Saturday. We will see which get here first; the ones that left Oklahoma City on April 2nd or the ones I ordered from Brooklyn on Saturday.

Here are a few photos of the latest configuration.

[Image: 7cO5ZWg.jpg]

[Image: ZjqULnV.jpg]
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Tom---that coaling tower is really looking good.If I could suggest adding a water tower and a couple of water columns I think it will be a great scene for servicing your steam roster.
I haven't checked in here in awhile. You have been building some outstanding models!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string