Remaking of the Ridley Keystone & Mountain
(04-13-2021, 05:10 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: I haven't checked in here in awhile. You have been building some outstanding models!

I can't take all the credit. My son built the tall apartment building and the Jewelry Store (middle building behind coaling tower). I built the Belvidere Hotel ten plus years ago, and my son refurbished it including replacing the awnings. I have to do the weathering on them. He wasn't ready to do that.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
(04-12-2021, 08:02 AM)cn nutbar Wrote: Tom---that coaling tower is really looking good.If I could suggest adding a water tower and a couple of water columns I think it will be a great scene for servicing your steam roster.

I have several other models to add to the scene as seen in the photos below. The white piece of cardboard is the footprint of the Engine House. Some things In addition to the placement of these structures I need to resolve and create a place to store full and empty coal hoppers, sand hoppers, and fuel tank cars. Then there is what to do with the ashes.

[Image: KTLl552.jpg]

[Image: VZ2Bidt.jpg]
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Since I finished the building of the Engine House (Do Something Challenge) I have been fiddling with various track layouts for the engine facilities yard. After several tries I am completely frustrated. I cannot come up with anything that is feasible and works from an operations stand point. Therefore I am going to abandon the yard for now and work on the Cinder Conveyor and Ash Pit Kit which is Do Something Challenge, part 2. https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9332
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
I gotta say. Looking at this on my tiny phone screen at first nothing really caught my eye. But then I decided to give it another look on my computer and when I saw the first photo with the tall buildings in the middle I was like, oh that's going to be a really cool urban setting. Its looking good Tom!
Even while concentrating on the challenge projects, I am still working on the layout.

Over the past few days, I worked on making a crossover out of #8 turnouts and a 12.5-degree crossover.

[Image: WWDtcmj.jpg]

[Image: yhScx7b.jpg]

The big news is I added the Water Tower Diorama into the layout. The location is temporary but I can now run trains past the Water Tower once again.

[Image: pU6kLRo.jpg]

https://youtu.be/joLit9lrPLc

https://youtu.be/pJZLCTV84w8
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Yeah, love that scene........ Worship Worship
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Some fantastic scenes Tom. The crossover and water tower diorama both look really cool.
Yeah, it's nice to know that we'll still be able to enjoy the run-pasts at the water tower. Applause Applause Applause 

Wayne
Thanks folks!

I am waiting on some track and inclines to make another crossover and correct issues with the Water Tower tying into the layout. The water Tower diorama sits on roadbed and the new layout does not so I need to transition from one to the other. My makeshift transition works, but barely.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Tom:
I made some transition roadbed from 2" foam (styrofoam insulation).
I took some wood strips (1"x1/8") and pinned them to the sides of the foam. I set them so that they angled from roadbed depth at one end to 0 at the other, one on each side.
Then I ran the WS hotwire tool along the strips. This gave a nice sloped piece.
Check the grain on the wood -- you want it to go with the wire, not catch on it.

Somebody really skillful might be able to make top and bottom transitions.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
David - thanks for the info. I really need to get a hotwire tool.

I did order the Beginning Transitions from Woodland Scenics along with some track from Trainworld. I am waiting for it to arrive. It left Brooklyn on the 4th and made it to Philadelphia on the 5th. Philly sent it back to Brooklyn and it has been sitting there since the 5th.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
I have finished weathering the Water Tower and Cinder Conveyor. Now it is time to decide what is next. My choices are:

Lay out the track and buildings for the engine terminal. I need to assess what track I have particularly turnouts. I must determine a logical way for the terminal to operate. This will determine the track plan and where the structures go. 

In doing some research about engine terminals I now realize a few more things I should have. They are washing racks, and a place to inspect the locos once they enter the facility. Another thing is a way to turn the locos. I do not have the room for a turntable or wye. Therefore, I am looking at something hidden. The loco goes around a building or something to a hidden turntable and the 0-5-0 crane takes care of it.

Ice. One of the perils of reading is learning. Through my reading of milk trains and produce trains I have discovered icing stations generally happen at or near engineer terminals or yards. Since I have this reefer and milk reefer obsession I ought to think about an icing station. I do have a Walthers Icehouse and Platform kit.

Move on to the Passenger Station. Should I build the Union Station kit and Platform kits? These are going to one of the main focal points of the layout. Is time to jump in.

Take a break and build some rolling stock. Is time to step away from the layout and doing something completely different for a time?
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
I finally installed the temporary inclines at the Water Tower Diorama. The inclines now uniformly lift the track to meet the Water Tower Diorama. The trains are running many times better.

[Image: RKwJOD7.jpg]

[Image: GvWnNUi.jpg]
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Applause Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Looking better all the time Tom.