Weekly Photo Fun 7/31/20 - 8/7/20
HA HA! I was able to start this weeks WPF thread FIRST this week Icon_e_biggrin 

SD40-2T on point with a few hoppers rolls through Rock Valley...
[Image: vAkc5aX.jpg]
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Deano - Great looking unit. I like the patched unit.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Deano,  nicely done and a great start for the week.

YPMA-02 has just dropped a covered hopper for glass cullet at the Flying Fish Brewery.

Bruce

Bruce - I love your industry scenes and the fact they are Conrail is even better.

With this crazy year these were a belated birthday and Fathers' Day gifts. My newest PRR electric motors. Bachmann GG1, and Broadway Limited P5a.

[Image: 2D4IGzD.jpg]

[Image: Yg1tuYL.jpg]

I have a question about sound in locos. Does anyone have an opinion? I personally am not sure about it. While I don't mind the whistles and bells I am not sure about the other sounds.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Bruce, Thank you! , Awesome pic too, I always look forward to seeing the scenes you set up Applause

(07-31-2020, 06:02 PM)tompm Wrote: I have a question about sound in locos. Does anyone have an opinion? I personally am not sure about it. While I don't mind the whistles and bells I am not sure about the other sounds.

Tom, love the Pennsy electrics Applause

I have sound in over half of the locos I have, when I first got into sound I totally loved it, now, years later, I still love it but am glad I didnt put sound in all my engines. For one thing, you will find that some sound decoders sound better then others, your liking will determine what ones you like best, for me, QSI and Tsunami are by far the best, well, Tsunami's Steam sound decoders that is, for Diesels its QSI for me. 

Having sound in engines really brings a lot of realism to your operations, makes running trains much more enjoyable if your operating them, really if your doing operations its almost a must to have sound for added fun. If you learn the correct horn blasts and when to use the bell, use the couple crash sounds, WOW, you just cant beat the added fun sound brings, seriously.

HOWEVER, there are times I watch youtube vids like "Soo the Milwaukee Road" , or "High Iron of Wisconsin" , etc, while I am just running two trains around continuously, in that case sound in your engines is an annoyance, sure you can punch in F8 and turn the sound off butt...     

OR, one other thing about engines sounds is they really dont sound like the loud thunderous bass sound of a real engine, its just not the same. Sometimes I will play youtube vids of real trains while I am running trains continuously, it feels a little more realistic at times.

Sorry for the long winded answer Tom/folks, bottom line, if you plan on running trains realistically, GET SOUND, you'll thank me later Icon_cool .
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
To me sound is a very subjective decision. I do have one engine that will do sound on DC and I bought an Atlas Quantum Engineer to eliminate the switch flipping required to make it work. I was not impressed with the quality of the sound. As Deano mentioned I really like the low frequency rumble that you can feel in your chest. Having said that I was truly amazed at the low speed performance of DCC.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
A busy location in the Leetown Yard.

Ed - Leetown is a great place to catch some great looking steamers.

Going with the steam theme. Here is this weekend's run by lead by my Mantua New York Ontario & Western 2-8-2 Camelback. I finally got the couplers changed over. I used a Kadee #148 on the tender. On the loco the screw holding the hook and horn coupler was stripped and there was no hope of removing it. I had to cut the coupler off. Since I do not plan to use the coupler I took an Bachmann EZ-mate coupler and trimmed it to fit and glued in place.

[Image: 0w2R9Ml.jpg]

Next is an Accurail Lehigh & New England wood box car

[Image: LUoUrlT.jpg]

Then an Athearn undecorated wood boxcar I painted and decaled for Rutland

[Image: oZHEzEH.jpg]

An Athearn NYC hopper with a custom made coal load

[Image: 1S2Z7Ap.jpg]
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Following is an MDC/Roundhouse Erie gondola

[Image: TTWZcpG.jpg]

A Mantua Pure Oil tank car

[Image: zX4lUHB.jpg]

An Accurail New York Central wood boxcar

[Image: ViB5wFG.jpg]

And bringing up the rear an Atlas NYO&W caboose.

[Image: Ie4Xjlg.jpg]

And now some video footage

https://youtu.be/JT0WpIyWML8
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
CNR F7 #9100 heads train 247 on the Stoney Creek Hill.

Spotting a couple of cars at Languay's factory...

Wayne