Juneco Caboose
I am actually building a Juneco Wood Kit of a CNR Wood Caboose for a friend of mine.  This being the very first wood kit I am building, I am not sure how to finish it. Basically two questions?

1- What kind of primer should I use?

2- The kit came with Dry Transfer letters.  Is it possible to use regular decals instead on wood surfaces or should I stick to the Dry Transfers?

Thank you.

Guy from Southern Quebec.
1 I still use floquil barrier (hard to find )on the rare occasions I work with wood , what ever you do don't use a water based paint .

2 you can use decals if you use a gloss paint if not stick with dry transfers .
Yeah, once it's painted, it can be lettered in a manner similar to what you'd use on a plastic car.  For dry transfers, a flat finish works well, while you'll need a gloss finish for decals.  You can get either type of finish right in the paint, or simply use any type of paint, and then overspray it with a clear finish which is flat or glossy, as best suits your choice of lettering.

Wayne
I've been using krylon paver gray as my new primer of choice. It's a fairly light neutral gray that most colors will cover.

I've built 4 Juneco cabooses, two Canadian National and two Canadian Pacific. Great models. If memory serves I sanded down the window frames as I thought they looked a little oversize.
(08-27-2020, 11:44 PM)cnrglen Wrote: I've been using krylon paver gray as my new primer of choice. It's a fairly light neutral gray that most colors will cover.

I've built 4 Juneco cabooses, two Canadian National and two Canadian Pacific. Great models. If memory serves I sanded down the window frames as I thought they looked a little oversize.

Thank you for the hint regarding the size of the windows.
Guy from Southern Quebec.
That bare wood looks very nice...seems like a shame to have to paint it in the first place.