Latest project....
(10-04-2020, 07:19 PM)RailCop Wrote: Wayne.................................................................you need to drink more beer!

Well Kevin, I wish I could be down in Ohio and Pennsylvania drinking with friends there, but I think that those days are still quite a ways from happening.

I ran out of beer last week, but instead of getting more, I opted for a nice bottle of Bushmills...maybe I'll get some more beer, too, just to see which one runs out first.  
Either one actually helps me to see better, usually at least two images of everything.   Cheers

Wayne
Thanks, Deano.   It's funny how things from the past pop-up outa the blue sometimes, and other stuff seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Wayne
Well, the desk is mostly done (daughter is painting it, and when done, I'll assemble the components).

This allowed me to get back to the TH&B hoppers (I still need to scratchbuild a TH&B caboose, and a TH&B Consolidation...and maybe some passenger cars, too).

Here's one of the upgraded original cars, ready for some paint, before I can add the final details...

...and a close-up view of one of the brake release handles, a seldom modelled detail (that re-weigh date will be amended, too)...

This is one of the models representing the cars not yet upgraded to AB brakes...

...with a similar handle for the brake release...

The next step will include some partial painting so that rivet decals can be added, and that followed by full painting of the undecorated cars, along with lettering and weathering.

Here's a photo of the parts that will be used when I'm able to get the additional four cars....

...with notations to remind me where to place them. Misngth 

Wayne
These are great builds. We need to get cross border shipping fees to be made the same as in country. Then you could build more. 
I am glad the desk is done. I hope you will share those pictures too.
Charlie
Thanks, Charlie.  All of the desk parts have been primed, and I believe that our daughter is planning the next coat for Thursday, as it's expected to be unseasonably warm.  Once the components have two coats of the finish paint on them, I'll assemble the parts.  However, I think that they're going to redo the floor in that room, so that will have to be in place before the desk is installed.
I built another desk for her several years ago, and it's also in that room - it's too heavy to be moved, even by two people, but can be disassembled.  I hope to get pictures of both.

Making the second desk has now got two of our granddaughters interested in having custom made desks, too, but I won't work on those until next spring, as I'll have to work either outside or, if the weather's lousy, in the garage, which is definitely not a good place to build furniture.
When I built our house, all of the kitchen cabinets were built in the basement, in what eventually became my layout room. 
Once I had this latest desk mostly made, I took the parts into the layout room to set them up to see if they went together properly.  They took-up part of this aisle...

...and part of this adjoining aisle...

....as the desk is "L"-shaped, and roughly 6'x7'x2' deep.  It was a tight squeeze to get past it as the first aisle is less than 3'wide, although the second one is close to 4' in width.

(11-17-2020, 06:47 PM)Charlie B Wrote: ...We need to get cross border shipping fees to be made the same as in country. Then you could build more....

Charlie, I was somewhat surprised when in October, I ordered some train stuff, mostly parts, from Tichy.  The parts arrived in 4 days, with only the normal shipping fees to Canada - no duty, no HST (federal & provincial tax) and none of the ridiculous "handling fee" that was formerly charged.  It's my opinion that if the border agents wish to handle my stuff, they oughta pay me for that privilege.

Charlie, I still prefer to pick-up my orders from you, as it gives us good opportunities to get together.  I hope that in the coming year, we will have lots of those get-togethers and that the circumstances now keeping us apart will be resolved by then.

Wayne
Worship Applause Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Always impressed by your details. Like the long shots of your layout too. Worship Worship
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Thanks, Don.

The project struggles on, and I finally got the undecorated cars painted, along with the re-worked underframes of the older ones.  No photos, but last night (until about 5:00 AM) I applied some more details (shown below) to all of the 8 cars that I have on hand.
These three-dimensional decals, from Micro Mark, have been cut to fit various places on the ends of the hopper cars (the Kadee coupler is there only to impart a sense of scale)...

Note the ones at the bottom, cut to fit into the cars' poling pockets.

The ones from Archer are a little easier to use, but didn't have the rivet patterns required.  The MicroMark ones don't respond all that well to Solvaset, so I usually do at least two applications of that setting solution, and once those have dried, use a small brush to apply MEK to each decal - the key to not destroying the decal (removing the rivets) is to make a very light and rapid pass with the brush.  Even if there's a little too much MEK on the brush, it's less likely to remove the rivets than if the brush is moved back-and-forth over the decal, even once.

The camera isn't being very kind to these cars (or to their creator), but here's a B-end view of one of the cars upgraded with AB-type brakes...

...and one of the ones with the cars' original split-K brakes...

The four cars not yet on-hand will all be done with the split-K brakes, which are better-suited to my layout's late '30s era.

Very soon (once the paint shop has been warmed-up) all eight of the cars on hand will be heading out there for a clear spray of Testors' Glosscote - the Scalecoat paint seems to be much less durable than I remember it.

I'm hoping that once the cars are decaled and weathered, the sloppy work will be less noticeable, especially once they're on the layout.

Wayne
Sloppy work Icon_question

Where is sloppy work Cool

I don't see sloppy work  Misngth 

Thumbsup

Lutz
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Lutz.  The Gloss-Coted cars actual do look somewhat better than those in the previous photos, although a couple of them need a little more Glosscote (the Scalecoat Matte Black, used on the lower portion of the pre-decorated cars seemed to diminish the gloss....some of it perhaps absorbed into the matte finish.  I'll redo those cars this evening, when electricity rates are lower.

Wayne
Well, it's about time...that I show some progress. 

Here's the five TH&B hoppers that have been updated with AB brake systems.  They'll all need some weathering and all five are too modern for my late '30s layout.  However, since two of them were done prior to that time, another three won't likely upset the applecart...

The 1093 was done (with several mistakes) 18 years ago, so most of those mistakes have been corrected, making this one closer to what it should have looked like in 2002...

It was weathered previously, but will get a little more on the ends, as they're mostly all new construction.

The 1140 was the 1150 yesterday, when I mistakenly lettered it so:  the TH&B originally ordered 100 cars in 1914, numbered 1000 to 1099, but while those were being built, added another 50 cars to the order, 1100 to 1149.  It was easier to remove the "5" and replace it with a "4"....

The 1056 is a partner to 1093, done sorta wrong originally, but now updated somewhat more correctly...

1079 and 1024 were r-t-r cars bought fairly recently (and both numbered 1079).  Both got the same updates, but I scraped-off the numbers from one car, replacing them with decals from Black Cat.  While the decals are nicely-done, I found them to be very thin and difficult to handle.  When viewed on the dry sheet, they're very difficult to distinguish from the light blue backing paper.

I used CNR's 8414 to move the cars past the camera....

...and finally, a look at the B-end of the 1024, showing the top-mounted bracket supporting the brake-operating platform...

I've started lettering the three cars that I have on-hand, still with split K-type brake gear, and am hoping that I remember the procedure for modifying the other four which are waiting for the border to open, before I can get them.  The lettering for all seven differs somewhat from that on the cars with the AB brake gear.   The TH&B didn't get the final car converted to AB brakes until 1950, but some of the cars soldiered on into the '60s in company service.  Two cars were lost in a wreck in 1942, and I'll be using their numbers on two of the four cars outstanding.

Wayne
WOW!  Icon_e_surprised Truly AMAZING work Wayne! Worship Worship The attention to detail is just off the charts on those Applause . Love the engine too! Is that a canvas sunshade on that engine?
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Wayne,

in short terms  Worship Applause Thumbsup

Lutz
Nice work!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I agree with everyone else, you keep the bar high when it comes to details. Applause Applause Applause
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD