CNR Wood Ice Reefer
Photo 
Here is a Tichy Reefer kit I have built as a CNR Wood Ice Reefer.  I know that this one will not be prototypical but I had fun building it.

First, I added all the piping for the brakes. It won't be visible when the car will be on the track but I like to add those wires.  Certainly one of the best job I have done to date.

To mimic the CNR Reefer, I added the Coal Heater and the Liquidometer to the Tichy kit.

The car is now ready for the Paint room.

Attached Files Image(s)

Guy from Southern Quebec.
FYI tichy now has a drill guide for there reefer and usra box car kits , tichy kits make up a good looking car.
Nice job on the brake gear, Guy!   Applause Applause Applause

(08-26-2020, 01:04 PM)CNR5103 Wrote: ....I know that this one will not be prototypical.....

I don't know for sure if you're right about that or not, but the CNR did have lots of wood reefers, so I wouldn't say that it was a real stretch to include the underfloor heater unit, as it was not only better, but also safer than the charcoal heaters which they placed in the ice bunkers, when a particular cargo needed to be protected from the cold.

For the older heaters, there would be a small hinged door in the side of one of the end bunkers, where the heater was placed.  While they apparently worked well enough, they also filled the car with carbon monoxide, which could cause problems when the car reached its destination, and the crews had to enter the cars for unloading.

Wayne
Jim, Tichy used to include a drilling jig for grabirons in all of their older car kits.  I usually keep a few on-hand, as they're useful to keep the spacing uniform, even if the jig isn't meant specifically for all non-Tichy cars.

Wayne
(08-26-2020, 06:02 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Jim, Tichy used to include a drilling jig for grabirons in all of their older car kits.  I usually keep a few on-hand, as they're useful to keep the spacing uniform, even if the jig isn't meant specifically for all non-Tichy cars.

Wayne

didn't know that all the ones i have got didn't include them , but now they offer them  as a separate item. and yes i use them on different manufactures cars.
Jim
Guy, I was, just a few minutes ago, browsing through Ted Culotta's "Steam Era Freight Cars Reference Manual, Volume Three: Refrigerator Cars", and discovered a photo of a CNR wooden reefer with the underslung heater unit and a Liquidometer mounted on the car's side.  The car is not otherwise visibly altered, with only its original four hatches on the roof, not the eight of the newer steel cars, so your model is prototypical.

A couple of pages later, there's a photo of what appears to be one of the eight-hatch cars with overhead ice bunkers, but it's been modified with a new hatch-less roof and an undermounted mechanical refrigeration unit near the trucks at one end of the car, and a fuel tank, similarly-mounted, close to the other truck.
The re-weigh date (and likely the same as it's date of modification to a mechanical reefer) is July, 1952, while the photo was taken in Vancouver, B.C., on June 24th, 1953.

I have a stack of Culotta's books, and they're an invaluable resource of information and of inspiration, too.

Wayne
I'm building my CNR wood reefer using a June 2001 RMC article. It too shows The wood reefer with both the underslung charcoal heater and the liquidometer. According to the article almost all of the wood refers were retro-fitted with the heaters in the early fifties which is why I refitted mine.
I found the article via the black cat decals that I'm using. The decal instructions refer to the RMC article.
I had forgotten about that article, Glen, but Stafford Swain did a lot of very well-researched features on various Canadian-style cars.

The car in Culotta's book would have been part of the Group 14 cars in Swain's feature, as its number appears to be 209387 (it's somewhat in the background of the photo).

Wayne
Thank you guys for the information.

For this project, I used the information found in the book "Canadian National Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment Volume 2" by John Riddle. In fact, this book served for all my CNR car modeling up to now.
The brake details are indeed, nicely done.
I finished the model this morning.   Here are two photos.    

A very nicely done car Worship Applause 

Lutz