DCC USERS
Hi guys.
It’s been awhile that I have been on board here/
Where are all the DCC USERS?
I know there must be some questions and or problems.
Maybe just a what is what question.
I have been doing DCC installs for just about 20 years.
I don’t know it all but there is a good chance I can help.
BTW—— get out and vote!
woodone AKA. Jerry
I've been using DCC for over 10 years. I have it pretty well figured out. 
I asked lots of questions when I first started. 
Charlie
Hi Jerry,

Good to see that you're keeping busy, but also good to see that you stopped by Big Blue. One day I may need to ask a lot of questions, but I'm happy right now just building my layout and worry about running DCC later. The way technology is heading, I can see me basking on the beach in Hawaii and having my really smart phone run my trains as I watch from afar. Only problem with that is getting them back on the track after being derailed. Waiting 

Best that I just stay home for now....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I have been using Prodigy Advance since 2005-6? 

While not great by todays standards, I haven't had any problems with it, it does exactly what I want it to do. I see no need to upgrade to a better system at this time. Prodigy Advance has given me many years of running enjoyment, though I would recommend a different system to others now, there is so much better out there. 

About half my engine fleet is DCC, the other half is still DC, so I have it wired to run the inside track DC and the outside track DCC at this time. I have wired past layouts to run all tracks either DC or DCC by just Flipping four toggle switches, just been to lazy to perform that simple task on this layout as of yet Misngth Icon_redface Icon_e_biggrin  .
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
I will stay with my MRC PA2. I just got 10 voltscooters to replace the light bulbs I have been using for protection and I am awaiting my 8 amp booster that I think will improve the performance. I think 12 to 15 units with sound are overtaxing the original system.  Nope
I only have 4 power districts currently but I need 10 to be honest. 
Charlie
OK Jerry, 
        I just got my 8 amp booster and I want to install it.  From what I have read so far there is nothing that explains how this easy process can be done easily.
The instructions assume I am going to buy a 200 dollar booster for every power district and that just isn't going to happen.  Icon_e_biggrin 

It comes with on flat cable that I assume goes between the booster and the command station. Does this run in series with the extensions for the wired throttles? How would one wire this booster and the original 2.5 amp supply to run through the individual power districts. I am hoping you will save me a lot of figuring out. You would think something this simple would be easy to find on the internet, but maybe it is just too simple. 

Cheers
Charlie
(11-05-2020, 10:55 AM)Charlie B Wrote: OK Jerry, 
        I just got my 8 amp booster and I want to install it.  From what I have read so far there is nothing that explains how this easy process can be done easily.
The instructions assume I am going to buy a 200 dollar booster for every power district and that just isn't going to happen.  Icon_e_biggrin 

It comes with on flat cable that I assume goes between the booster and the command station. Does this run in series with the extensions for the wired throttles? How would one wire this booster and the original 2.5 amp supply to run through the individual power districts. I am hoping you will save me a lot of figuring out. You would think something this simple would be easy to find on the internet, but maybe it is just too simple. 

Cheers
Charlie
Hi Charlie,
Seeing I have not be active while you were getting going, can you give me a little back ground on your system?
Like who’s system are you using?
Do you have more than one throttle your using?
[My system is a Prodigy PA2 , I have 2 wireless throttles and 4 wired. I have 5 receptacles with 2 jacks each for throttles and a wireless dongle antenna in the center of the room. I also use the wifi adapter and any smart phone will work if the app is installed. The extension jacks have the booster on them (supplied by MRC)  I have currently 4 power districts protected with 1076 light bulbs but I bought 10 Voltscooters because I want to break the three separate yards into their own districts, and I also need 2 more for the main lines. Having a few spares isn't a problem.  I have figured I will run one district from the original 2.5 amp unit and pull the rest from the booster. I am just not 100 percent sure how to add the command bus to the track in the other districts. I am thinking it piggyback with the command bus coming out of the 2.5 amp command station. 

I just don't wan't to let the smoke out of the unit.  Icon_e_biggrin

Charlie
(11-10-2020, 04:34 PM)Charlie B Wrote: [My system is a Prodigy PA2 , I have 2 wireless throttles and 4 wired. I have 5 receptacles with 2 jacks each for throttles and a wireless dongle antenna in the center of the room. I also use the wifi adapter and any smart phone will work if the app is installed. The extension jacks have the booster on them (supplied by MRC)  I have currently 4 power districts protected with 1076 light bulbs but I bought 10 Voltscooters because I want to break the three separate yards into their own districts, and I also need 2 more for the main lines. Having a few spares isn't a problem.  I have figured I will run one district from the original 2.5 amp unit and pull the rest from the booster. I am just not 100 percent sure how to add the command bus to the track in the other districts. I am thinking it piggyback with the command bus coming out of the 2.5 amp command station. 

I just don't wan't to let the smoke out of the unit.  Icon_e_biggrin

Charlie
OK , Charlie-
You are not going to like me, or maybe you will love what I have to offer.
You dazy chain your command station to your boosters. Your boosters need to go to the districts you want to protect.
Each booster needs its own power supply! You need to have some sort of power protection for each district. 
I would recommend using PSA from DCC Specialties, these take power to your track in a district.
These have a adj. setting for a break point. 
What you are trying to do is keep a derailment or some other short problem from shutting down your whole layout.
You have to separate your districts via gaps in the rails.
Hope that helps 
By the way- it’s not the smoke getting away that causes trouble-it is when the smoke does not let the mirrors reflect.
Jerry
When I go into the layout room it's the 1960's and there are no computers/cell phones/DCC/smart anythings and I plan on keeping it that way! Big Grin
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(11-11-2020, 06:21 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: When I go into the layout room it's the 1960's and there are no computers/cell phones/DCC/smart anythings and I plan on keeping it that way!  Big Grin

That is why the hobby is so good, everyone has his own preferences. I like running long trains with multiple locomotives. I find it nice to be able to call up the locomotive number and pull it out of the yard to add to a consist to pull a 40 car train. I model the 50's but I am not hard and fast there, If I like a locomotive built in the 60's I will run it.  My friend that passed last year even brought some Conrail locomotives from the 80's to run.  

I have a double track main with a long passing siding on each one so If I have a couple guys here we can easily run 4 trains on the main and another could switch the city area and it's team tracks.  

It's all about having a good time. 

Cheers
Charlie
Mike, not sure has what this adds to Charlie’s question?
He is using DCC  so the booster question is a valid one.
I understand the use of DC, I  hope that you have gotten away from using batteries for power.  Icon_e_smile Icon_e_smileU
[/quote]
OK , Charlie-
You are not going to like me, or maybe you will love what I have to offer.
You dazy chain your command station to your boosters. Your boosters need to go to the districts you want to protect.
Each booster needs its own power supply! You need to have some sort of power protection for each district. 
I would recommend using PSA from DCC Specialties, these take power to your track in a district.
These have a adj. setting for a break point. 
What you are trying to do is keep a derailment or some other short problem from shutting down your whole layout.
You have to separate your districts via gaps in the rails.
Hope that helps 
By the way- it’s not the smoke getting away that causes trouble-it is when the smoke does not let the mirrors reflect.
Jerry
[/quote]

Hi Jerry
thanks for the reply. Daisy chain on the command bus was what I wasn't sure of. I will be using automatic resettable and adjustable Voltscooters for district protection. Some of the guys in the MRC group are using them and at $34.95 for a package of 5 blocks. it is more cost effective than the PCA from DCC,  I will set the original for one district and the 8 amp will supply power to the rest with their own protection. 

Charlie
"I  hope that you have gotten away from using batteries for power."

If batteries were good enough for my great, great grandpa then by golly they are good enough for me!
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol 
I wasn't implying that his question wasn't valid and have no problem with people using modern tech on their layouts, just stating my preference is all. Didn't mean to offend anyone.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Do not use any electronic device which is annoying you:

[Image: dsc00969a1iug.jpg]
This MFB* was a decoder killer in it's original form. Curse

[Image: dsc00971oai9q.jpg]
Removing the superfluous "secret" elements will also remove the hassle and turn the MFB* into a useable MB**.

Lutz

* NO, i won't translate ist or even spell it out; because this is a family friendly forum.
** = motherboard