CNR Wood Caboose
Starting a new project.  A Sylvan Scale Models kit of a CNR Wood Caboose.

Guy from Southern Quebec.
After cleaning the parts, removing the flash and filing the parts so they fit well together, one of the most important step is to make sure that the body will be square.

Not a bad start.

Just make sure, when you get to the step for installing the roof, that it's facing in the proper direction, with the cupola over the area of the sides with no windows.

Wayne
(12-12-2020, 07:01 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Just make sure, when you get to the step for installing the roof, that it's facing in the proper direction, with the cupola over the area of the sides with no windows.

Wayne

Hey, Guy, your save on that earlier one was done beautifully.

Wayne
Those Sylvan models are really nicely done---looking forward to seeing your completed caboose Guy.
For those who want to understand the previous posts, here is a summary of the story.

On my first attempt to build a similar kit, I unintentionally put the open end of the roof at the wrong end of the body.

I had to fix the roof and move the smokestack base.

And decided to build it as a CNR Transfer Caboose.

Many thanks to Wayne who helped me in this first projet with a resin kit.
I have made some progress.

After building five of those Sylvan Scale CNR Wood Caboose kits following the instructions, I have decided to make some improvements on this one.

First, I added the cupola corner braces that come as an option. (Green rectangle)

I also added vertical grabirons on the ends (Blue circle) and roofwalk supports (Red circle).  Those are small wires.  On previous builds, I omitted them partly because they were not mentioned in the instructions but principally because I didn't feel comfortable with such small pieces.

Finally, I added new roofwalk supports (Yellow circle).  On the original kit, those supports are molded in the roof panels. As they are not uniformly molded, this can lead to a warped roofwalk. They are also too low so the gap between the roofwalk and the roof is nonexistent in some places. 

Those are small improvements that will yield, I hope, a nicer model.  So far so good.
The added details do make a nice difference, Guy.   Applause Applause Applause

Wayne
Nice work Guy, the secret of art is in the details.
Thanks for sharing!
Serge
2,5 hours for this.

Who said "Practice makes perfect"?  Waiting
Underframe almost done.

Nice work on the brake rigging and the work on the resin car. I know that the sylvan kits aren't the easiest to build but you've done very well on yours.
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Customizing kits is tedious, but the rewards are great!!!! Nice work!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???