The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
39 and sunny.  Out the door to the farms.  Menards packages and USPS is a mess.  I'll figure it out when they come.  Got more packages suppose to come than items ordered. 

Have a good one.
TCA 05-58541   American Legion  NRA  Retired Mayor of Rolesville NC
Good morning folks

It is a brisk 32 going up to 43.

Carried most of the Christmas decoration bins up to the attic and organized them. Still have a couple to go that have to wait for some other items to be brought up before they can go in place. We gave the dog a quick bath yesterday. We need to find a groomer that will take a blind dog. So far we have been unsuccessful.

I weathered the two RF&P Atlas Trainman grain hoppers and the Reading Athearn Heavy Duty Flat Car. I did a test of the Krylon Flat Sealer on the Proto 2000 CNJ caboose and a couple of Accurail cars I got off eBay for a few bucks. It seemed to work fine. I will try it on the Proto 1000 100-ton hoppers I weathered the other day. Next up for weathering is the Intermountain grain hoppers.

I got an email from my online dealer about the PRR DD-1 I reserved. I was excited as I knew the locos had arrived at the manufacturers from the factory. I am thinking this is the invoice for it. I opened the email and found a copy of a letter the owner sent to the dealers. There were fingerprints and other marks in the paint on the bodies. The bodies have to be remade. I have been waiting for this loco for three and a half years. Now looks like at least another six months.

I am supposed to have a package delivered today. That leaves two packages still out there from December. Both are in Philadelphia. I ordered a couple of more things in the last week so we will see how long they take.

I found a source for some Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines decals. They are for RDC’s, Cabooses, and Passenger Cars. I think they should work on the undecorated Athearn blue box GP-38-2 I have. I am looking to get a second one soon. PRSL had GP-38’s without dynamic brakes so I need to find non-dynamic brake hoods to replace the hoods on the loco I have. I need to investigate what the difference in appearance between a GP-38 and a GP-38-2 is and whether or not I need to make any adjustments.

I have to run off to the grocery store in a few minutes.

I hope everybody has a good day.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
I guess I'm following the format right, its 38 and sunny in southern New Jersey.

Covid scheduling gives me Wednesday at the cost of Sunday (but i get the lab to myself on sunday) so it works out.

Been somewhat stalled on my modeling,   but I did recently scoop up a bunch of 50' Berwick boxcars since it was apparently one of the only style of "IPD" era boxcar i didnt have.  Most of them were Atlas (a Ma & Pa and a couple railboxes),  but I wanted a few more NRUC boxcars in my train,  so I scooped up a branchline kit, apparently the predecessor of Atlas's current model.

I think this is the first kit-car I've built in a while.

I've been stalling on a new layout design though.  I'm still committed to my tag-line below, but its been getting harder and harder to balance the track plan.  It technically fits, but I suspect it is way too deep in many places.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Hi guys & gals.
First post here.
Not much to add about the weather here in Phoenix has Don has given you a blow by blow , and we both live in the same area.
I got a bunch on my to do list-
Putting back together a United 2-6-6-2 that I painted- WOW sure glad I took pictures- this has more parts and pieces than a fine watch and some parts just has small.
That will keep me busy for the rest of the day.
(01-13-2021, 08:35 AM)tompm Wrote: I got an email from my online dealer about the PRR DD-1 I reserved. I was excited as I knew the locos had arrived at the manufacturers from the factory. I am thinking this is the invoice for it. I opened the email and found a copy of a letter the owner sent to the dealers. There were fingerprints and other marks in the paint on the bodies. The bodies have to be remade. I have been waiting for this loco for three and a half years. Now looks like at least another six months.

Are those the new GHB models?  Thats awful!  I was tempted to order one, but just couldn't justify it. 

Quote:I found a source for some Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines decals. They are for RDC’s, Cabooses, and Passenger Cars. I think they should work on the undecorated Athearn blue box GP-38-2 I have. I am looking to get a second one soon. PRSL had GP-38’s without dynamic brakes so I need to find non-dynamic brake hoods to replace the hoods on the loco I have. I need to investigate what the difference in appearance between a GP-38 and a GP-38-2 is and whether or not I need to make any adjustments.

There are fairly significant (in my opinion) differences between a GP38 and a GP38-2, particularly the Blue Blox GP38-2.   An Atlas GP38 would make a better base model. 

GP38s had a larger radiator screen with 2 sections, and the radiator fans themselves were spaced apart conspicuously farther than on a GP38-2, which has a shorter single-section radiator screen. The Athearn blue-box GP38-2 also has the "late phase" corrugated radiator screens,  which would not be present on a GP38.  The "dust bin" for the air filter hatch is also the older style on the GP38.  Then there is of course, the -2 style  sight glass that would only be present on a GP38-2. 

Here I have a Genesis ex-PC GP38-2 compared to my own ex-PRSL GP38 (managed to get a PRSL cab 3d printed before they discontinued it for some reason).  I think the profile is different enough to justify hunting an older Atlas GP38.  I have spare non-dynamic hatches for those if you need one, but if you find an undec Atlas GP38, it will come with one.

hi all . seems that USPS must be giving westerners priority in packages ordered from tichy  late on the 4th package was shipped on the 5th and got package on the the 8th , haven't done much on layout because concrete floor in garage  is cold hurts my feet to stand on it so I've been working on piledriver with a lot of emgering .
Jim
Greetings, gang.

35 this evening in eastern Iowa. Sleet/snow scheduled for tomorrow and Friday.

Running on fumes this evening. Got both garages cleaned out and the apartment is almost done. Tomorrow and Friday will be spent packing and staging. Saturday everyone shows up and we load it all. If all goes well I should be home Saturday evening or Sunday. Thanks again everyone for your support. This will probably be my last post until I'm back home.

All stay safe.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
(01-13-2021, 09:45 AM)Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 08:35 AM)tompm Wrote: I got an email from my online dealer about the PRR DD-1 I reserved. I was excited as I knew the locos had arrived at the manufacturers from the factory. I am thinking this is the invoice for it. I opened the email and found a copy of a letter the owner sent to the dealers. There were fingerprints and other marks in the paint on the bodies. The bodies have to be remade. I have been waiting for this loco for three and a half years. Now looks like at least another six months.

Are those the new GHB models?  Thats awful!  I was tempted to order one, but just couldn't justify it. 

Yes it is the GHB models. At first I was not going to get one. Then again it is PRR and an electric motor. I will figure out some way to justify it being on the layout. Whenever we go to the RR Museum of PA the DD-1 is one of the locos that always draws me in.

I recently reserved a Rapido Penn Central EP-5. Not a hundred percent sure why other than it is an electric motor. I would love to find an E44. They maybe ugly to some folks but they are PRR and electric. You see I may have a problem with electric motors.

(01-13-2021, 09:45 AM)Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 08:35 AM)tompm Wrote: I found a source for some Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines decals. They are for RDC’s, Cabooses, and Passenger Cars. I think they should work on the undecorated Athearn blue box GP-38-2 I have. I am looking to get a second one soon. PRSL had GP-38’s without dynamic brakes so I need to find non-dynamic brake hoods to replace the hoods on the loco I have. I need to investigate what the difference in appearance between a GP-38 and a GP-38-2 is and whether or not I need to make any adjustments.

There are fairly significant (in my opinion) differences between a GP38 and a GP38-2, particularly the Blue Blox GP38-2.   An Atlas GP38 would make a better base model. 

GP38s had a larger radiator screen with 2 sections, and the radiator fans themselves were spaced apart conspicuously farther than on a GP38-2, which has a shorter single-section radiator screen. The Athearn blue-box GP38-2 also has the "late phase" corrugated radiator screens,  which would not be present on a GP38.  The "dust bin" for the air filter hatch is also the older style on the GP38.  Then there is of course, the -2 style  sight glass that would only be present on a GP38-2. 

Here I have a Genesis ex-PC GP38-2 compared to my own ex-PRSL GP38 (managed to get a PRSL cab 3d printed before they discontinued it for some reason).  I think the profile is different enough to justify hunting an older Atlas GP38.  I have spare non-dynamic hatches for those if you need one, but if you find an undec Atlas GP38, it will come with one.

Thanks for the information on the differences between the GP38 and GP38-2. I was going to ask if anyone knew. I have been searching for the Atlas GP-38 for sometime and have found them to be rarer than hen's teeth. I am even willing to buy one and strip it and repaint if I can't find an undecorated one. I did find a custom Penn Central GP-38 with a bad decal job, that I may eventually use. However, it is much older than I was lead to believe. It only has one power truck and was made in Yugoslavia. It came in an Athearn box. Apparently the original box was lost. I paid only $40 for it so I can't complain. I will figure out something to do with it. After some wheel cleaning I got it running nicely. It still needs to be tuned and perhaps overhauled.

Getting back to the GP-38's I will keep looking. If I can't find them and run out of patient I will just use the GP-38-2. It will mean in my little slice of the model railroad world the PRSL got GP-38-2's instead of GP-38's.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Its 35 right now in Philadelphia, I've actually been at work since 6 AM, with a super fun high tech experiment.

We are going to be performing a process called "Single Cell Sequencing". Essentially, we will be individually sequencing the "RNA Transcriptome" of a few thousand cancer cells being treated by a chemotherapeutic drug we're researching. If your DNA is your Genome, the "RNA Transcriptome" is what a cell is doing with that DNA. Previously, we tried regular bulk RNA sequencing, but the event we were looking for appears to be timed based on the cell cycle, and trying to get a culture of cancer cells to synchronize is like trying to get 2 million cats to all sit still at the same time.

We know that the treatment works, and clinical trials against other cancer types have shown that there are far fewer side effects with the drug, but its not actually clear what the mechanism of action is, and no one has been able to figure it out yet. This is important so that we don't have to find out the old-fashioned way which patients won't respond well to it (by giving it to them and getting a bad reaction).

Because of the timing involved, the experiment needed to be started much earlier in the morning in order for there to be enough time to get it started and prepped.

Its a pain, and its expensive, but if it works, we'll be on our way to understanding this drug and helping it move forward through future approval processes.
(01-14-2021, 01:27 AM)tompm Wrote: Yes it is the GHB models. At first I was not going to get one. Then again it is PRR and an electric motor. I will figure out some way to justify it being on the layout. Whenever we go to the RR Museum of PA the DD-1 is one of the locos that always draws me in.

I recently reserved a Rapido Penn Central EP-5. Not a hundred percent sure why other than it is an electric motor. I would love to find an E44. They maybe ugly to some folks but they are PRR and electric. You see I may have a problem with electric motors.

I've got three EP5s on pre-order.  #370 (the PRR tested it in on some trains), #375, and PC 4977.   I'm going to be rebuilding and re-lettering 4977 to its freight configuration, since this one technically lasted on Conrail until 1977.  Its 2 years short of my modelling era, but how could I not?

I wish they would make an E44 in plastic, it is also one of my favorites.  You can get a 3D printed E44 on shapeways, its more or less a kit based on the Alpha E44A brass models,  but you need an E33 for the frame.  It looks like the person who developed it intended to be able to do some of the side variations (the E44s were subtly rebuild during their lives, in addition to the conversions from ignitrons to solid state rectifiers), but to my knowledge, only the E44A sides are available.    

I've got 4 E44As, but I'm specifically modelling the electrified lines, not just collecting.  They are pretty difficult to come by, and eBay gets... competitive. 

Quote:Thanks for the information on the differences between the GP38 and GP38-2. I was going to ask if anyone knew. I have been searching for the Atlas GP-38 for sometime and have found them to be rarer than hen's teeth. I am even willing to buy one and strip it and repaint if I can't find an undecorated one. I did find a custom Penn Central GP-38 with a bad decal job, that I may eventually use. However, it is much older than I was lead to believe. It only has one power truck and was made in Yugoslavia. It came in an Athearn box. Apparently the original box was lost. I paid only $40 for it so I can't complain. I will figure out something to do with it. After some wheel cleaning I got it running nicely. It still needs to be tuned and perhaps overhauled.

Getting back to the GP-38's I will keep looking. If I can't find them and run out of patient I will just use the GP-38-2. It will mean in my little slice of the model railroad world the PRSL got GP-38-2's instead of GP-38's.

They have been pretty scarce.  I was able to snag a few, and I have other spare parts for them.  I found a late phase Atlas GP38 undec with sound from  reputable online store.   I don't know if it has the right parts,  but I can spare nearly a whole GP38 shell that does match in a trade, or at the very least, provide you with the appropriate non-dynamic hood.  

I will PM it.
Good morning folks

It is 36 in the wilds of Upper Darby. I don’t know how it feels yet since I haven’t stuck my nose outside. I will be doing so in a bit when I take the recyclables to the garage. High is purported to be 47.

My son s moving along with assembling building kits. Thus far he has mostly finished the Walters Train Line City Apartment Building and the Walthers Jewelry Store. I will have to do the fine details such as the mortar. He currently attempting the DPM Front Street Building and not making too much progress. In the meantime, he took an older structure off the layout, the Belvedere Hotel and has been upgrading it by painting windowsills, and other details. Again, I will have to do the mortar.

According to our Facebook local community group my township is the wild, wild west. The group is being dominated by the “Did you hear the gunshots/explosions” post. Which is then followed by the “It’s fireworks, you idiot”, reply. Fun times.

I sealed the RF&P grain hoppers, Reading heavy duty flat car, and the CNJ caboose. I weathered the four pink Intermountain grain hoppers. I pulled out the next group of cars to be weathered and hopefully seal them today along with the pink hoppers. The next set is two Red Caboose tank cars and two Bowser PRR livestock cars. After that it is four Bachmann poultry transport cars and four more cabooses. Then I begin working on the layout redo as top priority.

I hope everybody has a good day.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Good morning. Boiled eggs and coffee. Cloudy but not raining. Suppose to have sun and warmer today than yesterday.

Wow, glad to see new faces on the campfire.  Great photos.  

A couple of short errands. Train Box work installing Menards transformers to already pre-lit buildings.  Using their LED strips to light some old buildings.

Checked all feeders at the farms.  All OK.  Some of the woods is flooded.  

[Image: enhance]

Fred at hunting camp squirrel hunting. During deer season, lots of squirrels and hardly no deer at his stand/feeder. Guess what? Only a squirrel or two. Several deer. 

Later
(01-14-2021, 06:45 AM)Green_Elite_Cab Wrote: Its 35 right now in Philadelphia, I've actually been at work since 6 AM, with a super fun high tech experiment.

We are going to be performing a process called "Single Cell Sequencing".   Essentially,  we will be individually sequencing the "RNA Transcriptome" of a few thousand cancer cells being treated by a chemotherapeutic drug we're researching.   If your DNA is your Genome, the "RNA Transcriptome" is what a cell is doing with that DNA.   Previously,  we tried regular bulk RNA sequencing, but the event we were looking for appears to be timed based on the cell cycle, and trying to get a culture of cancer cells to synchronize is like trying to get 2 million cats to all sit still at the same time.  

We know that the treatment works, and clinical trials against other cancer types have shown that there are far fewer side effects with the drug, but its not actually clear what the mechanism of action is,  and no one has been able to figure it out yet.  This is important so that we don't have to find out the old-fashioned way which patients won't respond well to it (by giving it to them and getting a bad reaction).  

Because of the timing involved, the experiment needed to be started much earlier in the morning in order for there to be enough time to get it started and prepped.

Its a pain, and its expensive, but if it works, we'll be on our way to understanding this drug and helping it move forward through future approval processes.
WOW GEC, what a great post to read. Thanks for posting it. I appreciate any effort to cure cancer. You are my hero. 
Charlie
Good morning all, Frank, remember the Loony Toon cartoon with Daffy and Bugs, "It's duck season", "no it's rabbit season", complete with signs? Wonder of the squirrels and deer know how to read?

Gas prices jumped another 10 cents yesterday, that's 20 cents in a week, up to $2.47 at most stations, even more at brand name ones, I see $2.59 at one station about three miles away. I guess they can use anything as an excuse why.

Remember, tonight is our Skype chat, 7:00 PM eastern time. The link is here

I checked to see if I could get an earlier appointment for my virus shot, I can't find any appointments available through February. From what I saw, they are taking about 10 appointments every five minutes 24/7 at the stadium. I was going to go down there without an appointment, I'm not sure that's the best idea. My DIL is a teacher, she's scheduled for tomorrow, my son is at the bottom of the list and thinks he might get his around early spring.

Have a great day and stay safe.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Morning.  49 and sunny.  Suppose to cloud up and rain [as usual].  Nothing great on agenda.

Vaccinations in NC.  A zoo.  Gov. dropped the age limit to 65 and above.  Problem, no one doing it in Wake Co.  75 and above only.  Why? State holding doses. Some counties doing fairly well.  Wake Co. can't get doses until 16th.  Then only 20K.  We have over 1 million in population in Wake Co. WakeMed the biggie hospital here is suppose to be the vaccination site suddenly [Gov dropped that on us as County ready to do for free] can't get the doses.  I can register in another county and get one.  Not going to do.  My CVS lady said she had been notified she has some being shipped.  When they come in, she will text me.  

Hope all are well and stay safe.