The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
Good morning.
         Cloudy here. I had to adjust the mower deck on my lawn tractor yesterday, some how it was 1 1/2 inch lower on one side and really made a mess cutting. It was a one bolt adjustment once I got room in the shop to put it on a level floor. Then I mowed the front 3/4 of an acre. I will do the back yard today. 

I got the doors and fenders hung on the motor home. The fenders were a breeze thanks to the 1/2 in battery impact wrench. Everything lined up just right. It took less than an hour total labor for both fenders. The doors were easy to hang and adjust but they needed new window channel weather strips and the last time I did one was 1974 so it was a relearning experience. It took me over 2 hours for the drivers door, and the passenger side took 10 minutes. I had to change the door locks to match the key. Another easy job once I remembered how to do it. It is amazing how much you forget in 40 years.  I did however do a lot of paint work on 12"= 1' scale locomotives so I don't think I will have much trouble doing the paint work. 

Gas here was 3.89 but diesel is still way overpriced. The truckers pay at the pump and we pay at the grocery store. 

Other than the little bit of mowing I plan on an easy day.  My friend (Railcop) and I are going to go to Schenley, Pa. on Wednesday to see what has become of the Kiski Junction RR. The line from Bagdad to Schenley was removed a couple weeks ago. They are going to bring a rail train in to lift the 10 miles that went to the mine at Logansport. The line will then be a trail. The paper says the trail will bring 3.5 million into the local economy every year. If you believe that I have a bridge I will sell you for half that price. 

I have been watching the radar map over Arizona and it does look like you are getting a little rain Don. I hope a lot of that goes to the north and feeds Lake Mead. 

Cheery week ahead for all. 
         Charlie
Good morning Blue
Sun and 80s for today, sunset will be at 8:55, we have lost 20 minutes of summer daylight already.
Spent yesterday afternoon with some of my wife's family. The usual outdoor fixins.
Lowest gas price we saw as we traveled through a couple of summer tourist towns was $4.08.
Got home about 8, watched rerun TV, took a PM Tylenol, and went to bed at 11.
No train news.
S.J.
TCA.....Detroit3Railers.....Glancy modular layout(Detroit historical Society)
One of the comic strips today had a weatherman predicting temps in the "high 100s". A number of comments about that followed.

We're experiencing ants on the front stoop. SWMBO is wary of a lot of products because we have birds and other beasties walking along there. I put out 3 of those tin things (peanut butter and borax) this afternoon. One is still in place; one has moved under a bush and the other has disappeared.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Good morning everyone, Happy Monday to ya all... Not sure what this week is like, only one appointment. Might try to go shooting while it's still a bit cool out, just hoping things have dried out where we shoot. If not, it may be September before we can go out again.

David, was watching something yesterday on soldier ants, really nasty creatures. Plain old black ants can be pesky and can find ways into the house that you never though of. Good luck.

Gas prices are all over the map here. Looking at a Gas Buddy map, regular prices range from just under $4.00 to one Shell station in Scottsdale that wants $5.59. Our local Costco is at $4.25. Diesel is running a little bit higher than regular right now, but not as much difference as a few weeks ago.

Have a great day, be careful but enjoy it....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Good morning folks

It is 68 with occasional showers. High is supposed to be 85.

I built the new bed frame. I have to say the mattress feels firmer and more comfortable without the old box spring.We did a little weeding of the front gardens and I had to do a heavy cleaning of the fountain pump. On Sunday we ran to Delaware to get gas. With my grocery store points I paid $3.91. We also ran to the PetSmart and Michael's.

I was planning to finishing tuning up the Tropicana reefers but before I did I decided to run the locomotives I planned to use. One of the locos kept stalling. I made sure the track was clean but since the other loco ran fine I had suspicions something else was wrong. I turned the loco over and found the bottom of the trucks soaked with lubricant. I took the shell off and found lubricant everywhere. I then removed the rea trucks and took apart the truck. The gears, axles, and case are soaked in oil. I tried my best to clean and dry everything. I was going to reassemble everything when I discovered I could not find my tube of grease. I thought I bought some when I bought the gear lubricant. That is what lead to the trip to Michael's. Since they did not have any and I could not find any online with a reasonable delivery time I will stop at my least favorite hobby shop on the way home from work. I am looking for suggestions on what to do with cleaning and lubricating the loco.

I hope everybody has a good day.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
(08-01-2022, 08:38 AM)tompm Wrote: I was planning to finishing tuning up the Tropicana reefers but before I did I decided to run the locomotives I planned to use. One of the locos kept stalling. I made sure the track was clean but since the other loco ran fine I had suspicions something else was wrong. I turned the loco over and found the bottom of the trucks soaked with lubricant. I took the shell off and found lubricant everywhere. I then removed the rea trucks and took apart the truck. The gears, axles, and case are soaked in oil. I tried my best to clean and dry everything. I was going to reassemble everything when I discovered I could not find my tube of grease. I thought I bought some when I bought the gear lubricant. That is what lead to the trip to Michael's. Since they did not have any and I could not find any online with a reasonable delivery time I will stop at my least favorite hobby shop on the way home from work. I am looking for suggestions on what to do with cleaning and lubricating the loco.

tom I use 90% alcohol to clean up oil or grease as long as there is no painted surface involved, my favorite loco lube can be found at most auto parts Stores it's called silver goop a mix of collided silver and synthetic oil, i thin it down with 96% alcohol, alcohol evaporates and leaves a slick film of lube in parts, not cheap but I've been using the same tube for 40 years.
Jim
Greetings, gang.

Clear and comfortable at the moment but that will change a the day progress. 71 now with a predicted high in the upper 90s with a heat index of around 105.

I survived my sister-in-law's visit but she will be back next week. Maybe a grocery run in a little while but first a walk and breakfast. Not much else planned for today.

All stay safe.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Good morning fine people of Big Blue, temps back to normal, just over 100 for a while, I finally found someplace that shows the expected dew point, anything over 55° shows a chance for rain, we're at 65° today. Humidity is also high, 56%. It's only a dry heat when the temps are in the 110 range.....

Nothing going on today, not sure what I'll do, I keep thinking of ideas for those interchanges between the two layout tables and I guess I just have to go try something. Who know, maybe something on YouTube. From what I understand, there is 500 hours of video uploaded there every minute of every day, gotta be something I can use.

Running late this morning, so I'll just wish everyone a pleasant day and be off to breakfast for now... Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Good morning folks

It is a pleasant 81 with low humidity and a cool breeze. High is predicted to be 91.

I was trash night last night so I had to get all the trash out to the cans and around to the front curb. My daughter helped me drag the old box spring to the curb. While cleaning the Guiena pig cage discovered that we did not have enough bedding which meant I had to make a quick trip to PetSmart.

I did work on the stalling locomotive. I reassembled the rear truck, lubricated what needed to be lubricated, and reattached it. I also took apart the front truck, cleaned it, put it back together, lubed it, and reattached it. The loco seems to run significantly better. I now need to change the couplers from Mchenry to Kadee and reassemble it. Next I will do the other loco.

My trip to the local hobby shop was far more successful than I anticipated. I picked up the lubricant I needed and found a box of Red Caboose Tropicana reefers. I have seen these on eBay for $100 plus. The shop had them for much less. I grabbed four and intent to stop back on payday and hopefully grab what is left.

I have my first physical therapy this afternoon.

Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Greetings, gang.

It's miserable outside my window this morning. 80 degrees with 77% humidity, High for today is supposed to be around 90 with a 20% chance of some rain.

Got my shopping done yesterday. and that's about it. I did work on building a footstool for my Xbox desk. Never could find anything commercially. When I use the controller I lean back but when I use the wheel I need to be able to get to the pedals so the footstool has to be tall enough to clear the pedals. Should finish that project today. Only other major item on the agenda is a trip to the gym.

Gas price yesterday when I was out and about was $3.56

All stay safe.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Good morning all, going to be another steamy day today. Temps up, yesterday was 107, humidity and dew points are so high I'm surprised that they can measure them... Icon_rolleyes  Friends are traveling back east to get away from the Arizona heat. They tell me that so far the weather has been so hot and humid that the Arizona heat would be a piece of cake in comparison.

We just got through the primaries here yesterday, I hope the constant phone calls, surveys, "vote for me", "don't vote for him", just constant since I've got a landline. Then there's the posters on every street corner, I think they have two weeks to take them down, but then there are the November elections, so they'll go back up anyway. Everyone has heard of former Sheriff Joe Arpio, toughest sheriff in the country, lost his election years ago, ran for congress and lost, ran for sheriff again and lost, and now I see he was running for mayor in Fountain Hills, and is loosing that election. Give him credit, he doesn't know when to quit, give the people credit, they know when it's time for Joe to retire.

Talked to my friend that keeps on backing out of shooting dates, looks like I'm going to have to wait until September, getting hot again and I'm scheduled for surgery next week which will put me out of action for a few few weeks after that.

Take care, have a great day, stay safe and stay cool...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Hello Blue
No real news.
Yesterday's primary turned out pretty much as expected.
Only problem I see is our current dictator's opponent may not be strong enough to kick her out of office.
Storms this afternoon, maybe, with a high of 94. Us Yankees don't like the 90s.
S.J.
Storms came. Downpours of rain. Temp dropped from 94 to 72. Some power outages as usual.
Good morning everyone, looks like we had some rain already and I hear the rumble of another storm. So far not enough to show on the rain map, but from what I'm hearing, that should change soon.

Looks like gas is dropping some more, Costco @ $4.15, a lot of stations at $4.45, got a few stations that are really proud of their gas, one is holding fast at $5.25, but then I even see a few well under $4.00

Not much else to talk about right now, no shooting planned until September now, so I got a build project planned for my post-surgery rest time. That'll be a scratchbuilt log cabin, meaning I'm going to have to find a place on my layout. I could put it as part of my downtown historic district or make a wooded area somewhere. I don't really have too much green areas, lots of structures though.... Icon_e_biggrin

Rain, thunder and lighting outside, nice.

Have a great day, stay safe and prayers for those in need.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Good morning folks

It is a toasty 81 heading up to a scorching 95 with high humidity. Luckily not much going on the project today so I can sneak into the air conditioned trailer when I need to get out of the sun.

Did not do much last evening. I had to water the plants and spray the weeds. I have therapy this afternoon. When I get home I have a few chores to do and get the trash out to the curb.

I did not get a chance to work on the locomotives other than remove the shell from the second loco. It too is soaked in oil. I need to get some non-conductive tape to finish the the first loco. I need to place it so the headlight does not short out against the contact from the front truck. Tape was installed by the manufacturer but it was so saturated with oil it would no longer stick. I tried to dry it out but after a week it is still soaked.

Tom
My Rail Images Gallery