Metal Tank cars by Mantua Athearn Globe, Silvine, Thomas and other
Well, I typed in the thread title, now I got to put some info in it. 

Annnnn I'LL start with an Athearn about 40 ' tank car. Roller Bearings of the old Athearn Metal Line..
frank

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
Another old Metal tank car from the 50's to 60's.  The Globe 2 dome tank car. UTLX 8751
frank    
Here is the Three dome version of the GLOBE all-metal tank car. SHPX 312
frank

Here is an Athearn all-metal car from the 1950s and possibly earlier. Athearn printed lettering colors and embossed rivet detail on a paper overlay for the upper part of the tank car.  Mobilgas SVX 918
frank

Interesting stuff, Frank.

I wasn't even aware that Globe had made freight cars, and in metal, too! 

As a child, I had an A-B-B-A set of Globe F7 diesels with my first HO scale trains, painted and decaled by my father in the Santa Fe "war-bonnet" scheme.  Only one of the B-units was powered, that with a single Lindsey truck which included the motor.  As long as the brass wheels (and the brass track) were clean, it ran reasonably well.  Athearn later picked up the dies for those diesels, and made thousands of them.

I later repainted them as CPR diesels, as I had often seen the real ones when I was younger, when we lived within view of the TH&B tracks (the CPR was part-owner, along with the NYC, of the TH&B and locos from all three roads could be seen regularly).

Some years later, I stripped-off all of the paint and redid them for my freelanced Elora Gorge & Eastern...

They were sold many years ago.

Wayne
Here is a Mantua all-metal tank car with an Embossed paper outer covering.  Valvoline VDWX 836.
frank

(01-12-2021, 07:40 PM)toptrain Wrote: Varney made a whole lot of nice tank cars. Anyone want to see some.
frank

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing them, Frank

This is a Varney tank car from the '50s with some upgraded details.  The car is plastic...

...while this one is also a Varney tank, shortened a little bit on both ends, and placed on a Tichy underframe...

Wayne
I absolutely love seeing this old stuff. Thanks for sharing.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
this is a Athearn from the 50's  still has original trucks ,  been sitting in junk box for years also have a warren tank car that i cant find now .

Attached Files Image(s)

found warren i think need to dig it out
Jim, You should have started a new thread of the metal Varney reefers. Or one for plastic Varney tank cars. I sure other people here have them, I have some. I don't remember Varney making metal tank cars. I know of boxcars and flatcars. Not sure about gondolas in metal. Mantua and Roundhouse made metal gondolas. This thread is for the metal tank cars. Mantua and Thomas made Warren tank cars. I don't have either one. Silver streak made different tank cars. The tank was wood with a metal faced paper overlay. I think I have 3 or 4 of them but they are wood and paper. If I do post them it will be here, but some other thread.
frank

Not to waste a post I place a tank car photo here. It is an old 1050's 50' Texaco Tank car distributed by International Model products. IMP.
frank

The first tank car I posted was Mobilgass SVX 918. I have a second one SVX 916. I post it now with only a few photos between it and the first one posted.
frank

Here is an all brass tank car made in Japan and importer by the Silvine co. I would say released in the late 1950s. I lettered the car using a set of champ decals for Pennsylvania's RR Empire Tank Line.
frank

Another Silvine all brass tank car this time I chose to make it Victor petroleum. 
frank

My last Silvine all brass tank car. This one is lettered for TYDOL VEEDOL  
frank