Vintage HO Trains.
Here is another Boxed HObbyline train set. This one is Set #411 "The Wall Street" a Lehigh Valley commuter set. It is powered by Hobbyline's FM H12-44 pulling a heavyweight passenger set of one combine and 2 coaches. 
frank

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
Another boxed set I have is the 1954 Union Pacific freight set # 425 "The Hilltopper".
frank

opps incorrect info in photo. Set # is 425,not 125. 

At the Edison NJ train show last Saturday, my HObbyline find was the 4 passenger cars to the PRR set #456 "Train Blazer". They are in excellent condition. I need to get 4 original couplers from I hope other 1954-1955 HObbyline cars I have in my collection. The older 1953 couplers work just as well! This second complete set of these 4 passenger cars may be in better condition than my first set. People knowing of and going to this train show may have seen in the past an older gentleman who sometimes had a sign over his 2 tables which read "POP'S TRAINS". This kind outgoing fellow always had time to talk about and show you his latest project repairs and sometimes restoration of the HO train. Last Saturday was no exception for POP's. He stops whatever he is doing, and he was still very busy because the train show had not opened just yet, He gladly started a conversation on a Rivarossi B&O pacific which he produced from nowhere and explained to me in the smallest of detail what he felt he needs to do to get the beautiful old locomotive back to a pristine condition. Me I probably had the biggest stupid-looking smile on my face as he not noticing that the show had opened and people were charging around looking here and there for that special train. He finished in a little while and I asked about if he had some HObbyline trains. Again out of nowhere came this 4 car passenger set He told me what he wanted and being a good price I got it. Of course, I haggled a little and got nowhere. "THANKS POP".

FRANK
Nice story about your train-show find, Frank, and "POP" sounds like some of the nicer guys I've chatted with at train shows around here, although we haven't been able to have one for a couple of years now.  I'm hoping that that will change in November, but there's no guarantee.

Wayne
DOC. Well here in New Jersey the shows are returning, it is just too bad about the ones we lost. 
 frank
I didn't like the Penn Haven side of my hill so I removed almost all of one side and rebuilt it. After I finished the trackwork for the crossover diamonds on the Penn Haven side I knew I had to do something with new tunnel openings. Instead of 4 separate openings, I have one big one. When taking down the old hill I decided to widen the top on the hill and redo the lower border of the hill decreasing its footprint. Well pushing in the bottom, and widening the top gives me a stepper hillside to give me more space for Penn Haven buildings. Oh well, the hill has been redone. For now.
frank

Varney Tank Cars.

On Jan 27-2021 I posted here in this Vintage HO Trains thread some photos and info on Varney tank cars. Varney made HO tank cars which maybe were about 8 to 10 thousand gallon types. Most were made in two types riveted seams and welded seams.  I do remember I mentioned that this certain tank car had two different recording numbers. Sinclair was the road name I spoke of. Actually in the Sinclair road name the common number is SDRX 38001. I showed the rare one SDRX 38000. 38001 is made in the two different tank styles both riveted and welded seams. A third Sinclair tank car was made by Varney. This one is painted black and numbered SORX 8847.  Now though all 3 are branded Varney on their bottoms, one was not sold by Varney but by Penn Line. Varney made this special for Penn-Line and was used in Penn lines, I think, only set that had a tank car in it. You can look online at the Hoseeker site and view the catalogs they have. You will see no tank car in any of them. I do remember seeing another Penn Line catalog, and don’t recall the date on it, which showed a set with a black Sinclair tank car in it. I do believe that this black tank car I have is this Penn Line version of the Sinclair tank car. I will post all three Varney branded Sinclair tank cars.  Am waiting for a Greenberg guide on Varney trains to be delivered. A fellow (friend) collector said the information is in this guide book. It is very hard to find info on HO cars specially made for release by other concerns. I do hope I wont have to edit this post.

Frank

Vintage Varney freight car
[/quote]

This space was left intentionally to allow for my 2 other Sinclair tank cars to be posted here so info on these cars would be together. Also because one is rarer then 38000 and is a all black model for Varney's 8,000 gallon tank car. The poor quality of this site doesn't allow editing to replace incorrect with correct text or better photos. This mistake will remain forever with this blog. Here you have the ability to make a quality site for storing old dated train information and you choose to make a blog out of it. It is ashamed that you don't know how to use what you have. Varney Sinclair tank cars that I know of are . Sinclair, silver with black lettering SDRX 38001 is the most common of the cars. Sinclair, silver with black lettering SDRX 38000 is very much harder to find ( in 50 years of collecting I have but one, while with 38001 I have seen hundreds. I do know that more were made.) Last is Sinclair, black with white lettering SORX 8847 (again I only have one). This I found a month ago at a flea market. If it wasn't for a friend who noticed and directed me to it I wouldn't have it. I have searched for 8847 for over 30 years and just couldn't locate one. 
frank 
Now here are photos of the three with a forth type of 8000 gallon Varney tank car, the welded seem tank car also in the common number 38001.

Varney riveted seam 8,000 gal tank car # SDRX 30001. Silver and black lettering.

Varney riveted seam 8,000 gal tank car # SDRX 38000. Silver and black lettering.

Varney riveted seam 8,000 gal tank car # SDRX 30001. Black with white lettering.

Varney welded seam 8,000 gal tank car # SDRX 30001. Silver and black lettering.

It is hard for me to post here knowing I can't edit after a certain amount of time. Information changes and what was an informative post becomes quite less. It annoys me to read this less than it should be posted. But their is nothing I can do about it. I hate to separating information on a subject as happens here. It is like someone is speaking and stuttering. You lose site of what they are saying.
frank toptrain1
An Aristocraft Diecast C&O Mountain 4-8-2 locomotive.  This is the largest steam locomotive they made in this the Distinctive Miniatures and the Historic series of locomotives. The next largest is a Frisco Mikado. Going down in size were the 4-6-0, 4-4-2, 4-2-2, 2-8-0, 2-6-0, 2-4-2, 0-6-0 saddle tank, 0-4-0 switcher all were made in Japan by the New One company.  For other importers they made other diecast locomotives also produced brass steam locomotives, wood, and metal boxcar and reefer kits. Other related HO items. 
frank

[attachment=37572

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks Frank, I really enjoy reading about all these wonderful vintage trains that got many of us started in the hobby. 68 years ago I can remember going to the local five and dime store and buying car kits, yet I can't remember what I bought, and Even though I know I built them I can't remember doing them. I do know they were lost when we moved several years later.
Charlie
(01-19-2021, 06:29 AM)toptrain Wrote: Being 90% of what I have is vintage trains, I'll share them here.
frank

'll start with a small freight set by HObbyline. Set was released in 1956. A little NYC 0-4-0t shuttles a couple of freight cars on a short local run.
This is actually a HObbyline 1956 train set #412 "the Shuttle Bug" as it would be seen in an old 1956 catalog. The freight cars and the caboose are all original in fit and finish, Even the road names are the same on the loco and cars as seen in the 56 catalogs. 
toptrain here once again.
That was and still is one of my old HObbyline sets. Just looking to see if it is easier to upload photos to this site now. Nope! On keying insert an image it still asks for a link to a photo site. i dont do photo sites anymore. So, I guess you won't be seeing the other 29 HObbyline sets I have photos of. I cat tell you things about HObbyline HO trains. For one HObbyline always lettered their name by starting with H and O in capitol form. These first two letters were always surrounded by a circle. the remaining letters bbyline were lower case.  Almost all HObbyline locomotives had their name printed somewhere on them. When I look at my photo of the 7 different FM H12-44's they made just black with the HObbyline name, PRR in 1954 UP was added. In1955 C&O, AT&SF. LVRR, Western Pacific and Erie. 1955 was the year the most new road names were added to their Locomotives, 5. In 1956 NYC was added to a new locomotive the 0-4-0t and the B&O was added. In 1957 a UP set and a PRR set was released. This was the last year for HObbyline. In 1953 the origin split knuckle coupler was used. In 1954 and 1955 a used thicker version of the split knuckle was used. In 1953 and 1954 the road-name on the caboose matched that on the locomotive. In 1955 and 1956 all cabooses used the HObbyline road-name and it was printed in either white and yellow. Whichever matched the color of the road-name on the locomotive. In 1957 the 2 sets released were a small UP set and a PRR set. Again, as in 1953-54 the road-name on the caboose matched the locomotive road-name.  These hints and what is seen in the Catalogs as too new releases will help you date the railroad cars you add to your collection. The catalogs released were of 2 types. an early preview catalog form 1954, 55, 56 and retail catalogs for 1953, 54, 55, 56, and 57. I would post pictures of these catalogs but here I can't. HObbyline released 30 catalogued train sets and 2 uncatalogued ones I know of. There were uncatalogued cars also. I have 2 of them.
Frank, when I post photos I do it from my files, I do not store pictures on line. This is what the post looks like to start.     
I have posted as many as 15 photos at a time by selecting them all from my computer You too should be given the option to click in the box and select your pictures from your files 
Posting pictures is a lot better than it used to be and there is a 500kb size limit to each file now
Charlie
While I usually keep a lot of my photos on discs, the ones stored on photobucket (almost 8,000) generally can't be used here, unless  re-size them.  The word below appears instead of the picture.

null

If I want to put that photo here, I have to click-on "view image info" at photobucket, then "save as" a file on my computer.

The car shown is an oldy, originally a Varney kit lettered for UTLX.  I later upgraded it with some better-looking brake gear, and re-lettered it in honour of my wife's father...now gone for quite some time.

Wayne
<p><br></p>