Adding ditch lights to a DC engine
Hello,
I have recently bought a https://www.walthers.com/emd-gp9-phase-2-w-chopped-nose-standard-dc-norfolk-southern-2000-black-white
I want to add ditch lights to the circuit board and have bought these:
https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/rapido-bits-ho-diesel/rapido-bits-ho-operating-ho-scale-deck-mounted-ditch-lights
Can anyone please provide some guidance?
I'll probably not be much help, Sean, as the only lighting on my layout is what's in the ceiling, lighting the room. 

However, I have recently done a DCC installation (dead rail, actually) for a friend, and the instructions note that the LEDs for the headlight and back-up light each require a 470 ohm resistor.  I can't say if that value is appropriate for DC or not, but I'm pretty sure that you'll need a resistor (or resistors) for your ditch lights. 

If there's no information included with the Rapido ditch lights, (I've read that the proper resistors are on the motherboard, but don't know if that item was included with your ditchlights) I'd suggest contacting Rapido, as they're usually quite helpful.  There's a link HERE.

Wayne
(05-09-2021, 06:15 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: I'll probably not be much help, Sean, as the only lighting on my layout is what's in the ceiling, lighting the room. 

However, I have recently done a DCC installation (dead rail, actually) for a friend, and the instructions note that the LEDs for the headlight and back-up light each require a 470 ohm resistor.  I can't say if that value is appropriate for DC or not, but I'm pretty sure that you'll need a resistor (or resistors) for your ditch lights. 

If there's no information included with the Rapido ditch lights, (I've read that the proper resistors are on the motherboard, but don't know if that item was included with your ditchlights) I'd suggest contacting Rapido, as they're usually quite helpful.  There's a link HERE.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I hope your well and enjoying the spring down there. I have put in an email to Walthers and to Rapido and am waiting on the answers from them and will let you know what I find. We have in Kingston been home to CN's GP9's servicing our few industries and I liked the latest Walthers offering so with cab shades and the ditch lights I am hoping it looks similar.

Thanks again, 

The Mikado by the way continues to wow as we send it off each day around the house.

Sean and the gang
Spring seems be be a little shy about making an appearance, but I'm sure it will get here eventually.

It's good to hear that your Mikado is performing well, too.

Cheers,

Wayne
(05-09-2021, 09:45 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Spring seems be be a little shy about making an appearance, but I'm sure it will get here eventually.

It's good to hear that your Mikado is performing well, too.

Cheers,

Wayne

I have received a helpful reply from Walthers complete with a wiring diagram, very helpful indeed.

Attached Files
.pdf   Walthers 21mtc Mother Board - Narrow - Public.pdf (Size: 329.19 KB / Downloads: 229)