tompm's 2021 Do Something Challenge part 3
Next up is the Pullman Walters Heavyweight 12-1

[Image: 2PzxBTq.jpg]

This guy does not uncouple or derail. However, it is very difficult to couple. I again feel this is due to the plastic couplers.

[Image: xe4Yk92.jpg]

[Image: iZPt9JT.jpg]
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
I replaced the plastic couplers with Kadee #5 couplers. These plastic couplers were the type that did not have a spring. I discovered one of them was opening too wide which is what was making it difficult to couple.

[Image: CJX1EZM.jpg]

[Image: erWngHy.jpg]
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
A quick update on the Bachmann Diner. I have pretty much given up on the car for now. From everything I can figure the solution will be removing the coupler box and replacing it with a body mounted one that does not swivel. At the moment I am not in the mood to deal with such drastic measures.

I found another Diner online for a reasonable price. Tonight I was changing out the hook and horn couplers and guess what? It has the same problem with the same coupler box as the one I already owned. Now I am wondering if there is some defect in the way these were assembled or designed.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
I'm not familiar with the Bachmann set-up for couplers, but your last photo shows that the car's floor must be improperly installed, as the steps are crooked, as if the floor is pushed too far into the carbody.

A small block of styrene, cemented to the inside of the car's end, could ensure that the floor remains properly positioned, which might help with the coupler's performance (or lack thereof).

Wayne
(06-16-2021, 10:55 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: I'm not familiar with the Bachmann set-up for couplers, but your last photo shows that the car's floor must be improperly installed, as the steps are crooked, as if the floor is pushed too far into the carbody.

Wayne if you are referring to the green Pullman above, that is not a Bachmann but a Walthers Heavyweight. The step is a separate piece and in this case it popped out when I was removing the coupler box cover. I put it back in place but as I see now I need to push it in further to make sure it has fully snapped into place. Photos of the Diner are on the previous page.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
I need to post a quick update, hopefully later tonight with a few photos.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery