Holiday videos 4
…but you might try just inserting them as links which have no limits…”

Don, there are ffolkess that say that if the Bear had half a brain, the other half would be lonely!! They may have a point!! Icon_redface

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEz53Ed7...annel=Bear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMkRRBT0...annel=Bear

The TSS Earnslaw, built in Dunedin, 1911, then dismantled, and railed, as a kitset, to Kingston at the southern end of Lake Wakatipu where she was rebuilt and launched in 1912. She was then in service with the New Zealand Railways for 57 years, transporting cargo, sheep and passengers to the high-country stations that bounded the lake.
I have fond memories sailing on her, while still in NZR service, as a youngster and was very pleased to be able to rekindle those memories.

Cheers, the Bear. Icon_e_smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
WOW!

Never seen that before, two 3-cylinder compounds whirring in the engine room an a further 2-Cyl. aux. coumpound too Icon_e_surprised 
And all that on this small ship.

Lutz
Yeah, Lutz, it’s an amazing bit of kit, and it’s great to be now able to get right into the engine room. It’s also popular, and I found it hard to get an uninterrupted video; and it might be because I’m a getting to be a bit of a dinosaur, but I was surprised by the number of young ladies who found also it fascinating.

"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
(09-16-2021, 11:50 PM)JaBear Wrote: ....I found it hard to get an uninterrupted video; and it might be because I’m a getting to be a bit of a dinosaur, but I was surprised by the number of young ladies who found also it fascinating.

Hey Bear, if you're going to be interrupted, young ladies might be the best interruption you could have.

Wayne
 ....young ladies might be the best interruption you could have.

I find it hard to disagree Wayne, but I 'm quite sure that Her-in-Doors would not see it, that way.  Nope Icon_lol Icon_lol
(09-17-2021, 01:46 PM)JaBear Wrote:  ....young ladies might be the best interruption you could have.

I find it hard to disagree Wayne, but I 'm quite sure that Her-in-Doors would not see it, that way.  Nope Icon_lol Icon_lol

Yeah, I'd get the same reaction here, too, but surely SWMBO knows that young ladies wouldn't be interested in "old guys" unless we looked like we might have some serious cash....I wouldn't know how to even fake that, never ever having had a surplus of dough.

Wayne
Great picture JaBear---makes an interesting background scene.

Yeah, it does, looks good!! 
The last freight trains, in 1979, to Kingston, the railhead at the southern end of Lake Wakatipu, were hauled by the NZR Dj class, built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, entering service in 1968. However, I have yet to find a photo of one with the TSS Earnslaw.
But the branch was long serviced by the Ab class 4-6-2 Pacific’s, and here is a photo, courtesy of the Lakes District Museum.

While the TSS Earnslaw was mainly to service Queenstown and the high-country sheep stations around the lake, because of the area, she was also popular with tourists. My Granddad wrote, Easter 1925, of having to stay in Queenstown for a week because the Earnslaw was booked out by tourists.
I can well remember being asked along with all the other passengers to go to the top deck because, sheep were to be loaded at Walter Peak Station. The Americans, on board were most amazed, and there was much clicking of cameras. Courtesy of Walter Peak Station.

NZR Dj class.