Boswald Connection, shunting layout
New to the Forum, so hi there everybody!

So, I got to this forum through a YouTube video from The Pixel Depot that took inspiration from a layout here: 59th and Rust
Now I would like to document and discuss my journey into making my own layout.
I am living in Germany and my "play" layout will be modeling a fictional place here, but still decided to post here for the reasons above.
Hoping it could be interesting and would love to get any feedback.

As a kid, I inherited a simple analog layout with one siding that I ended up passing on to my nephew.
Back then, I did barely have the skills to build together a simple plastic kit without modifications.
Frankly, only driving in circles started to bore me to tears.

This time around I have the following:
- a 2m * 60cm baseplate (6,56 foot * 1,97 foot / 78,74 inch * 23,6 inch, what do you use?)
- a V60 small Diesel Shunting locomotive
- Some freight wagons (6 running, 3 needing DC wheels, 5 bought)
- Too many tools, but no clue

The idea for my layout is a small shunting yard a little off the main line.
Once having only a small woodworking shop in the basement of a house, it grew.
Now holding a larger woodworking shop, a brewery, a small good shed and a team track.
Easy to see that this yard is too small for the amount of traffic.

Hoping the pictures want to attach, and happy to no longer be lurking only
Kitty

[attachment=39810]        
Playing with trains in scale 1:87 and 1:1
My modeling motto: “too many tools, but no clue”
New to the Forum, so hi there everybody!

So, I got to this forum through a YouTube video from The Pixel Depot that took inspiration from a layout here: 59th and Rust
Now I would like to document and discuss my journey into making my own layout.
I am living in Germany and my "play" layout will be modeling a fictional place here, but still decided to post here for the reasons above.
Hoping it could be interesting and would love to get any feedback.

As a kid, I inherited a simple analog layout with one siding that I ended up passing on to my nephew.
Back then, I did barely have the skills to build together a simple plastic kit without modifications.
Frankly, only driving in circles started to bore me to tears.

This time around I have the following:
- a 2m * 60cm baseplate (6,56 foot * 1,97 foot / 78,74 inch * 23,6 inch, what do you use?)
- a V60 small Diesel Shunting locomotive
- Some freight wagons (6 running, 3 needing DC wheels, 5 bought)
- Too many tools, but no clue

The idea for my layout is a small shunting yard a little off the main line.
Now holding a larger woodworking shop, a brewery, a small good shed and a team track.

Kitty

[attachment=39810]        
Hello Kitty---welcome to Big Blue---looking forward to watching the progress on your layout.
Hello Kitty
        Welcome. I look forward to your building experience and  hope you will join us in the many other threads with your thoughts about our progress too. 
What you have posted so far shows a lot of thought went into your layout.
Charlie
Kitty,

The nice thing about your track plan is that it can easily be expanded in multiple directions. I see what you have as a potential for a major interchange between a couple of railroads - maybe a short line interchange with a major carrier. At any rate, it's a great place to start!
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
Welcome Kitty, glad you found us. Everyone loves photos, and it looks like you got a nice start, so keep us posted on you progress. Need any help, just ask, there are many very talented modelers here that are walking encyclopedias
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Welcome to Big Blue Kitty. I am going to be enjoying watching your progress.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
I'm afraid that's not me, but my partner.
He is the reason we got all the tools, now still have to get a clue  Blush

He is doing the electronics and helping me learn 3D modelling.
However, with laser cut track-bed-raisers, I am in way over my head.
Will show some pictures of those when they are on the layout.

(thanks for the hint though, should take more care of what's in the picture)

Kitty
Welcome Kitty - Nice looking layout so far Smile Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
(01-06-2023, 03:03 PM)Kitty Wrote: my layout is a small shunting yard a little off the main line.

Kitty

Hello Kitty,
Looks like your layout will be  a lot of fun!

I am curious about your loaded gondola.  
What did you use, it looks like maybe a roller from a printer?
I am always looking for bits and pieces I can use for loads.
--Hillyard
So got a small update, even if my last post was just before the weekend.

I am for now planning the following buildings:
- Small residential farmhouse that used to hold a carpenter shop in the downstairs barn.
- Carpenter shop that the company expanded into later.
- Loading dock with goods shed (and team track).
- Brewery with partial indoors loading dock with closeable doors.

So the indoor loading dock entry opening is too high and looks too much "1001 nights" somehow.
The height I will adjust, the "1001 nights" I hope will go away with painting.

I will see if I can make a sketch on the track plan with where I plan my buildings, as soon as I decided on those. I have decided to take 5 degrees off the overall angle with the use of flex track, the part that is overhanging would become a staging stick. Struggling a tiny bit with empty space, but don't want to fill everything, it's not the big city.

Today I gave a first shot at painting, painted one of my older version of the little house. I suppose I will need filler to hide the laser cutting tabs. Trying normal wall paint to see how the texture looks on that, will report back next time.

@hilyard999 the goods wagon that you see on the initial picture holds a spool of sewing thread, sewing did quickly fail to interest me as a hobby so I decided to repurpose it temporarily till I get around to the cars. The other wagon is now filled with laser-cutting scraps (they might dunked in grey paint later).

Kitty
Hi Kitty.
     If the high building door you mention is the one in the first picture with the goods wagon it is my opinion, for what it is worth, that the door ifs a perfect size. Higher doors would allow for taller loads or cars in the future. 
      Everything is looking good.
Charlie
Hi Kitty
       Anything new to report? We have been waiting patiently.  Icon_e_biggrin
Charlie
Shocked 
Thank you Charlie for the little kick, I was sick last week but fair, lazy poking before that  Icon_redface
I do got an update however!

So first things first, I got many materials. Sure, I had a cute idea, but I was severely lacking in landscaping options:

So I got (and cut) the pieces for the frame that will go below the baseplate.
This will be both to hide the electronics from view and to provide stability.
Also, I got 2 cm (+- 0.8 inch) plates of XPS foam, which I intend to double up for most areas.

Then I did a few paint tests:

I am not entirely sure about the brown area yet.
In the first picture I am using (cheap) paint directly, I like it, but the texture is a little off.
(yes I was lazy, didn't make a full trim Icon_e_biggrin )
On the other I painted over a layer of white paint, which makes it glossy, yuk...

I went by the store since last time and got one wagon fixed and for one wheels replaced, they did not even charge me.
Would like to say "Thanks Märklin", you just added your store as a to-go-to for scenery items and Trixx rolling stock just cause of great service.
Together with getting some more rolling stock it starts to look more lively:

We might be a little slow with the big works, our workshop is not insulated and it's snowing outside...
Next update will likely be a bit more about our custom electronics, stay tuned and thanks for the patience!
Kitty, thanks for the update. It is going swell.  The foam board you show, is that wrapped with some kind of metal grid? I have never seen anything like that. 
Keep up the good work.I am sorry you were sick, it has been going around here too.
Charlie
(01-30-2023, 11:18 AM)Charlie B Wrote: Kitty, thanks for the update. It is going swell.  The foam board you show, is that wrapped with some kind of metal grid? I have never seen anything like that. 
Keep up the good work.I am sorry you were sick, it has been going around here too.
Charlie

Hi there Charlie,

if you happen to be sick too, get well soon!

no metal grid, just some form of texture.
I might have to smooth it down somewhat, but it was the most affordable option.
(otherwise 70 euro / 75 dollar pack of foam)
I will make more detailed pictures of it when I get to cutting it, but need the frame first.

Kitty