A 1980's sleeper truck cab
This will be the fourth wooden puzzle that I've put together. It is a 1980's style sleeper cab at 1:40 scale. There were 287 pieces, about the same as the 1910's era car, and physically just a bit smaller when finished.

Rather than post progress photos as I went along, I'll just post a few that I took from start to finish, since it is completed at this point. The only mods I made to this model was to add clear plastic to the glass openings. One of these days I might go back and detail the interior a bit, I think a wooden pillow and mattress might be a bit much to sleep on, as are those wooden seats uncomfortable for a long haul.

This is the intent on what it's supposed to look like when finished:

Steps 1 & 2 completed the chassis

Steps 3 & 4 added the cab

Step 5 added the sleeper

Step 6 the engine compartment and exhaust pipes added

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Steps 7-10 put on fenders and cab doors

Steps 11 & 12 put on wheels and completed the project

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Those kits are amazing Don. I am glad you enjoy doing them. I have been assembling some blue box. Easy Walther's nd roundhouse kits. I enjoy doing it and I am saddened that they no longer sell these kits, nor is there a market. The young folks just starting in the hobby have missed a lot.

Keep on truckin'

Charlie
That looks awesome, Don. It came out very nicely.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Awesome and fast as well Don! You have become a master at these kits!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thank you guys, they do seem to becoming easier, (this one took about a few hours a day for a week or so), especially those from this one manufacturer. The parts are mostly in sequence starting on sheet A, the first one I did had me shuffling parts from different sheets on the same step. Plus the parts fit better. So now that I'm a step closer to being a "professional" wooden puzzle maker, I have in my possession the mother of all puzzles, a pinball machine. There are close to 500 pieces to it and lots of electronic parts because it actually works. Icon_e_surprised Bumpers, flippers keeping scores and plays music. That's not only going to be fun to build, but fun to play afterwards. BTW, the instruction book is 54 pages long. Eek
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Real nice Smile

Does one normally paint these things? I've seen those metal kits at the hobby shop - has anyone tried one of those?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
(02-15-2024, 11:26 AM)nachoman Wrote: Real nice Smile

Does one normally paint these things?  I've seen those metal kits at the hobby shop - has anyone tried one of those?

Thanks, I saw one of those pinball machines painted, lots of work but looked great. I thought about painting the antique car, I still may but it might be easier to have done it before assembly. I want to detail and paint the interior of the truck, but I'm going to have to remove several parts to get to it. Again, I should have thought of that before I went too far. Have not been to a hobby shop in years. Didn't have anything I could use when I got there. Are you talking about the Hobby Bench?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Great work Don. It would be cool to see you paint these but it would take a lot of work.
Matt
I can smell a steam post ten blocks away and when I do clear the tracks because the steam express will be hi ballin through
http://cambriaindiana.weebly.com/
(02-15-2024, 01:46 PM)ezdays Wrote:
(02-15-2024, 11:26 AM)nachoman Wrote: Real nice Smile

Does one normally paint these things?  I've seen those metal kits at the hobby shop - has anyone tried one of those?

Thanks, I saw one of those pinball machines painted, lots of work but looked great. I thought about painting the antique car, I still may but it might be easier to have done it before assembly. I want to detail and paint the interior of the truck, but I'm going to have to remove several parts to get to it. Again, I should have thought of that before I went too far. Have not been to a hobby shop in years. Didn't have anything I could use when I got there. Are you talking about the Hobby Bench?

No, Hobby Lobby, but you can buy them elsewhere and online. 

3D Metal Model Kits (metalearth.com)
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->