Rail and rail weathering
Over the years I have taken several photos of rail and track work so I think it is time to share them. Todd is weathering his rail on his track and I thought these photos would be of interest to other people. I find it easier to caption with edits so standby while I finish the post. Charlie 
This is a picture of the rail on the KJR and the ballast is about 9 years old. Notice the rust from the rail and tie plates is also running onto the stone.      This one shows the general track and the rust that ocurs. This is class one track, good for 10 MPH freight and 15MPH passenger.      The next 2 show 130 pound (per yard) Pennsylvania Standard rail rolled in 1928. The slashes indicate the month        
Big Grin 
Following is a compromise joint. Rail sizes change and special joint bars were used to compensate for the difference in rail height and width. I had a new crossover installed on the KJR and the contractor had folks that did not know there were rights, Lefts, and inner and outer bars. Ihey had the bars reversed so the rail heads were aligned on the outside. They were going to build the rail up with weld on the inside to match. I told the job forman it would be much better to put them in the right place.  Icon_e_biggrin  They switched them around and that did the job, They had never done anything that needed comp bars so it was a learning experience for them too. Unfortunately I don't have a photo to show the top of the rail head.       This next photo shows the same thing done with a thermit weld. Going from 136 PS rail to 132 RE.     
The last I have to offer are photos of Koppers Co. Insulated joints. The prototype uses them too.           Last I have a section of mainline taken in 1977 that shows the difference in the color of the side. I have noticed the newer rail tends to appear more of a gray/blue than the older.     
Charlie
Thanks Charlie! Good to see there's variability in the rust and color!

I guess track weathering is a lot like giving birth. A day after that tedium I feel like I might be able to do some more tonight if pressed into service. Last night? No way...
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows