Glen's diesel rebuild thread

Moderator: doctorwayne

Re: Glen's diesel rebuild thread

Postby Charlie B » Nov 2nd, '17, 12:24

They look great and I am sure they now run great together.
Charlie
Charlie B
Tycoon

Postby cnrglen » Apr 14th, '18, 18:43

After taking a bit of time off I decided to start a new Diesel project:

I managed to find this little fellow at a swap meet a few years back. Unfortunately it's the unpowered version But I may be able to find a decent power truck for it that I can easily convert to DCC later.

Not a lot of parts to it but I think I may add some details during the build.

cnrglen
Conductor

Postby cnrglen » Apr 15th, '18, 16:35

I did start assembly last night.

I drilled out the grab iron holes in the four walls and then glued them together.

The roof ends need to be sanded round, the instructions give you a template as a guide.

I glued the roof on to the cab and while the glue set up I started on the chassis. The side frames are screwed to the frame. there are two sets of screw holes in the frame, one for HO, one for HOn3.

This is where the project stand now. I'm going to add the air tanks to the roof, as well as a bell and horn. I'll add the grabs after painting as they will interfere with my paint masking and decal placement. The cab is a friction fit to the chassis, so later changes to a powered unit will be easier. I do notice I have to fill in the cab corners just a bit as I slightly over did the roof rounding.
cnrglen
Conductor

Postby e-paw » Apr 15th, '18, 19:41

Interesting little critter ;) . Do you have any ideas on how you are going to power it?
My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew
e-paw
Engineer

Postby cnrglen » Apr 15th, '18, 22:40

Ideally I'd like to find the Grandt line powering kit for it. But I doubt I can find it at a reasonable price if I can find one at all. Alternatively I'd like to try to adapt one of the power trucks off an early Bachmann 44 ton as I''ve seen other modelers use.
cnrglen
Conductor

Previous

Return to HO Modeling